1952–53 FA Cup

The 1952–53 FA Cup was the 72nd season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Blackpool won the competition for the first time, beating Bolton Wanderers 4–3 in the final at Wembley.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1952–53 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsNewcastle United
ChampionsBlackpool (1st title)
Runners-upBolton Wanderers


Round Date
Preliminary Round Saturday 13 September 1952
First Round Qualifying Saturday 27 September 1952
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 11 October 1952
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 25 October 1952
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 8 November 1952
First Round Proper Saturday 22 November 1952
Second Round Proper Saturday 6 December 1952
Third Round Proper Saturday 10 January 1953
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 31 January 1953
Fifth Round Proper Saturday 14 February 1953
Sixth Round Proper Saturday 28 February 1953
Semi-Finals Saturday 21 March 1953
Final Saturday 2 May 1953

First round proper

At this stage clubs from the Football League Third Division North and South joined those non-league clubs having come through the qualifying rounds. Matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 22 November 1952. Fourteen were drawn and went to replays, with two of these going to second replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 0–1 Hartlepools United 22 November 1952
2 Chesterfield 1–0 Workington 22 November 1952
3 Darlington 2–3 Grimsby Town 22 November 1952
4 Bath City 3–1 Southend United 22 November 1952
5 Tonbridge 2–2 Norwich City 22 November 1952
Replay Norwich City 1–0 Tonbridge 27 November 1952
6 Weymouth 1–1 Colchester United 22 November 1952
Replay Colchester United 4–0 Weymouth 27 November 1952
7 Yeovil Town 1–4 Brighton & Hove Albion 22 November 1952
8 Leyton 0–0 Hereford United 22 November 1952
Replay Hereford United 3–2 Leyton 27 November 1952
9 Gainsborough Trinity 1–1 Netherfield (Kendal) 22 November 1952
Replay Netherfield (Kendal) 0–3 Gainsborough Trinity 27 November 1952
10 Swindon Town 5–0 Newport (IOW) 22 November 1952
11 Scarborough 0–8 Mansfield Town 22 November 1952
12 Ipswich Town 2–2 Bournemouth 22 November 1952
Replay Bournemouth 2–2 Ipswich Town 26 November 1952
Replay Ipswich Town 3–2 Bournemouth 1 December 1952
13 Tranmere Rovers 8–1 Ashington 22 November 1952
14 Wellington Town 1–1 Gillingham 22 November 1952
Replay Gillingham 3–0 Wellington Town 26 November 1952
15 Kidderminster Harriers 0–1 Finchley 22 November 1952
16 Queens Park Rangers 2–2 Shrewsbury Town 22 November 1952
Replay Shrewsbury Town 2–2 Queens Park Rangers 27 November 1952
Replay Queens Park Rangers 1–4 Shrewsbury Town 1 December 1952
17 Leytonstone 0–2 Watford 22 November 1952
18 Coventry City 2–0 Bristol City 22 November 1952
19 Bradford City 4–0 Rhyl 22 November 1952
20 Crystal Palace 1–1 Reading 22 November 1952
Replay Reading 1–3 Crystal Palace 26 November 1952
21 Bradford Park Avenue 2–1 Rochdale 22 November 1952
22 Scunthorpe United 1–0 Carlisle United 22 November 1952
23 Grays Athletic 0–5 Llanelli 22 November 1952
24 Port Vale 2–1 Exeter City 22 November 1952
25 Halifax Town 1–1 Ashton United 22 November 1952
Replay Ashton United 1–2 Halifax Town 25 November 1952
26 Newport County 2–1 Walsall 22 November 1952
27 Southport 3–1 Bangor City 22 November 1952
28 Selby Town 1–5 Bishop Auckland 22 November 1952
29 Walthamstow Avenue 2–2 Wimbledon 22 November 1952
Replay Wimbledon 0–3 Walthamstow Avenue 26 November 1952
30 York City 1–2 Barrow 22 November 1952
31 Aldershot 0–0 Millwall 22 November 1952
Replay Millwall 7–1 Aldershot 27 November 1952
32 Guildford City 2–2 Great Yarmouth Town 22 November 1952
Replay Great Yarmouth Town 1–0 Guildford City 27 November 1952
33 Horden CW 1–2 Accrington Stanley 22 November 1952
34 Gateshead 2–0 Crewe Alexandra 22 November 1952
35 North Shields 3–6 Stockport County 22 November 1952
36 Boston United 1–2 Oldham Athletic 22 November 1952
37 Peterborough United 2–1 Torquay United 22 November 1952
38 Leyton Orient 1–1 Bristol Rovers 22 November 1952
Replay Bristol Rovers 1–0 Leyton Orient 24 November 1952
39 Hendon 0–0 Northampton Town 22 November 1952
Replay Northampton Town 2–0 Hendon 27 November 1952
40 Beighton Miners Welfare 0–3 Wrexham 22 November 1952

