1948–49 FA Cup

The FA Cup 1948–49 was the 68th staging of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Wolverhampton Wanderers won the competition for the third time, beating Leicester City 3–1 in the final at Wembley.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1948–49 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsManchester United
ChampionsWolverhampton Wanderers (3rd title)
Runners-upLeicester City


Round Date
Extra Preliminary Round Saturday 4 September 1948
Preliminary Round Saturday 18 September 1948
First Qualifying Round Saturday 2 October 1948
Second Qualifying Round Saturday 16 October 1948
Third Qualifying Round Saturday 30 October 1948
Fourth Qualifying Round Saturday 13 November 1948
First Round Proper Saturday 27 November 1948
Second Round Saturday 11 December 1948
Third Round Saturday 8 January 1949
Fourth Round Saturday 29 January 1949
Fifth Round Saturday 13 February 1949
Sixth Round Saturday 26 February 1949
Semi Finals Saturday 26 March 1949
Final Saturday 30 April 1949

First round proper

At this stage 43 clubs from the Football League Third Division North and South joined the 25 non-league clubs having come through the qualifying rounds. Rotherham United, Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic, as the strongest non-promoted Third Division finishers in the previous season, were given a bye to the Third Round, along with Swindon Town, who managed to reach the fifth round of the previous season's competition. To make the number of matches up, non-league Leytonstone and Colchester United were given byes to this round. 34 matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 27 November 1948, with eight of these postponed until the following Saturday. Two were drawn and went to replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Dartford 2–3 Leyton Orient 27 November 1948
2 Barnet 2–6 Exeter City 4 December 1948
3 Rochdale 1–1 Barrow 27 November 1948
Replay Barrow 2–0 Rochdale 4 December 1948
4 Weymouth 2–1 Chelmsford City 27 November 1948
5 Yeovil Town 4–0 Romford 27 November 1948
6 Walsall 2–1 Bristol Rovers 27 November 1948
7 Notts County 2–1 Port Vale 27 November 1948
8 Crewe Alexandra 5–0 Billingham Synthonia 27 November 1948
9 Gainsborough Trinity 1–0 Witton Albion 27 November 1948
10 Wrexham 0–3 Oldham Athletic 27 November 1948
11 Ipswich Town 0–3 Aldershot 4 December 1948
12 Tranmere Rovers 1–3 Darlington 27 November 1948
13 Kidderminster Harriers 0–3 Hereford United 27 November 1948
14 Leytonstone 2–1 Watford 4 December 1948
15 Northampton Town 2–1 Dulwich Hamlet 27 November 1948
16 Rhyl 0–2 Scarborough 4 December 1948
17 Norwich City 1–0 Wellington Town 27 November 1948
18 Bradford City 4–3 Doncaster Rovers 4 December 1948
19 Millwall 1–0 Tooting & Mitcham United 27 November 1948
20 Hull City 3–1 Accrington Stanley 27 November 1948
21 Crystal Palace 0–1 Bristol City 27 November 1948
22 Southend United 1–2 Swansea Town 4 December 1948
23 Hartlepools United 1–3 Chester 27 November 1948
24 Mansfield Town 4–0 Gloucester City 27 November 1948
25 Halifax Town 0–0 Scunthorpe United 4 December 1948
Replay Scunthorpe United 1–0 Halifax Town 6 December 1948
26 Newport County 3–1 Brighton & Hove Albion 27 November 1948
27 Southport 2–1 Horden CW 27 November 1948
28 New Brighton 1–0 Carlisle United 27 November 1948
29 Workington 0–3 Stockport County 27 November 1948
30 Walthamstow Avenue 3–2 Cambridge Town 27 November 1948
31 York City 2–1 Runcorn 27 November 1948
32 Gateshead 3–0 Netherfield (Kendal) 27 November 1948
33 Peterborough United 0–1 Torquay United 27 November 1948
34 Colchester United 2–4 Reading 4 December 1948

