1951 FA Cup Final

The 1951 FA Cup Final was contested by Newcastle United and Blackpool at Wembley on 28 April 1951. Newcastle won 2–0, with both goals scored by Jackie Milburn.

Bill Slater, who played at inside left for losers Blackpool, was the last surviving player to have appeared in the final. He died in December 2018 at the age of 91. The last surviving Newcastle United player from the final was Charlie Crowe, who died in February 2010 at the age of 85.[1]

1951 FA Cup Final
Old Wembley Stadium (external view)
Event1950–51 FA Cup
Newcastle United Blackpool
2 0
Date28 April 1951
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeBill Ling (Stapleford)

Match details

Newcastle United2–0Blackpool
Milburn Goal 50' Goal 55' (Report)
Newcastle United
GK 1 England Jack Fairbrother
RB 2 England Bobby Cowell
LB 3 England Bobby Corbett
RH 4 England Joe Harvey (c)
CH 5 Scotland Frank Brennan
LH 6 England Charlie Crowe
OR 7 England Tommy Walker
IR 8 England Ernie Taylor
CF 9 England Jackie Milburn
IL 10 Chile George Robledo
OL 11 Scotland Bobby Mitchell
England Stan Seymour
GK 1 Scotland George Farm
RB 2 England Eddie Shimwell
LB 3 England Tommy Garrett
RH 4 England Harry Johnston (c)
CH 5 England Eric Hayward
LH 6 Scotland Hugh Kelly
OR 7 England Stanley Matthews
IR 8 Scotland Jackie Mudie
CF 9 England Stan Mortensen
IL 10 England Bill Slater
OL 11 England Bill Perry
England Joe Smith


  1. ^ "Newcastle United legend Charlie Crowe dies". BBC News. 28 February 2010. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
  • Calley, Roy (1992). Blackpool: A Complete Record 1887–1992. Breedon Books Sport. ISBN 1-873626-07-X.

External links

1950–51 Blackpool F.C. season

The 1950–51 season was Blackpool F.C.'s 43rd season (40th consecutive) in the Football League. They competed in the 22-team Division One, then the top tier of English football, finishing third.

The club also appeared in their second FA Cup Final in four seasons; however, as on the first occasion, they lost, this time to Newcastle United (see 1951 FA Cup Final), who finished one place behind them in the league.

Stan Mortensen was the club's top scorer for the seventh consecutive season, with 35 goals (30 in the league and five in the FA Cup).

1950–51 in English football

The 1950–51 season was the 71st season of competitive football in England.

Allan Brown (footballer)

Allan Duncan Brown (12 October 1926 – 20 April 2011) was a Scottish football player and manager. Brown played as an inside forward for East Fife, Blackpool, Luton Town, Portsmouth and Wigan Athletic. He also represented Scotland, scoring six goals in 14 international appearances, and the Scottish League. Brown was player/manager of Wigan Athletic, and also managed Luton Town, Torquay United, Bury, Nottingham Forest, Southport and Blackpool.

Bill Slater (footballer)

William John Slater, (29 April 1927 – 18 December 2018), also commonly known as W. J. Slater, was an English professional footballer. Slater made the majority of his appearances for Wolverhampton Wanderers, with whom he won three league championships and the FA Cup.

Bobby Corbett

Robert Corbett (16 March 1922 – October 1988) was an English footballer who played as a defender. He was the brother of George Corbett, also a professional footballer. He began playing at non-league club Throckley Welfare, later moving to Newcastle United and made his professional debut in 1946 against Barnsley F.C. after the conclusion of the Second World War. He was sold to neighbouring club Middlesbrough in 1951 for £9000, where he made 92 appearances over five seasons. He finished his career with a two-year spell at Northampton Town.

Corbett won an FA Cup winners medal with Newcastle in the 1951 FA Cup Final after defeating Blackpool 2-0. He played alongside other notable players such as Jackie Milburn and Charlie Crowe.