Second Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 6 December 1952, with Finchley and Crystal Palace competing instead on the 10th. Five matches were drawn, with replays taking place later the same week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Barrow 2–2 Millwall 6 December 1952
Replay Millwall 4–1 Barrow 10 December 1952
2 Finchley 3–1 Crystal Palace 10 December 1952
3 Grimsby Town 1–0 Bath City 6 December 1952
4 Swindon Town 2–0 Northampton Town 6 December 1952
5 Shrewsbury Town 0–0 Chesterfield 6 December 1952
Replay Chesterfield 2–4 Shrewsbury Town 10 December 1952
6 Bishop Auckland 1–4 Coventry City 6 December 1952
7 Tranmere Rovers 2–1 Hartlepools United 6 December 1952
8 Stockport County 3–1 Gillingham 6 December 1952
9 Accrington Stanley 0–2 Mansfield Town 6 December 1952
10 Great Yarmouth Town 1–2 Wrexham 6 December 1952
11 Brighton & Hove Albion 2–0 Norwich City 6 December 1952
12 Bradford City 1–1 Ipswich Town 6 December 1952
Replay Ipswich Town 5–1 Bradford City 10 December 1952
13 Bradford Park Avenue 1–2 Gateshead 6 December 1952
14 Port Vale 0–3 Oldham Athletic 6 December 1952
15 Halifax Town 4–2 Southport 6 December 1952
16 Newport County 2–1 Gainsborough Trinity 6 December 1952
17 Walthamstow Avenue 1–1 Watford 6 December 1952
Replay Watford 1–2 Walthamstow Avenue 10 December 1952
18 Hereford United 0–0 Scunthorpe United 6 December 1952
Replay Scunthorpe United 2–1 Hereford United 11 December 1952
19 Peterborough United 0–1 Bristol Rovers 6 December 1952
20 Colchester United 3–2 Llanelli 6 December 1952

Third round proper

The 44 First and Second Division clubs entered the competition at this stage. The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 10 January 1953, although two matches were postponed until the mid-week fixtures. Six matches were drawn and went to replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Preston North End 5–2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 10 January 1953
2 Leicester City 2–4 Notts County 10 January 1953
3 Aston Villa 3–1 Middlesbrough 10 January 1953
4 Sheffield Wednesday 1–2 Blackpool 10 January 1953
5 Bolton Wanderers 3–1 Fulham 14 January 1953
6 Grimsby Town 1–3 Bury 10 January 1953
7 Sunderland 1–1 Scunthorpe United 10 January 1953
Replay Scunthorpe United 1–2 Sunderland 15 January 1953
8 Derby County 4–4 Chelsea 10 January 1953
Replay Chelsea 1–0 Derby County 14 January 1953
9 Lincoln City 1–1 Southampton 10 January 1953
Replay Southampton 2–1 Lincoln City 14 January 1953
10 Luton Town 6–1 Blackburn Rovers 10 January 1953
11 Everton 3–2 Ipswich Town 10 January 1953
12 Shrewsbury Town 2–0 Finchley 10 January 1953
13 Tranmere Rovers 1–1 Tottenham Hotspur 10 January 1953
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 9–1 Tranmere Rovers 12 January 1953
14 Newcastle United 3–0 Swansea Town 14 January 1953
15 Manchester City 7–0 Swindon Town 10 January 1953
16 Barnsley 4–3 Brighton & Hove Albion 10 January 1953
17 Brentford 2–1 Leeds United 10 January 1953
18 Portsmouth 1–1 Burnley 10 January 1953
Replay Burnley 3–1 Portsmouth 13 January 1953
19 West Ham United 1–4 West Bromwich Albion 10 January 1953
20 Plymouth Argyle 4–1 Coventry City 10 January 1953
21 Millwall 0–1 Manchester United 10 January 1953
22 Hull City 3–1 Charlton Athletic 10 January 1953
23 Oldham Athletic 1–3 Birmingham City 10 January 1953
24 Huddersfield Town 2–0 Bristol Rovers 10 January 1953
25 Mansfield Town 0–1 Nottingham Forest 10 January 1953
26 Halifax Town 3–1 Cardiff City 10 January 1953
27 Newport County 1–4 Sheffield United 10 January 1953
28 Arsenal 4–0 Doncaster Rovers 10 January 1953
29 Walthamstow Avenue 2–1 Stockport County 10 January 1953
30 Stoke City 2–1 Wrexham 10 January 1953
31 Rotherham United 2–2 Colchester United 10 January 1953
Replay Colchester United 0–2 Rotherham United 15 January 1953
32 Gateshead 1–0 Liverpool 10 January 1953