Second round proper

The matches were played on Saturday, 11 December 1948. Four matches were drawn, with replays taking place the following Saturday.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Darlington 1–0 Leyton Orient 11 December 1948
2 Bristol City 3–1 Swansea Town 11 December 1948
3 Weymouth 0–4 Yeovil Town 11 December 1948
4 Walsall 4–3 Gainsborough Trinity 11 December 1948
5 Notts County 3–2 Barrow 11 December 1948
6 Crewe Alexandra 3–2 Millwall 11 December 1948
7 Leytonstone 3–4 Newport County 11 December 1948
8 Bradford City 0–0 New Brighton 11 December 1948
Replay New Brighton 1–0 Bradford City 18 December 1948
9 Hull City 0–0 Reading 11 December 1948
Replay Reading 1–2 Hull City 18 December 1948
10 Exeter City 2–1 Hereford United 11 December 1948
11 Scunthorpe United 0–1 Stockport County 11 December 1948
12 Mansfield Town 2–1 Northampton Town 11 December 1948
13 Southport 2–2 York City 11 December 1948
Replay York City 0–2 Southport 18 December 1948
14 Torquay United 3–1 Norwich City 11 December 1948
15 Walthamstow Avenue 2–2 Oldham Athletic 11 December 1948
Replay Oldham Athletic 3–1 Walthamstow Avenue 18 December 1948
16 Aldershot 1–0 Chester 11 December 1948
17 Gateshead 3–0 Scarborough 11 December 1948

Third round proper

The 44 First and Second Division clubs entered the competition at this stage, along with Rotherham United, Swindon Town and Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic. The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 8 January 1949. Four matches were drawn and went to replays on the following Saturday, with two of these going to a second replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 1–3 Chelsea 8 January 1949
2 Burnley 2–1 Charlton Athletic 8 January 1949
3 Preston North End 2–1 Mansfield Town 8 January 1949
4 Yeovil Town 3–1 Bury 8 January 1949
5 Nottingham Forest 2–2 Liverpool 8 January 1949
Replay Liverpool 4–0 Nottingham Forest 15 January 1949
6 Blackburn Rovers 1–2 Hull City 8 January 1949
7 Aston Villa 1–1 Bolton Wanderers 8 January 1949
Replay Bolton Wanderers 0–0 Aston Villa 15 January 1949
Replay Aston Villa 2–1 Bolton Wanderers 17 January 1949
8 Sheffield Wednesday 2–1 Southampton 8 January 1949
9 Grimsby Town 2–1 Exeter City 8 January 1949
10 Wolverhampton Wanderers 6–0 Chesterfield 8 January 1949
11 Crewe Alexandra 0–2 Sunderland 8 January 1949
12 Derby County 4–1 Southport 8 January 1949
13 Lincoln City 0–1 West Bromwich Albion 8 January 1949
14 Luton Town 3–1 West Ham United 8 January 1949
15 Everton 1–0 Manchester City 8 January 1949
16 Swindon Town 1–3 Stoke City 8 January 1949
17 Sheffield United 5–2 New Brighton 8 January 1949
18 Newcastle United 0–2 Bradford Park Avenue 8 January 1949
19 Queens Park Rangers 0–0 Huddersfield Town 8 January 1949
Replay Huddersfield Town 5–0 Queens Park Rangers 15 January 1949
20 Fulham 0–1 Walsall 8 January 1949
21 Barnsley 0–1 Blackpool 8 January 1949
22 Brentford 3–2 Middlesbrough 8 January 1949
23 Portsmouth 7–0 Stockport County 8 January 1949
24 Manchester United 6–0 Bournemouth 8 January 1949
25 Plymouth Argyle 0–1 Notts County 8 January 1949
26 Oldham Athletic 2–3 Cardiff City 8 January 1949
27 Arsenal 3–0 Tottenham Hotspur 8 January 1949
28 Leeds United 1–3 Newport County 8 January 1949
29 Torquay United 1–0 Coventry City 8 January 1949
30 Rotherham United 4–2 Darlington 8 January 1949
31 Gateshead 3–1 Aldershot 8 January 1949
32 Birmingham City 1–1 Leicester City 8 January 1949
Replay Leicester City 1–1 Birmingham City 15 January 1949
Replay Birmingham City 1–2 Leicester City 17 January 1949

