1957–58 FA Cup

The 1957–58 FA Cup was the 77th staging of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Bolton Wanderers won the competition for the fourth time, beating Manchester United 2–0 in the final at Wembley. The competition is notable for the exploits of Manchester United following the loss of much of their team in the Munich air disaster on 6 February 1958. They came through three rounds following the accident, before being beaten by Bolton in the final.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1957–58 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsAston Villa
ChampionsBolton Wanderers
(4th title)
Runners-upManchester United


Round Date
Preliminary round Saturday 7 September 1957
First qualifying round Saturday 21 September 1957
Second qualifying round Saturday 5 October 1957
Third qualifying round Saturday 19 October 1957
Fourth qualifying round Saturday 2 November 1957
First round proper Saturday 16 November 1957
Second round Saturday 7 December 1957
Third round Saturday 4 January 1958
Fourth round Saturday 25 January 1958
Fifth round Saturday 15 February 1958
Sixth round Saturday 1 March 1958
Semi finals Saturday 22 March 1958
Final Saturday 3 May 1958

First round proper

At this stage clubs from the Football League Third Division North and South joined those non-league clubs having come through the qualifying rounds. Matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 16 November 1957. Five were drawn and went to replays, with one of these going to a second replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 4–3 Gateshead 16 November 1957
2 Clapton 1–1 Queens Park Rangers 16 November 1957
Replay Queens Park Rangers 3–1 Clapton 18 November 1957
3 Bath City 2–1 Exeter City 16 November 1957
4 Dorchester Town 3–2 Wycombe Wanderers 16 November 1957
5 Rochdale 0–2 Darlington 16 November 1957
6 Reading 1–0 Swindon Town 16 November 1957
7 Wisbech Town 1–0 Colchester United 16 November 1957
8 Gillingham 10–1 Gorleston 16 November 1957
9 Wrexham 0–1 Accrington Stanley 16 November 1957
10 Bishop Auckland 0–0 Bury 16 November 1957
Replay Bury 4–1 Bishop Auckland 19 November 1957
11 Tranmere Rovers 2–1 Witton Albion 16 November 1957
12 Stockport County 2–1 Barrow 16 November 1957
13 Trowbridge Town 0–2 Southend United 16 November 1957
14 Northampton Town 3–0 Newport County 16 November 1957
15 Coventry City 1–0 Walthamstow Avenue 16 November 1957
16 Brighton & Hove Albion 2–1 Walsall 16 November 1957
17 Norwich City 6–1 Redhill 16 November 1957
18 Plymouth Argyle 6–2 Watford 16 November 1957
19 Bradford City 6–0 Scarborough 16 November 1957
20 Millwall 1–0 Brentford 16 November 1957
21 Hull City 2–1 Crewe Alexandra 16 November 1957
22 Carlisle United 5–1 Rhyl 16 November 1957
23 Oldham Athletic 2–0 Bradford Park Avenue 16 November 1957
24 Hartlepools United 5–0 Prescot Cables 16 November 1957
25 Scunthorpe United 2–1 Goole Town 16 November 1957
26 Mansfield Town 2–0 Halifax Town 16 November 1957
27 Port Vale 2–1 Shrewsbury Town 16 November 1957
28 Margate 2–3 Crystal Palace 16 November 1957
29 Durham City 3–1 Spalding United 16 November 1957
30 Southport 1–2 Wigan Athletic 16 November 1957
31 Oswestry Town 1–5 Bournemouth 16 November 1957
32 Workington 8–1 Crook Town 16 November 1957
33 York City 1–0 Chesterfield 16 November 1957
34 Aldershot 0–0 Worcester City 16 November 1957
Replay Worcester City 2–2 Aldershot 21 November 1957
Replay Aldershot 3–2 Worcester City 25 November 1957
35 Guildford City 2–2 Yeovil Town 16 November 1957
Replay Yeovil Town 1–0 Guildford City 21 November 1957
36 Newport (IOW) 0–3 Hereford United 16 November 1957
37 Boston United 5–2 Billingham Synthonia 16 November 1957
38 Peterborough United 3–3 Torquay United 16 November 1957
Replay Torquay United 1–0 Peterborough United 20 November 1957
39 South Shields 3–2 Frickley Colliery 16 November 1957
40 Walton & Hersham 1–6 Southampton 16 November 1957