Corbett died in October 1988 at the age of 66 after spending his retirement living in North Walbottle.

Ernie Taylor (footballer, born 1925)

Ernest "Ernie" Taylor AKA 'Tom Thumb' (2 September 1925 — 9 April 1985) was an English footballer who played for four clubs in a 19-year professional career.

After Blackpool's defeat by Newcastle United in the 1951 FA Cup Final, it is said that Stanley Matthews told his manager, Joe Smith, that he would like the Magpies' inside-right in the Blackpool team. On 10 October that year, Taylor signed for Blackpool for £25,000.

Born in Sunderland, County Durham, in 1925, Taylor was a naval submariner when he joined Newcastle in 1942. At only 5 ft 4 in, he was one of the shortest players in the game, but his defence-splitting passes caused problems amongst the opposition. It was his back-heel that set up one of Jackie Milburn's goals in the 1951 Final.

Taylor signed for Blackpool on 10 October 1951 and made his debut three days later in a 2–1 home loss to Charlton. When Matthews had recovered from an injury, the pair created a well-respected right-wing partnership. On 25 November 1953, Walter Winterbottom employed the same partnership in England's match against Hungary. England lost 6–3 in what was Taylor's only appearance for his country.

Earlier in 1953, he had been a member of Blackpool's famous FA Cup-winning side that beat Bolton Wanderers. In the same competition in 1958, he helped the devastated Manchester United to an albeit unsuccessful appearance in the FA Cup Final soon after the Munich air disaster.

On 12 December 1958 Taylor signed for Sunderland for £6,000, and later played for Altrincham and Derry before emigrating to New Zealand, where he coached New Brighton and also played for Auckland club East Coast Bays.

George Farm

George Neil Farm (13 July 1924 – 18 July 2004) was a Scottish professional football goalkeeper and manager.

Born in Slateford, a suburb of Edinburgh, Farm represented his country on ten occasions, the last three of which occurred after a gap of five years. He played briefly for Hibernian before making over 500 appearances for Blackpool winning the FA Cup once and collecting one FA Cuup runners-up medal. With Blackpool he also finished runners-up once in the league to Manchester United. He made over 100 appearances for Queen of the South who he also managed in a promotion to Scotland's top division. he repeated that promotion managing Raith Rovers. He managed Dunfermline Athletic to a Scottish Cup victory and the semi finals of the European Cup Winners' Cup.

Jackie Milburn

John Edward Thompson "Jackie" Milburn (11 May 1924 – 9 October 1988) was a football player principally associated with Newcastle United and England, though he also spent four seasons at Linfield. He was also known as Wor Jackie (particularly in North East England, a Geordie dialectal version of 'Our Jackie') and as the First World Wor (in reference to his global fame).Cousin to the mother of Bobby and Jack Charlton, Milburn played two trial matches at St James' Park as a 19-year-old in 1943. In the second of these, he scored six second half goals. Milburn made his competitive debut in the FA Cup in the 1945–46 season and was initially deployed on the left wing as a supplier to Charlie Wayman. However, Wayman was dropped before a 4-0 defeat to eventual winners Charlton Athletic in a 1947 FA Cup semi-final and when he afterwards vowed not to play for United again, manager George Martin made the decision to switch Milburn to centre forward. In his next match, on 18 October 1947, Milburn wore the number nine shirt for the first time and scored a hat-trick.Milburn's subsequent achievements, particularly his two goals which won the 1951 FA Cup Final and his 45-second opener in the 1955 FA Cup Final which was the fastest ever Wembley FA Cup Final goal until it was beaten by Roberto Di Matteo in 1997, brought him national recognition and afforded him iconic status on Tyneside. In total, Milburn played in three FA Cup winning finals for United; 1951, 1952 and 1955. Despite his achievements, Milburn was reportedly a very shy and self-deprecating individual, whose modesty further endeared him to Newcastle United supporters, though according to Tom Finney, this stemmed from an "innate inferiority complex".By the time Milburn left Newcastle in 1957, he had become the highest goalscorer in Newcastle United's history. He remained so until he was surpassed by Alan Shearer in February 2006. Milburn remains Newcastle's second highest goalscorer, having scored 200 competitive goals. Milburn's transfer to Linfield in 1957 was almost jeopardised when the Newcastle board demanded a substantial signing fee, and much to the anger of fans, Milburn was not immediately granted a testimonial. His signing for Linfield "added thousands to the gate" and he made 54 appearances, scoring 68 goals in four seasons in all competitions for the club. He was finally granted a testimonial ten years later, in 1967.