Fourth round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 29 January 1949. Three games were drawn and went to replays, which were all played on the following Saturday. Manchester United and Bradford Park Avenue went to a second replay on the following Monday, with Manchester United easily winning the tie to go through.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 1–0 Notts County 29 January 1949
2 Yeovil Town 2–1 Sunderland 29 January 1949
3 Leicester City 2–0 Preston North End 29 January 1949
4 Aston Villa 1–2 Cardiff City 29 January 1949
5 Grimsby Town 2–3 Hull City 29 January 1949
6 Derby County 1–0 Arsenal 29 January 1949
7 Luton Town 4–0 Walsall 29 January 1949
8 Sheffield United 0–3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 29 January 1949
9 Brentford 1–0 Torquay United 29 January 1949
10 Portsmouth 2–1 Sheffield Wednesday 29 January 1949
11 Manchester United 1–1 Bradford Park Avenue 29 January 1949
Replay Bradford Park Avenue 1–1 Manchester United 5 February 1949
Replay Manchester United 5–0 Bradford Park Avenue 7 February 1949
12 Chelsea 2–0 Everton 29 January 1949
13 Newport County 3–3 Huddersfield Town 29 January 1949
Replay Huddersfield Town 1–3 Newport County 5 February 1949
14 Stoke City 1–1 Blackpool 29 January 1949
Replay Blackpool 0–1 Stoke City 5 February 1949
15 Rotherham United 0–1 Burnley 29 January 1949
16 Gateshead 1–3 West Bromwich Albion 29 January 1949

Fifth round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 12 February 1949. There was one replay, taking place the following Saturday.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 3–1 Liverpool 12 February 1949
2 West Bromwich Albion 3–0 Chelsea 12 February 1949
3 Derby County 2–1 Cardiff City 12 February 1949
4 Luton Town 5–5 Leicester City 12 February 1949
Replay Leicester City 5–3 Luton Town 19 February 1949
5 Brentford 4–2 Burnley 12 February 1949
6 Portsmouth 3–2 Newport County 12 February 1949
7 Manchester United 8–0 Yeovil Town 12 February 1949
8 Stoke City 0–2 Hull City 12 February 1949

Sixth round proper

The draw for the sixth round was made on Monday, 14 February 1949. All matches were played on Saturday, 26 February 1949.

Brentford0 – 2Leicester City
Lee Goal
Griffiths Goal 75'
Portsmouth2 – 1Derby County
Clarke Goal 44'87' Stamps Goal 41'
Hull City0 – 1Manchester United
Pearson Goal 74'
Wolverhampton Wanderers1 – 0West Bromwich Albion
Mullen Goal 63'


The draw for the semi finals was made on Monday, 28 February 1949. Both original matches were played on Saturday, 26 March 1949.

Wolverhampton Wanderers1 – 1 (a.e.t.)Manchester United
Smyth Goal 11' Mitten Goal 23'
Manchester United0 – 1Wolverhampton Wanderers
Smyth Goal 86'
Portsmouth1 – 3Leicester City
Scott Goal 28' (o.g.) Revie Goal 8'Goal
Chisholm Goal 47'


Leicester City1 – 3Wolverhampton Wanderers
Griffiths Goal 47' Report Pye Goal 13'42'
Smyth Goal 64'

See also


1948 FA Charity Shield

The 1948 FA Charity Shield was the 26th Charity Shield, an annual English association football match played between the winners of the previous season's Football League and FA Cup. It was the first edition held since the postponement of football during the Second World War. The match, held at Highbury on 6 October 1948, was contested by Arsenal, champions of the 1947–48 Football League and Manchester United, who beat Blackpool in the final of the 1947–48 FA Cup. This was Arsenal's eighth Charity Shield appearance to Manchester United's third.