Second round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 7 December 1957. Seven matches were drawn, with replays taking place later the same week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 3–3 Bradford City 7 December 1957
Replay Bradford City 3–1 Chester 11 December 1957
2 Darlington 5–3 Boston United 7 December 1957
3 Yeovil Town 2–0 Bath City 7 December 1957
4 Reading 2–1 Wisbech Town 7 December 1957
5 Stockport County 2–1 Hartlepools United 7 December 1957
6 Northampton Town 4–1 Bournemouth 7 December 1957
7 Norwich City 1–1 Brighton & Hove Albion 7 December 1957
Replay Brighton & Hove Albion 1–2 Norwich City 11 December 1957
8 Plymouth Argyle 5–2 Dorchester Town 7 December 1957
9 Millwall 1–1 Gillingham 7 December 1957
Replay Gillingham 6–1 Millwall 11 December 1957
10 Carlisle United 1–1 Accrington Stanley 7 December 1957
Replay Accrington Stanley 3–2 Carlisle United 11 December 1957
11 Oldham Athletic 1–5 Workington 7 December 1957
12 Crystal Palace 1–0 Southampton 7 December 1957
13 Scunthorpe United 2–0 Bury 7 December 1957
14 Port Vale 2–2 Hull City 7 December 1957
Replay Hull City 4–3 Port Vale 9 December 1957
15 Durham City 0–3 Tranmere Rovers 7 December 1957
16 Torquay United 1–1 Southend United 7 December 1957
Replay Southend United 2–1 Torquay United 11 December 1957
17 Hereford United 6–1 Queens Park Rangers 7 December 1957
18 Aldershot 4–1 Coventry City 7 December 1957
19 Wigan Athletic 1–1 Mansfield Town 7 December 1957
Replay Mansfield Town 3–1 Wigan Athletic 11 December 1957
20 South Shields 1–3 York City 7 December 1957

Third round proper

The 44 First and Second Division clubs entered the competition at this stage. The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 4 January 1958, although the York City–Birmingham City match was postponed until the following midweek fixture. Six matches were drawn and went to replays, with one of these requiring a second replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Burnley 4–2 Swansea Town 4 January 1958
2 Liverpool 1–1 Southend United 4 January 1958 43,454
Replay Southend United 2–3 Liverpool 8 January 1958 20,000
3 Preston North End 0–3 Bolton Wanderers 4 January 1958
4 Notts County 2–0 Tranmere Rovers 4 January 1958
5 Nottingham Forest 2–0 Gillingham 4 January 1958
6 Middlesbrough 5–0 Derby County 4 January 1958
7 West Bromwich Albion 5–1 Manchester City 4 January 1958 49,669
8 Sunderland 2–2 Everton 4 January 1958
Replay Everton 3–1 Sunderland 8 January 1958
9 Lincoln City 0–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 4 January 1958
10 Doncaster Rovers 0–2 Chelsea 4 January 1958
11 Sheffield United 5–1 Grimsby Town 4 January 1958
12 Stockport County 3–0 Luton Town 4 January 1958
13 Tottenham Hotspur 4–0 Leicester City 4 January 1958
14 Fulham 4–0 Yeovil Town 4 January 1958
15 Accrington Stanley 2–2 Bristol City 4 January 1958
Replay Bristol City 3–1 Accrington Stanley 7 January 1958
16 Bristol Rovers 5–0 Mansfield Town 4 January 1958
17 Northampton Town 3–1 Arsenal 4 January 1958
18 Portsmouth 5–1 Aldershot 4 January 1958
19 West Ham United 5–1 Blackpool 4 January 1958
20 Norwich City 1–2 Darlington 4 January 1958
21 Plymouth Argyle 1–6 Newcastle United 4 January 1958
22 Hull City 1–1 Barnsley 4 January 1958
Replay Barnsley 0–2 Hull City 8 January 1958
23 Crystal Palace 0–1 Ipswich Town 4 January 1958
24 Scunthorpe United 1–0 Bradford City 4 January 1958
25 Huddersfield Town 2–2 Charlton Athletic 4 January 1958
Replay Charlton Athletic 1–0 Huddersfield Town 8 January 1958
26 Leeds United 1–2 Cardiff City 4 January 1958
27 Workington 1–3 Manchester United 4 January 1958 21,000
28 York City 3–0 Birmingham City 8 January 1958
29 Hereford United 0–3 Sheffield Wednesday 4 January 1958
30 Stoke City 1–1 Aston Villa 4 January 1958 45,800
Replay Aston Villa 3–3 Stoke City 8 January 1958 38,939
Replay Stoke City 2–0 Aston Villa 13 January 1958
31 Rotherham United 1–4 Blackburn Rovers 4 January 1958
32 Leyton Orient 1–0 Reading 4 January 1958

