1961 FA Cup Final

The 1961 FA Cup Final was the 80th final of the FA Cup. It took place on 6 May 1961 at Wembley Stadium and was contested between Tottenham Hotspur and Leicester City.

Tottenham won the match 2–0, with Bobby Smith and Terry Dyson scoring the goals. Having already won the League, Spurs became the first club to achieve the Double since Aston Villa in 1897.

1961 FA Cup Final
Event1960–61 FA Cup
Tottenham Hotspur Leicester City
2 0
Date6 May 1961
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeJohn Kelly (Eccleston)

Road to Wembley

Tottenham Hotspur

Home teams listed first.

Round 3 Tottenham Hotspur 3–2 Charlton Athletic

Round 4 Tottenham Hotspur 5–1 Crewe Alexandra

Round 5 Aston Villa 0–2 Tottenham Hotspur

Round 6 Sunderland 1–1 Tottenham Hotspur

Replay Tottenham Hotspur 5–0 Sunderland

Semi-final Tottenham Hotspur 3–0 Burnley (at Villa Park, Birmingham)

Leicester City

Home teams listed first.

Round 3 Leicester City 3–1 Oxford United

Round 4 Leicester City 5–1 Bristol City

Round 5 Birmingham City 1–1 Leicester City

Replay Leicester City 2–1 Birmingham City

Round 6 Leicester City 0–0 Barnsley

Replay Barnsley 1–2 Leicester City (a.e.t.)

Semi-final Leicester City 0–0 Sheffield United (at Elland Road, Leeds)

Replay Leicester City 0–0 Sheffield United (a.e.t.) (at City Ground, Nottingham)
2nd Replay Leicester City 2–0 Sheffield United (a.e.t.) (at St Andrews, Birmingham)

Match summary

Leicester frustrated Tottenham Hotspur in the early exchanges but when full-back Len Chalmers damaged his right leg twenty minutes into the match,[1] Tottenham looked to capitalise. They were unfortunate to see Cliff Jones' goal disallowed for offside in the 38th minute and the first half ended goalless.

The second half kicked off in the same vein as the first had ended until the deadlock was broken in the 66th minute. England striker Bobby Smith latched on to a pass from Terry Dyson, turned neatly and smashed the ball past Gordon Banks. The goal naturally lifted Spurs and nine minutes later victory was sealed, when Smith returned the compliment and crossed to Dyson to head home the second to complete the Double.


The match was broadcast live by the BBC with live coverage to twelve other European countries. In the United Kingdom the match commentator was Kenneth Wolstenholme, former player Walley Barnes was also pitchside with a radio cameraman to capture the atmosphere before the game and also interview the players during the buildup. He was called upon only once during the match itself to comment on the injury to Chalmers. Many other countries broadcast either a full delayed match cast or edited highlights. The telecast was shown in its entirety in the United States by the American Broadcasting Company (ABC) on Wide World of Sports two weeks later on 20 May. The contest was the first overseas event to appear on the sports anthology series. The Chalmers storyline was played up to the point that "Poor old Chalmers" became a familiar phrase among fans of the television program.[1]

Almost all the television, radio and newspaper commentators predicted a comfortable Tottenham victory but in post game reports all agreed that Spurs had looked out of sorts during the opening fifteen minutes and it was only when Chalmers was injured that they began to dominate the game, again leading to cries for the introduction of substitutes in future. For their part Leicester were considered a little unlucky, though few reporters were willing to go as far as to say that the result would have been any different had the injury to Chalmers not occurred.

Chalmers himself left the field with ten minutes of the game remaining, at which point Tottenham were comfortably in front and any likely chance of a Leicester victory had evaporated. He was unable to return to collect his loser's medal.

The match was broadcast in black and white as a cup final special edition of the Saturday afternoon sports programme Grandstand however cinema viewers experienced a first when the traditional pre movie newsreels of both Pathé and Movietone broadcast their match reports in colour.

Match details

Tottenham Hotspur
Leicester City
1 Scotland Bill Brown
2 England Peter Baker
3 England Ron Henry
4 Northern Ireland Danny Blanchflower (c)
5 England Maurice Norman
6 Scotland Dave Mackay
7 Wales Cliff Jones
8 Scotland John White
9 England Bobby Smith
10 England Les Allen
11 England Terry Dyson
England Bill Nicholson
1 England Gordon Banks
2 England Len Chalmers
3 England Richie Norman
4 Scotland Frank McLintock
5 Scotland Ian King
6 England Colin Appleton
7 England Howard Riley
8 Scotland Jimmy Walsh (c)
9 Scotland Hughie McIlmoyle
10 England Ken Keyworth
11 England Albert Cheesebrough
Scotland Matt Gillies

Match rules

  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Replay if scores still level.