Fourth Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 31 January 1953. Seven matches were drawn and went to replays, which were all played in the following midweek match. Two matches then went to a second replay, with the Chelsea–West Bromwich Albion game going to a third replay before it was settled.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Blackpool 1–0 Huddersfield Town 31 January 1953
2 Burnley 2–0 Sunderland 31 January 1953
3 Preston North End 2–2 Tottenham Hotspur 31 January 1953
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 1–0 Preston North End 4 February 1953
4 Aston Villa 0–0 Brentford 31 January 1953
Replay Brentford 1–2 Aston Villa 4 February 1953
5 Bolton Wanderers 1–1 Notts County 31 January 1953
Replay Notts County 2–2 Bolton Wanderers 5 February 1953
Replay Bolton Wanderers 1–0 Notts County 9 February 1953
6 Everton 4–1 Nottingham Forest 31 January 1953
7 Shrewsbury Town 1–4 Southampton 31 January 1953
8 Sheffield United 1–1 Birmingham City 31 January 1953
Replay Birmingham City 3–1 Sheffield United 4 February 1953
9 Newcastle United 1–3 Rotherham United 31 January 1953
10 Manchester City 1–1 Luton Town 31 January 1953
Replay Luton Town 5–1 Manchester City 4 February 1953
11 Manchester United 1–1 Walthamstow Avenue 31 January 1953
Replay Walthamstow Avenue 2–5 Manchester United 5 February 1953
12 Plymouth Argyle 1–0 Barnsley 31 January 1953
13 Hull City 1–2 Gateshead 31 January 1953
14 Chelsea 1–1 West Bromwich Albion 31 January 1953
Replay West Bromwich Albion 0–0 Chelsea 4 February 1953
Replay Chelsea 1–1 West Bromwich Albion 9 February 1953
Replay West Bromwich Albion 0–4 Chelsea 11 February 1953
15 Halifax Town 1–0 Stoke City 31 January 1953
16 Arsenal 6–2 Bury 31 January 1953

Fifth Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 14 February 1953. The Blackpool–Southampton game went to a replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Blackpool 1–1 Southampton 14 February 1953
Replay Southampton 1–2 Blackpool 18 February 1953
2 Burnley 0–2 Arsenal 14 February 1953
3 Luton Town 0–1 Bolton Wanderers 14 February 1953
4 Everton 2–1 Manchester United 14 February 1953
5 Plymouth Argyle 0–1 Gateshead 14 February 1953
6 Chelsea 0–4 Birmingham City 14 February 1953
7 Halifax Town 0–3 Tottenham Hotspur 14 February 1953
8 Rotherham United 1–3 Aston Villa 14 February 1953

Sixth Round Proper

The four quarter-final ties were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 28 February 1953. The Birmingham City–Tottenham Hotspur game went to two replays before it was settled.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Aston Villa 0–1 Everton 28 February 1953
2 Arsenal 1–2 Blackpool 28 February 1953
3 Gateshead 0–1 Bolton Wanderers 28 February 1953
4 Birmingham City 1–1 Tottenham Hotspur 28 February 1953
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 2–2 Birmingham City 4 March 1953
Replay Birmingham City 0–1 Tottenham Hotspur 9 March 1953


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 21 March 1953. Blackpool and Bolton Wanderers won their ties to meet in the final at Wembley.