Fourth round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 25 January 1958, with two matches taking place on later dates. Five matches were drawn and went to replays, which were all played in the following midweek match.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 3–1 Northampton Town 25 January 1958 56,939
2 Notts County 1–2 Bristol City 25 January 1958
3 Sheffield Wednesday 4–3 Hull City 29 January 1958
4 Wolverhampton Wanderers 5–1 Portsmouth 25 January 1958 43,952
5 West Bromwich Albion 3–3 Nottingham Forest 25 January 1958 58,163
Replay Nottingham Forest 1–5 West Bromwich Albion 29 January 1958 46,477
6 Everton 1–2 Blackburn Rovers 29 January 1958
7 Newcastle United 1–3 Scunthorpe United 25 January 1958
8 Tottenham Hotspur 0–3 Sheffield United 25 January 1958
9 Fulham 1–1 Charlton Athletic 25 January 1958
Replay Charlton Athletic 0–2 Fulham 29 January 1958
10 Bristol Rovers 2–2 Burnley 25 January 1958
Replay Burnley 2–3 Bristol Rovers 28 January 1958
11 West Ham United 3–2 Stockport County 25 January 1958
12 Manchester United 2–0 Ipswich Town 25 January 1958 53,550
13 Chelsea 3–3 Darlington 25 January 1958
Replay Darlington 4–1 Chelsea 29 January 1958
14 Cardiff City 4–1 Leyton Orient 25 January 1958
15 York City 0–0 Bolton Wanderers 25 January 1958
Replay Bolton Wanderers 3–0 York City 29 January 1958
16 Stoke City 3–1 Middlesbrough 25 January 1958 43,756

Fifth round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 15 February 1958. Two matches went to replays in the following mid-week fixture. This round is notable as containing Manchester United's first game following the Munich Air Disaster, which was postponed by four days due to the incident, with United struggling to put a team together to play. In a highly emotional game for both the players and the fans, United beat Sheffield Wednesday 3–0 to go through to the next round.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 3–4 Bristol Rovers 15 February 1958 40,000
2 Bolton Wanderers 3–1 Stoke City 15 February 1958 56,667
3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 6–1 Darlington 15 February 1958 55,778
4 Sheffield United 1–1 West Bromwich Albion 15 February 1958 55,847
Replay West Bromwich Albion 4–1 Sheffield United 19 February 1958 57,503
5 West Ham United 2–3 Fulham 15 February 1958
6 Manchester United 3–0 Sheffield Wednesday 19 February 1958 59,848
7 Scunthorpe United 0–1 Liverpool 15 February 1958 23,000
8 Cardiff City 0–0 Blackburn Rovers 15 February 1958
Replay Blackburn Rovers 2–1 Cardiff City 20 February 1958

Sixth round proper

The four quarter-final ties were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 1 March 1958. The West Bromwich Albion–Manchester United game went to a replay before United went through.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Blackburn Rovers 2–1 Liverpool 1 March 1958 51,000
2 Bolton Wanderers 2–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 March 1958 56,283
3 West Bromwich Albion 2–2 Manchester United 1 March 1958 58,574
Replay Manchester United 1–0 West Bromwich Albion 5 March 1958 66,000
4 Fulham 3–1 Bristol Rovers 1 March 1958


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 22 March 1958, with the Manchester United–Fulham match replaying on the 26th. Bolton Wanderers and Manchester United won their ties to meet in the final at Wembley.

Bolton Wanderers2–1Blackburn Rovers
Manchester United2–2Fulham
Fulham3–5Manchester United


The FA Cup final took place on 3 May 1958 at Wembley Stadium and was won by Bolton Wanderers, beating Manchester United 2–0. United had been decimated following the Munich Air Disaster, but still managed to come through three rounds of the cup following the incident before meeting Bolton in the final.

Bolton Wanderers2 – 0Manchester United
Lofthouse Goal 3' Goal 55' (Report)
Bolton Wanderers
Manchester United


1957–58 Arsenal F.C. season

During the 1957–58 English football season, Arsenal F.C. competed in the Football League First Division.

1957–58 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1957–58 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 55th in the Football League and their 31st in the First Division. They finished in 13th position in the 22-team division. They entered the 1957–58 FA Cup at the third round proper and lost in that round to York City. In the inaugural edition of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, Birmingham lost in the semi-final in a play-off, having drawn on aggregate score with Barcelona.