  1. ^ a b Wide World of Sports Highlights: 1960s – ESPN.com.

External links

1960–61 FA Cup

The 1960–61 FA Cup was the 80th season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Tottenham Hotspur won the competition for the third time, beating Leicester City 2–0 in the final at Wembley. In doing so, they became the first team to win the Double since Aston Villa in 1897.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1960–61 Football League

The 1960–61 season was the 62nd completed season of The Football League.

1960–61 in English football

The 1960–61 season was the 81st season of competitive football in England. This season was a particularly historic one for domestic football in England, as Tottenham Hotspur became the first club in the twentieth century to "do the Double" by winning both the League and the FA Cup competitions in the same season.

1961–62 Leicester City F.C. season

During the 1961–62 English football season, Leicester City F.C. competed in the Football League First Division.

Albert Cheesebrough

Albert Cheesebrough (born 17 January 1935) is an English former footballer. A forward, he scored 88 goals in 345 leagues games over a sixteen-year professional career in the Football League.Turning professional with Burnley in 1951, he spent the next eight years at the club, making 158 appearances in league and cup competitions. Signing with Leicester City in 1959, he went on to play for the "Foxes" in the 1961 FA Cup Final. He moved on to Port Vale in 1963, and after recovering from injury he became the club's top-scorer in 1964–65, before he transferred to Mansfield Town in 1965. He spent two years with Mansfield before he was forced to retire due to injury. He won one cap for the England under-23s in 1956.

Bobby Smith (footballer, born 1933)

Robert Alfred Smith (22 February 1933 – 18 September 2010) was an English footballer who played for Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, Brighton and Hove Albion and England.

Colin Appleton

Colin Harry Appleton (born 7 March 1936) is an English former footballer and manager. He was captain of the celebrated Leicester side nicknamed the "ice kings" which chased the double in 1962–63 and he also captained the club to their first ever major honour, winning the 1964 League Cup.

He later played for Charlton Athletic and Barrow, before playing for and managing Scarborough. He went on to manage Hull City, Swansea City, Exeter City and Bridlington Town.

Dave Mackay

David Craig Mackay (14 November 1934 – 2 March 2015) was a Scottish football player and manager. Mackay was best known for a highly successful playing career with Heart of Midlothian, the Double-winning Tottenham Hotspur side of 1961, and winning the league with Derby County as a manager. He also represented Scotland 22 times, and was selected for their 1958 FIFA World Cup squad. Mackay tied with Tony Book of Manchester City for the Football Writers' Association's Footballer of the Year award in 1969 and was later listed by the Football League in their "100 Legends", as well as being an inaugural inductee to both the English and Scottish Football Halls of Fame. He was described, by Tottenham Hotspur, as one of their greatest players and was known as 'the heartbeat' of their most successful ever team.

Frank McLintock

Francis "Frank" McLintock MBE (born 28 December 1939) is a former Scotland international footballer and football manager. He also worked as a sports agent and football pundit in his later life.

He began his career in Scottish Junior football with Shawfield, before earning a professional contract with English First Division club Leicester City in December 1956. He played in two FA Cup final defeats before he was sold to Arsenal for £80,000 in October 1964. He had a poor start to his career at Arsenal, though he did feature in two League Cup final defeats, but he found success at the club after being switched from right-half to centre-half in 1969. Appointed as captain he led the club to their first European trophy, the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1970. The following season, 1970–71, he captained Arsenal to the Double, as they won the league and the FA Cup. He was sold to Queens Park Rangers in June 1973 for a fee of £25,000, and helped the club to finish as First Division runners-up in 1975–76 before he announced his retirement in May 1977. He scored a total of 66 goals in 766 league and cup games in a 20-year professional career, and won nine caps for Scotland in an eight-year international career.

He was appointed manager of Leicester City in June 1977, but resigned in April 1978 with the club heading out of the First Division. After a spell coaching at QPR he returned to management with Brentford in February 1984. He took the "Bees" to the 1985 Football League Trophy Final, before he resigned in January 1987. He later worked as assistant manager at Millwall before becoming a sports agent and football pundit.

History of Tottenham Hotspur F.C.