Blackpool2–1Tottenham Hotspur
Bolton Wanderers4–3Everton


The 1953 FA Cup Final, known as the "Matthews Final" due to Stanley Matthews' dribbling in the last 30 minutes of the game, was contested by Blackpool and Bolton Wanderers at Wembley. Blackpool won 4–3, with Stan Mortensen the first player to score a FA Cup Final hat-trick.

Blackpool4 – 3Bolton Wanderers
Mortensen Goal 35' Goal 68' Goal 89'
Perry Goal 92'
Report Lofthouse Goal 2'
Moir Goal 40'
Bell Goal 55'
Bolton Wanderers

See also


1952–53 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1952–53 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 50th in the Football League and their 22nd in the Second Division. They finished in sixth position in the 22-team division. They entered the 1952–53 FA Cup at the third round proper and lost to Tottenham Hotspur in the sixth round (quarter-final) after two replays.

Twenty-seven players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were fifteen different goalscorers. Full-back Ken Green was ever-present through the 49-game season, and Peter Murphy was top scorer with 26 goals, of which 20 came in the league.

1952–53 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1952–53 is the 72nd season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualifying rounds. The 30 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1953 FA Charity Shield

The 1953 Football Association Charity Shield was the 29th FA Charity Shield, an annual football match played between the winners of the previous season's Football League First Division and FA Cup competitions. It was held at Highbury Stadium on 12 October 1953. The game was played between Arsenal, champions of the 1952–53 Football League and Blackpool, who had beaten Bolton Wanderers to win the 1953 FA Cup Final. This was Blackpool's first FA Charity Shield appearance to Arsenal's ninth.

In the match, Blackpool started strongly and scored first with Stan Mortensen's goal in the 30th minute. Against the run of play, however, Arsenal equalised through Tommy Lawton and in the second half they went ahead when Doug Lishman reacted first to a rebounded shot. Lishman scored his second of the match in the 80th minute, which sealed a seventh Charity Shield honour for Arsenal.

1953 FA Cup Final

The 1953 FA Cup Final, also known as the Matthews Final, was the eighth to be held at Wembley Stadium after the Second World War. The football match was contested between Blackpool and Bolton Wanderers, with Blackpool winning 4–3. The match became famous for the performance of Blackpool winger Stanley Matthews, after whom it was nicknamed. It is the only FA Cup Final to feature a hat-trick, scored by Blackpool's Stan Mortensen. Blackpool were making their third FA Cup appearance in six years having been losing finalists twice, in 1948 and 1951.

In February 2010, the boots worn by Matthews in the match were auctioned at Bonhams in Chester for £38,400, to an undisclosed buyer and in November 2014 Matthews' winning medal was sold for £220,000. The match ball fetched £5,250 in 2018.

Alex Forbes

Alexander Rooney Forbes (21 January 1925 – 28 July 2014) was a Scottish football player and manager.

Alf Ramsey

Sir Alfred Ernest Ramsey (22 January 1920 – 28 April 1999) was an English football player and manager. As a player, he represented the England national team and captained the side, but he is best known for his time as England manager from 1963 to 1974, which included guiding them to victory in the 1966 FIFA World Cup. Knighted in 1967 in recognition of the World Cup win, Ramsey also managed his country to third place in the 1968 European Championship and the quarter-finals of the 1970 World Cup and the 1972 European Championship respectively. As a player, Ramsey was a defender and a member of England's 1950 World Cup squad.