In February 1958, Pat Beasley joined the club. Beasley had believed he was coming as assistant to manager Arthur Turner, but chairman Harry Morris announced to the press that he was to be appointed joint manager. Turner, who found about this arrangement not from the club but from the press, threatened to resign. He was persuaded to stay "for the time being", but finally left early in the 1958–59 season.Twenty-four players made at least one appearance in nationally or internationally organised first-team competition, and there were twelve different goalscorers. Half back Dick Neal played in 44 of the 46 first-team matches over the season, and Peter Murphy finished as leading goalscorer with 23 goals in all competitions, of which 20 were scored in the league.

1957–58 Everton F.C. season

During the 1957–58 English football season, Everton F.C. competed in the Football League First Division.

1957–58 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1957–58 is the 77th season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualify]ing rounds. The 30 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1958 FA Cup Final

The 1958 FA Cup Final was contested on 3 May 1958 by Bolton Wanderers and Manchester United at Wembley Stadium, London, in front of a crowd of almost 100,000. The referee was J. Sherlock. Bolton won 2–0, with a double by Nat Lofthouse, who scored the goals in the 3rd and 55th minutes. United, who had lost the previous final to Aston Villa, had been decimated three months earlier in the Munich air disaster, and fielded only four crash survivors, along with several newcomers. Just two players featured in the United side from the previous year's final; six of them were among the dead (along with two others who had not played), two were injured to such an extent that they never played again, while another had not yet fully recovered from his injuries.

The second Bolton goal was a source of considerable controversy as it resulted from the Manchester United goalkeeper Harry Gregg being bundled over the goal line by Lofthouse. Goalkeepers were, at that time, much less protected from physical contact with opponents. The resulting debate was one of the high-profile incidents that led eventually to the situation that prevails nowadays where no contact with the opposing goalkeeper is permitted.

Not one of Bolton's 11 players in the cup-winning team cost the club a transfer fee. Five of them were full internationals. For Nat Lofthouse and Doug Holden who played in the Matthews Final five years earlier, which Bolton had dramatically lost to Blackpool it was redemption.

1988–89 in English football

The 1988–89 season was the 109th season of competitive football in England.

The season saw Arsenal win their first league title for 18 years, in dramatic fashion, as they beat defending champions Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield to clinch the title on number of goals scored. Liverpool had won the FA Cup six days earlier and for the second season running missed out on a unique second double. Third placed Nottingham Forest lifted both the Football League Cup and Full Members' Cup. The ban on English clubs was now in its fourth season and UEFA then voted for it to continue for a fifth season.

The season was overshadowed by the Hillsborough disaster on 15 April 1989, which resulted in the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans in a crowd crush at the FA Cup semi-final.

Bill Rutherford (footballer)

William John "Bill" Rutherford (23 January 1930 – 29 April 1980) was a Scottish footballer who made 16 appearances in the Scottish Football League playing for Ayr United and Stirling Albion and 427 appearances in the English Football League playing for Darlington and Southport. A wing half, he was active in league football from 1949 to 1964. He also played in Scottish junior football for Dunoon Athletic and in English non-league football for Kirkby Town.Rutherford was a member of the Darlington team that inflicted an embarrassing defeat on Chelsea, league champions only three seasons earlier, to eliminate them from the 1957–58 FA Cup by four goals to one.

Brian Henderson (English footballer)

Brian Charles Henderson (12 June 1930 – 7 November 2001) was an English footballer who made 423 appearances in the Football League playing as a full back for Darlington in the 1950s and 1960s. He was previously on the books of Newcastle United and Carlisle United, but played for neither in the League.


In association football, a player who has appeared for a football club during a knockout cup but subsequently transfers to another club is ineligible to play for the new club in the remainder of that season's cup competition. Such a player is said to be cup-tied i.e. tied to their original club for the duration of the cup tournament. They become eligible for their new club in the following season.

The rule is intended to prevent teams which progress in the competition buying talented players from teams which have already been eliminated, in an attempt to increase their chances of winning. It also discourages players from requesting a transfer once their team has been eliminated, in a quest for a championship trophy. Since the introduction of transfer windows, which the cup-tied system pre-dates, some have criticised the rule as outdated. Nevertheless it remains widely applied.