Milburn died of lung cancer on 9 October 1988, aged 64. His funeral took place on 13 October, and was attended by over 1,000 mourners at St Nicholas's Cathedral in Newcastle. Tens of thousands of people lined the streets to watch the cortège pass. A statue of Milburn, costing £35,000 and paid for by donations received from Newcastle United supporters was erected on Newcastle's Northumberland Street before it was relocated in 1999 to St James' Boulevard and then moved again to its present position on Strawberry Place, just outside St James' Park.

Milburn was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in October 2006. In 2009, Goal.com listed Milburn as 43rd in their list of the top English players of all time.

Jackie Mudie

John Knight Mudie (10 April 1930 – 2 March 1992) was a Scottish international footballer who played as a forward. He won seventeen caps for his country, helping the Scotland national team to qualify for the 1958 FIFA World Cup.

Starting his career with Blackpool in 1947, he went on to spend the next fourteen years with the club, helping them to the FA Cup Final in 1951 and 1953, the latter of which ended in victory for the Tangerines. In all he scored 144 league goals for the club. He then spent 1961 to 1963 at Stoke City, helping them to the Second Division title in 1962–63, also spending a brief time on loan with Canadian club Toronto City. After signing with Port Vale in 1963, he spent 1965 to 1967 as the club's joint-manager, along with his long-time friend and teammate Stanley Matthews. He became a coach after he finished his career with Oswestry Town in 1967, though he later managed Northwich Victoria in 1973 and then American side Cleveland Cobras for a spell in 1978.

Stanley Matthews

Sir Stanley Matthews, CBE (1 February 1915 – 23 February 2000) was an English footballer. Often regarded as one of the greatest players of the British game, he is the only player to have been knighted while still playing football, as well as being the first winner of both the European Footballer of the Year and the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year awards. Matthews' nicknames included "The Wizard of the Dribble" and "The Magician".Matthews kept fit enough to play at the top level until he was 50 years old. Matthews was also the oldest player ever to play in England's top football division (50 years and 5 days) and the oldest player ever to represent the country (42 years and 104 days). He was also an inaugural inductee to the English Football Hall of Fame in 2002 to honour his contribution to the English game.He spent 19 years with Stoke City, playing for the Potters from 1932 to 1947, and again from 1961 to 1965. He helped Stoke to the Second Division title in 1932–33 and 1962–63. Between his two spells at Stoke he spent 14 years with Blackpool, where, after being on the losing side in the 1948 and 1951 FA Cup finals, he helped Blackpool to win the cup with a formidable personal performance in the "Matthews Final" of 1953. Between 1934 and 1957 he won 54 caps for England, playing in the FIFA World Cup in 1950 and 1954, and winning nine British Home Championship titles.

Following an unsuccessful stint as Port Vale's general manager between 1965 and 1968, he travelled around the world, coaching enthusiastic amateurs. The most notable of his coaching experiences came in 1975 in South Africa, where in spite of the harsh apartheid laws of the time he established an all-black team in Soweto known as "Stan's Men".

William Ling (referee)

William Ling (1 August 1908 – 8 May 1984) was an English football referee from Stapleford, Cambridgeshire, who refereed the 1954 FIFA World Cup Final.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Charity Shields
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Final
UEFA Intertoto Cup Finals
Other matches
FA Cup Finals
Anglo-Italian Cup Finals
Football League Play-Off Finals
Football League Trophy Finals

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.