Ramsey was born and raised in a quiet Essex village. He showed sporting promise from an early age and, after serving in the British Army during the Second World War, embarked on a football career, primarily as a right-back. He was considered a rather slow but accomplished player with a tremendous grasp of the tactical side of the game. Nicknamed "The General", he played for England 32 times between 1948 and 1953, captaining the side three times, scoring three times and appearing in the 1950 World Cup. He played his club football for Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur and was part of the Tottenham side that won the English League championship in the 1950–51 season.

Ramsey retired from playing aged 35 to become the manager of Ipswich Town, then in the third tier of English football. Ipswich rose through the divisions over the next six years, winning the Third Division South in 1956–57 and the Second Division in 1960–61. In the 1961–62 season, Ipswich's first ever campaign in the top division, Ramsey's team defied expectations to become champions of England. Ramsey took charge of the England team a year later. In a distinct break with common practice of the day, he used a narrow formation that led to his England side being dubbed "The Wingless Wonders". England's World Cup victory at Wembley in 1966 made Ramsey a national hero, though he had his critics, both at the time and since. He lost the England job acrimoniously, following the team's failure to qualify for the 1974 World Cup.

After managing England, Ramsey briefly held football-related roles at Birmingham City and Panathinaikos, before retiring in 1979–80. He led a somewhat reclusive life in Ipswich over the next two decades and died in 1999, aged 79. A statue of Ramsey was dedicated at the reconstructed Wembley Stadium in 2009, and various honours have been afforded to him in Ipswich. He is the first person to have been inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame twice: an inaugural inductee in 2002, in recognition of his achievements as a manager and admitted again in 2010 for his achievements as a player. He remains widely regarded as one of British football's all-time great managers.

Coronation Cup (football)

The Coronation Cup was a one-off football tournament to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, between four English and four Scottish clubs, held in Glasgow in May 1953. This tournament, like the Empire Exhibition Trophy, was held in very high regard by football clubs, as at the time it allowed teams to test themselves against teams from another country in the days before European football.

Celtic and Hibernian met in the final at Hampden Park, Celtic coming out the winners 2–0 before 117,000 spectators. Celtic's victory meant that they became the unofficial champions of Britain.

Dave Hickson

David Hickson (30 October 1929 – 8 July 2013) was an English professional footballer who played for Everton, Aston Villa, Huddersfield Town, Liverpool, Cambridge City, Bury and Tranmere Rovers

Don Roper

Donald George Beaumont Roper (14 December 1922 – 8 June 2001) was an English footballer.

George Swindin

George Hedley Swindin (4 December 1914 – 26 October 2005) was an English football player and manager.

Playing as a goalkeeper, Swindin made more than 300 appearances in the Football League with Bradford City and Arsenal, where his 18-year career was interrupted by the Second World War. As manager, he led Peterborough United to three Midland League titles before spending a less successful spell with Arsenal. He also managed Norwich City and Cardiff City of the Football League and Kettering Town and Corby Town in non-league football.

George Thompson (footballer, born 1926)

George Herbert Thompson (15 September 1926 – 7 March 2004) was an English footballer who played as a goalkeeper in the 1950s and 1960s for Scunthorpe United, Preston North End, Manchester City and Carlisle United including playing on the losing side in the 1954 FA Cup Final.

Kendal Town F.C.

Kendal Town Football Club is a football club based in Kendal, Cumbria, England. The club are currently members of the Northern Premier League Division One North West and play at Parkside Road.

Len Boyd

Leonard Arthur Miller Boyd (11 November 1923 − 14 February 2008) was an English professional footballer who played 333 matches in the Football League in the 1940s and 1950s. After serving in the Royal Navy during the Second World War, Boyd signed for Second Division club Plymouth Argyle, where he spent two seasons playing as an inside forward. When he began playing as a wing half, a position to which he was better suited, he attracted attention, and soon secured a transfer to the First Division with Birmingham City for what was for Plymouth a record fee.

Though his club was soon relegated, Boyd established himself in the first team and was appointed captain. He was chosen to represent England at "B" international level. An industrious, dynamic player, described by his goalkeeper Gil Merrick as "a good player and a bloody good captain", Boyd led the team to the championship of the Second Division in the 1954–55 season and to the FA Cup Final and sixth place in the league, still, as of 2018, Birmingham's record league placing, the following year. He played only once more for Birmingham, forced to retire by the back injury which had disrupted his final season with the club.