Almost all cup competitions worldwide operate a cup-tied rule, but leagues do not (as leagues do not eliminate teams during the season). Cup-tied players are only prevented from playing in that specific competition, so for example a player who is cup-tied in the FA Cup may still be eligible to play in the League Cup (or vice versa). UEFA competitions are an exception: because teams can switch between the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League during the season, UEFA has a more complex system for determining whether a player is cup-tied in one or both of those competitions.

Ebbsfleet United F.C.

Ebbsfleet United Football Club is an English football club based in Northfleet, Kent, that competes in the National League, the fifth tier of English football. The team's home ground has been Stonebridge Road since its inception in 1946.

Before 2007, the club was called Gravesend & Northfleet. Between 2008 and 2013, the club was owned by the web-based venture MyFootballClub, whose members voted on player transfers, budgets and ticket prices among other things instead of those decisions being made exclusively by the club's management and staff as at most other clubs.

Eric Bell (footballer, born 1929)

Eric Bell (27 November 1929 – 22 July 2012) was an English football wing half who played in the 1950s. He only played for one club, Bolton Wanderers, for the whole of his senior career, and made over 100 Football League appearances for them.He played for Bolton in the 1953 FA Cup Final but was injured during the game. However, he still managed to score, and put Bolton 3–1 up, although they eventually lost to Blackpool 4–3.Despite success at club level, he failed to receive a call-up for the England national team.

On 22 July 2012 Eric Bell died at the age of 82 after battling with Alzheimer's disease.

George Hunt (footballer, born 1910)

George Samuel Hunt (22 February 1910 – 19 September 1996) was an English footballer who scored 169 goals from 294 appearances in the Football League playing for Chesterfield, Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Bolton Wanderers and Sheffield Wednesday. An inside forward or centre forward, Hunt was capped three times for England in 1933. After he finished playing, he went into coaching with Bolton Wanderers.

Keith Morton

Keith Morton (born 11 August 1934) is an English former footballer who scored 52 goals from 176 appearances in the Football League for Crystal Palace and Darlington in the 1950s and early 1960s. He played for Palace as an amateur, and was on the books of Sunderland before finishing his career with Darlington. He began his career as a centre forward and finished as an outside right.

List of Darlington F.C. players (25–99 appearances)

Darlington Football Club, an English association football club based in Darlington, County Durham, was founded in 1883. They entered the FA Cup for the first time in 1885–86, were founder members of the Northern League in 1889, turned professional in 1908 and joined the North Eastern League, which they won in 1913 and 1921. The latter win preceded election to the Football League as members of its newly formed Third Division North. Runners-up in their first season, Darlington were Northern Section champions three years later, thus winning promotion to the Second Division. Their 15th-place finish in 1926 remains their best League performance, and they were relegated back to the Third Division the following year. After 68 years of continuous membership, they were relegated from the Football League in 1988–89. Having made an immediate return as Conference champions, they remained in the League until 2010, when they again dropped into the Conference. After Darlington failed to exit administration in a manner acceptable to the Football Association, that body treated it as a new club, required it to change its name (to Darlington 1883), and placed its team in the Northern League, the ninth tier of English football, for the 2012–13 season. Five years later, the FA approved the club's request to resume its traditional name.The club's first team have competed in numerous nationally organised competitions, and all players who have played in between 25 and 99 such matches, either as a member of the starting eleven or as a substitute, are listed below. Each player's details include the duration of his Darlington career, his typical playing position while with the club, and the number of games played and goals scored in domestic league matches and in all senior competitive matches. Where applicable, the list also includes the national team for which the player was selected, and the number of senior international caps he won.

List of Hereford United F.C. records and statistics

Below are statistics and records related to Hereford United Football Club.

Peter Dobing

Peter Dobing (born 1 December 1938) is an English former footballer who played in the Football League for Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City and Stoke City.

Ron Greener

Ronald Greener (31 January 1934 – 19 October 2015) was an English footballer, who played as a centre half. Born in Easington, County Durham, he played his entire career in his native North-East. He started his career with Newcastle United, before he moved to Darlington in 1955. He spent most of his playing career with Darlington, and set the club's appearance record of 490 first-team appearances.

Roy Vernon

Thomas Royston "Roy" Vernon (14 April 1937 – 4 December 1993) was a Welsh international footballer who played for Blackburn Rovers, Everton and Stoke City. Vernon won 32 caps for Wales, scoring eight goals in total, and representing his country in the 1958 World Cup in Sweden.

Ted Purdon

Edward John Purdon (1 March 1930 – 29 April 2007) was a South African professional footballer who played as a forward. He played for Birmingham City in the Second Division of the Football League and for Sunderland in the First Division.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.