Tottenham Hotspur F.C. is a football club in Tottenham, north London, England. Formed in 1882 as Hotspur Football Club by a group of schoolboys, it was renamed Tottenham Hotspur F.C. in 1884, and is commonly referred to as Spurs. Initially amateur, the club became professional in 1895. Spurs won the FA Cup in 1901, becoming the first non-League club to do so since the formation of the Football League. The club has won the FA Cup a further seven times, the Football League twice, the League Cup four times, the UEFA Cup twice and the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup in 1963, the first UEFA competition won by an English team. In 1960–61, Tottenham became the first team to complete The Double in the 20th century.

Tottenham played in the Southern League from 1896 until 1908, when they were elected to the Football League Second Division. They won promotion to the First Division the following year, and stayed there until the late 1920s. The club played mostly in the Second Division until the 1950s, when it enjoyed a revival, reaching a peak in the 1960s. Fortunes dipped after the early 1970s, but resurged in the 1980s. Tottenham was a founding member of the Premier League in 1992; they finished in mid-table most seasons, but now rank as one of the top six clubs.

Of the club's thirty-two managers, John Cameron was the first to win a major trophy, the 1901 FA Cup. Peter McWilliam added a second FA Cup win for the club in 1921. Arthur Rowe developed the "push and run" style of play in the 1950s and led the club to its first league title. Bill Nicholson oversaw the Double winning side as well as the most successful period of the club's history, in the 1960s and early 1970s. Later managers include Keith Burkinshaw, the second most successful in terms of major trophies won, with two FA Cups and a UEFA Cup, and Terry Venables, under whom the club won the FA Cup in 1991.

Spurs played their early games on public land at Tottenham Marshes, but by 1888 they were playing on rented ground at Northumberland Park. In 1899, the club moved to White Hart Lane, where a stadium was gradually developed. Spurs remained there until 2017. Its replacement, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, was completed in 2019 on the same site; during its construction, home matches were played at Wembley Stadium.

Jimmy Walsh (footballer, born 1930)

James Walsh (3 December 1930 – 6 August 2014) was a professional footballer who played for Celtic and Leicester City as a forward. He was a prolific goalscorer and scored the winning goals in both the finals of the 1953 Coronation Cup as well as playing in the 1955 Scottish Cup Final for Celtic. He then moved to Leicester City in 1956, where he was twice the club's top scorer in 1958-59 and 1960-61. He also played as Leicester lost the 1961 FA Cup Final. He still remains as one of Leicester's top 10 all-time top goalscorers.

Walsh died on 6 August 2014 at the age of 83.

Leicester City F.C. in European football

Leicester City Football Club is an English football club based in Leicester, Leicestershire. The club was founded in 1884 and has competed in the English football league system since 1894. The 2016–17 UEFA Champions League was their fourth appearance in Europe, following campaigns in the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1961–62, and the UEFA Cup in 1997–98 and 2000–01. Leicester have been eliminated by Atlético Madrid on three of their four European appearances. The club have also entered the Anglo-Italian Cup, the Anglo-Scottish Cup and the Texaco Cup.

Len Chalmers

Leonard Austin Chalmers (4 September 1936 – 10 February 2014) was an English former footballer who played in the Football League for Leicester City and Notts County.

Chalmers played for Corby Town before signing for Leicester City in 1956. Nicknamed 'Chopper' for his fully committed playing style, Chalmers played 80 minutes of the 1961 FA Cup Final hobbling on the wing after suffering a badly gashed shin which rendered him no more than nuisance value as no substitutions were then allowed. Leicester City lost 2-0 to Tottenham Hotspur. After leaving Notts County, he played non-league football for Dunstable Town.Chalmers died on 10 February 2014 at the age of 77. Leicester City held a minute's applause before their home game with Ipswich Town on 22 February, with Chalmers' family in attendance.

Malton School

Malton School is an 11-18 mixed comprehensive school of some 760 pupils (2010), serving the market town of Malton and the surrounding area in Ryedale, North Yorkshire, England.

Matt Gillies

Matthew Muirhead Gillies (12 August 1921 – 24 December 1998) was a Scottish football player and manager who played for, captained, coached and managed Leicester City for a total of 15 years between 1952–1955 and 1956–1968. He is the club's longest serving manager, lasting a decade in the manager's seat between November 1958 and November 1968. He took charge of Leicester for a club record 508 matches, after making 111 appearances for the club as a player.

He was manager of the Leicester side nicknamed the 'Ice Kings', which chased the double in 1962–63.

Qualifying rounds
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Charity Shields
UEFA Champions League Finals
UEFA Europa League Finals
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Finals
Other matches
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Community Shields
Football League play-off Finals
Other matches

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.