List of Arsenal F.C. managers

Arsenal Football Club is an English professional association football club based in Islington, London. The club was formed in Woolwich in 1886 as Dial Square before it was shortly renamed to Royal Arsenal, and then Woolwich Arsenal in 1893. They became the first southern member admitted into the Football League in 1893, having spent their first four seasons solely participating in cup tournaments and friendlies. The club's name was shortened to Arsenal in 1914, a year after moving to Highbury. In spite of finishing fifth in the Second Division in 1915, Arsenal rejoined the First Division at the expense of local rivals Tottenham Hotspur when football resumed after the First World War. Since that time, they have not fallen below the first tier of the English football league system and hold the record for the longest uninterrupted period in the top flight.There have been nineteen permanent and seven caretaker managers of Arsenal since 1897; Stewart Houston has managed the club in two separate spells as caretaker. The most successful person to manage Arsenal is Arsène Wenger, who won three Premier League titles, seven FA Cups and seven Community Shields between 1996 and 2018. Wenger is the club's longest-serving manager; he surpassed George Allison's record of 13 years in October 2009. Two Arsenal managers have died in the job – Herbert Chapman and Tom Whittaker.

This chronological list comprises all those who have held the position of manager of the first team of Arsenal since their foundation in 1886. Each manager's entry includes his dates of tenure and the club's overall competitive record (in terms of matches won, drawn and lost), honours won and significant achievements while under his care. Caretaker managers are included, where known, as well as those who have been in permanent charge.

Peter Goring

Harry (Peter) Goring (2 January 1927 – December 1994) was an English footballer.

Born in Bishop's Cleeve, Gloucestershire, one of 6 brothers. Goring first played for local Southern League side Cheltenham Town, making a name for himself as a prolific centre forward. He was signed by First Division Arsenal in January 1948, although he spent the next eighteen months playing in the reserve side.

After impressing on the club's tour of Brazil in the summer of 1949, Goring made his first-team debut against Chelsea on 24 August 1949; Arsenal won 2-1. In his first season, Goring was the club's second-top goalscorer in the League, with 21 goals in 29 matches. Arsenal only finished fifth that season, but did win the FA Cup, beating Liverpool 2-0 in the final; Goring started up front but did not score.

Goring continued to play up front for the Gunners (scoring 16 times the following season), but was displaced by Cliff Holton in 1951-52, and his form noticeably dropped; he only scored five goals in 19 appearances that season. However, he fought his way back into the side the following season, where he scored ten goals in 29 appearances, as Arsenal won the League on goal average.

However, in 1953-54 his goalscoring touch deserted him entirely, and he only played nine matches without scoring a single goal. Arsenal manager Tom Whittaker still had faith in Goring, and after switching him to right half, Goring became a first team regular once again. He missed only six matches over the next two seasons, and was picked for a Football Association XI that toured the West Indies in the summer of 1955.

The latter years of Goring's career were afflicted by age and injuries; in his final three seasons at the club, between 1956 and 1959, he only played 25 times - only twice in 1958-59 - as he gradually dropped down to the reserves. In all he played 240 matches for Arsenal, scoring 53 goals. Goring moved on in the summer of 1959 to Boston United in a swap deal that took Alan Ashberry to Arsenal, before retiring from playing.

After retiring from football Goring returned to Cheltenham to run the family butcher's shop, Wheeler & Goring on Tewkesbury Road. His other love of sport was golf and became the golfing coach at Cleeve hill golf course. In September 1968 Goring was appointed manager of Forest Green Rovers he stayed in charge of the club for 11 seasons until he resigned in October 1979, during which time he took them from the Gloucestershire County League to Hellenic League. He died in 1994, aged 67. He was buried at St Michaels church Bishops Cleeve.

Tom Whittaker (footballer)

Thomas James Whittaker MBE (21 July 1898 – 24 October 1956) was an English football player, trainer and manager, chiefly associated with Arsenal Football Club.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.