Watched by a crowd of over 30,000, Reg Lewis, Bryn Jones, and Ronnie Rooke each scored for the league champions inside the first 15 minutes. Manchester United responded by scoring twice before the half-time break through Jack Rowley and Ronnie Burke. Lionel Smith's own goal in the 53rd minute made the scoreline 4–3, and though United's attack were dominant in the second half, there were no further goals. Arsenal were awarded the Shield by A.V. Alexander, the Minister of Defence. Gate receipts for the match came to a total of £4,300.

1948–49 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1948–49 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 46th in the Football League and their 27th in the First Division, having been promoted as Second Division champions in 1947–48. They finished in 17th position in the 22-team division, having both scored fewer and conceded fewer goals than any other team in the division. They entered the 1948–49 FA Cup at the third round proper and lost to Leicester City in that round after two replays.

In November 1948, Harry Storer resigned as team manager. The club's chief scout, Walter Taylor, was appointed as assistant team manager shortly afterwards and acted as caretaker manager until Bob Brocklebank's appointment in January 1949.Thirty-one players made at least one appearance in nationally organised competition, and there were twelve different goalscorers. Full-back Ken Green missed only one game of the 45-game season, and Jackie Stewart was leading goalscorer with eleven goals, all scored in the league.

1948–49 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1948–49 is the 68th season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualifying rounds. The 25 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1949 FA Charity Shield

The 1949 FA Charity Shield was the 27th FA Charity Shield, a pre-season exhibition football match between the winners of the previous season's First Division and FA Cup titles. The match took place at Highbury, London, between the league champions Portsmouth and FA Cup winners Wolverhampton Wanderers. The score finished at 1–1, marking the first draw in the Charity Shield and meaning the Shield was shared.

1949 FA Cup Final

The 1949 FA Cup Final was the 68th final of the FA Cup. It took place on 30 April 1949 at Wembley Stadium and was contested between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Leicester City. Wolves had finished sixth in the First Division that season and boasted several England internationals among their ranks, while Leicester had narrowly avoided relegation from the Second Division and were making their first Wembley appearance.

Wolves won the match 3–1, thus winning the FA Cup for the third time. Jesse Pye (2) and Sammy Smyth scored Wolves' goals, with Mal Griffiths replying for Leicester. Captain Billy Wright was presented with the cup by Princess Elizabeth.

Doug Taft

Douglas Taft (9 March 1926 – 29 September 1987) was an English footballer who made six appearances in the Football League playing as a centre forward for Derby County in the 1940s. He was on the books of Wolverhampton Wanderers without playing league football for the club, and also played non-league football for clubs including Gresley Rovers, Chelmsford City, Bedford Town, Peterborough United, Kettering Town, Rugby Town and Hinckley Athletic, where he was player-manager.

Firbeck Main F.C.

Firbeck Main F.C. was an English association football club based in Langold, Nottinghamshire.

Hull City A.F.C.

Hull City Association Football Club is a professional football club in Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England. Founded in 1904, the club plays in the Championship, the second tier of English football.

In 2007–08, they achieved promotion to the top flight of English football for the first time in their history by winning the Championship play-off Final at Wembley Stadium. Their highest league finish was in 2013–14, when they finished 16th in the table, a season in which they also reached the final of the FA Cup.Hull City play home games at the KCOM Stadium, having moved there in 2002 after 56 seasons at Boothferry Park. Hull traditionally play in black and amber, often with a striped shirt design, hence their nickname, The Tigers.

Les Blizzard

Leslie William Benjamin Blizzard (13 March 1923 – December 1996) was an English footballer with Queens Park Rangers, Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic, Yeovil Town and Leyton Orient.

Newport County A.F.C.

Newport County Association Football Club (Welsh: Clwb Pêl-droed Sir Casnewydd) is a professional football club in Newport, South Wales. The team compete in League Two, the fourth tier of the English football league system. The club's home colours are amber shirts and black shorts. Orange has also been intermittently used as home shirt colour in its history.

Formed in 1912, the club began life in the Southern League before being invited to become founder members of the Football League Third Division in 1920. They failed re-election in 1931, but were elected back into the Football League the next year. They struggled for the next few seasons, but went on to be crowned Third Division South champions in 1938–39. World War II meant they had to wait until the 1946–47 season to take their place in the Second Division, though they were relegated at the end of the campaign. Relegated out of the Third Division in 1962, under the stewardship of Len Ashurst they secured promotion out of the Fourth Division in 1979–80 and also won the Welsh Cup for the first time during the campaign. They reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup the next year, but went on to suffer from financial difficulties in the 1980s; a double relegation cost them their Football League place by 1988 and the club went out of business in February 1989.

The club reformed but were initially unable to play at their home ground at Somerton Park, so picked up the nickname of the "Exiles". They immediately won the Hellenic League in 1989–90 and were promoted out of the Southern League Midland Division in 1994–95. Now playing at Newport Stadium, they were relegated from the Premier Division in 1997, before winning promotion out of the Midland Division again in 1998–99. Placed in the Conference South in 2004, they went on to be crowned champions in 2009–10 and after moving into Rodney Parade in 2012, they returned to the Football League following a 24-year absence after winning the Conference National play-off final in 2013.

Roy Pritchard

Roy Thomas Pritchard (9 May 1925 – January 1993) was an English footballer who played 247 league games at full back in the Football League for Wolverhampton Wanderers, Aston Villa, Notts County, and Port Vale. He also played war-time football for Wolves, Mansfield Town, Notts County, Swindon Town and Walsall, and later played Southern League football for Wellington Town. He won the Fourth Division title with Port Vale in 1958–59, and won both the FA Cup with Wolves in 1949, as well as the First Division title in 1953–54.

Yeovil Town 2–1 Sunderland (1949)

Yeovil Town v Sunderland was a football match played on 29 January 1949 at the Huish Athletic Ground, Yeovil. The match was a tie in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup. Yeovil Town won the match 2–1, with Alec Stock and Eric Bryant scoring the goals for the winning side. The match is notable for being one of the few occasions in the history of the FA Cup where a non-league club has defeated a team in the top tier of English football.

Yeovil Town F.C.

Yeovil Town Football Club is a professional association football club based in the town of Yeovil, Somerset, England. The team compete in National League, the fifth tier of the English football league system. The club's home ground is Huish Park, built in 1990 on the site of an old army camp and named after their former home, Huish, itself known for its pitch, which had an 8 feet (2.4 m) sideline to sideline slope. The club's nickname "The Glovers" is a reference to the history of glove-making in the town of Yeovil, which became a centre of the industry during the 18th and 19th centuries. The club's affiliated ladies team, Yeovil Town L.F.C., compete in the FA Women's Super League.

Founded in 1895, the club initially joined the Somerset Senior League and competed in a multitude of leagues up until the outbreak of World War II. During this time they won titles in the Southern League, Western League, Bristol Charity League, Dorset District League and Somerset Senior League. They played in the Southern League after the war ended, winning the championship in 1954–55, 1963–64 and 1970–71, before becoming members of the Alliance Premier League from 1979 to 1985. They spent the next three years in the Isthmian League, and were elevated into the Conference after finishing as champions in 1987–88. Relegated in 1995, they were promoted again two years later after winning another Isthmian League title. Yeovil won the 2002 FA Trophy Final and secured a place in the Football League after winning the Conference in 2002–03 under the stewardship of Gary Johnson. They then won the League Two title in 2004–05, before reaching the Championship with victory in the 2013 League One play-off final in Johnson's second spell as manager. However they suffered consecutive relegations, and were relegated once more following the 2018–19 season, ending their 16 season spell in the Football League.

Yeovil were one of the most successful non-league teams in the FA Cup, having defeated major Football League teams, most famously Sunderland in the fourth round in 1949, before going on to play in front of more than 81,000 spectators away at Manchester United in the next round. As the only Football League side in Somerset they have few local rivals since Dorset-based side Weymouth declined as Yeovil climbed the divisions in the 1990s and 2000s.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.