1936 FA Cup Final

The 1936 FA Cup Final was a football match between Arsenal and Sheffield United on 25 April 1936 at Wembley. The showpiece match of English football's primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (better known as the FA Cup), it was the 61st Cup final, and the fourteenth at the national stadium.

Each team received a bye to the third round of the tournament, and then progressed through five rounds before reaching the final. Arsenal were in a successful phase, with this final following recent First Division titles, while Sheffield United were attempting to emulate the success of their rivals Sheffield Wednesday in the tournament the year before. A closely fought first half was followed by a dominant second half by Arsenal, who won by a single goal, scored by Ted Drake in the 74th minute. A media ban by the stadium's bosses caused reporters to fly above the stadium in autogyros to see the match and the BBC experimented with sports commentators for the first time during its live broadcast of the final.

1936 FA Cup Final
Harry Hooper of Sheffield United and Alex James of Arsenal shake hands at the start of the match
Event1935–36 FA Cup
Arsenal Sheffield United
1 0
Date25 April 1936
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeHarry Nattrass (County Durham)

Route to the final


Round Opposition Score Venue
3rd Bristol Rovers 5–1 Eastville Stadium (a)
4th Liverpool 2–0 Anfield (a)
5th Newcastle 3–3 St James' Park (a)
5th (replay) Newcastle 3–0 Arsenal Stadium (h)
Quarter-final Barnsley 4–1 Arsenal Stadium (h)
Semi-final Grimsby Town 1–0 Leeds Road (n)

Being from the First and Second Divisions respectively, both Arsenal and Sheffield United were seeded into the third round of the FA Cup.[1] In the third round itself, Arsenal were drawn away against Third Division South team Bristol Rovers. Arsenal missed a penalty, and the third Division team went a goal up in the first half; Arsenal were playing so poorly that it seemed they would struggle even for a draw. The turnaround in the match occurred when Cliff Bastin took over from Bobby Davidson at the inside left position. Arsenal equalised in the 65th minute, and scored further four times over the course of the following fourteen minutes to win the game by five goals to one, with a single goal from Bowden and two each from Drake and Bastin.[2]

They followed this in the fourth round with a 2–0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield. The match was played seven days after the death of King George V, with both teams wearing black armbands. The crowd of 60,000 stood to sing Abide with Me and God Save the King before the kickoff.[3] In the fifth round they were drawn against Newcastle United, in a rematch of the 1932 final.[4] Newcastle had already knocked out the current cup holders, Sheffield Wednesday, in an earlier round.[5] On the day, the gates to St James' Park needed to be closed before the match started to keep additional spectators out, some 64,484 fans already being inside the ground. The match resulted in a 3-3 draw, Arsenal having gone a goal ahead each time, but Newcastle coming back and equalising. The reason being according to the report in The Times was because "Whenever the lead was gained, the side concentrated entirely on defence."[4] In the replay at home, Arsenal won the game 3–0. They had gone a goal up in the first half from a penalty scored by Bastin after the Newcastle centre half David Davidson handled the ball in the box. Newcastle were unlucky not to draw level, and only Eddie Hapgood clearing a shot off the line prevented the scoreline being equal once more. The second goal came during an advance by Arsenal, where the Newcastle goalkeeper, Norman Tapken, cleared the ball directly to Arsenal midfielder Pat Beasley, who shot the ball into the back of an empty net. The final goal was another penalty, caused when Bastin was brought down in the box, who then promptly took and scored the shot himself.[6]

In their quarter final, they defeated Second Division Barnsley 4–1, having outplayed them right from the start, the first goal coming in the fourth minute from Beasley in an attacking move. Bowden scored the second goal, and the third came from a penalty scored by Bastin. The fourth and final Arsenal goal was Beasley's second, with Barnsley's consolation goal coming a couple of minutes from the end of the match.[7] In the semi final, played at Huddersfield Town's ground, beating Grimsby Town 1–0 in a match that was described by reporters as completely one sided, with the goal coming from Bastin five minutes before half time.[8]

Sheffield United

Round Opposition Score Venue
3rd Burnley 0–0 Turf Moor (a)
3rd (replay) Burnley 2–1 Bramall Lane (h)
4th Preston North End 0–0 Deepdale (a)
4th (replay) Preston North End 2–0 Bramall Lane (h)
5th Leeds United 3–1 Bramall Lane (h)
Quarter-final Tottenham Hotspur 3–1 Bramall Lane (h)
Semi-final Fulham 2–1 Molineux Stadium (n)

Meanwhile, Sheffield United's third round match at Burnley ended in a 0–0 draw, before winning 2–1 in the replay at home on a snow-covered pitch in a game that was marred by heavy fog at the start. Harold Barton scored for United, before Ted Hancock equalized for Burnley. Bobby Barclay scored United's second goal before the break. An additional goal by Jock Dodds for United was disallowed in the second half due to the player being ruled offside.[9]

The fourth round saw them drawn away again, this time at Preston North End again drawing 0–0 in the initial match, the return match at home on 30 January this time resulting in a 2–0 victory after playing the entire second half with only ten men in front of a crowd of 34,259 supporters.[10] In comparison, a record crowd of 68,287 at Bramall Lane saw Sheffield United defeat Leeds United 3–1, the first time in the tournament they won without going to a replay.[11] They repeated that scoreline against Tottenham Hotspur in the quarter final on a marshy pitch in driving snow. United were up by half time thanks to a goal by Barclay. In the second half, Spurs came back strongly, but two goals from Dodds won the game for United, with Tottenham scoring a consolation goal late on.[12]

Sheffield United were drawn against Fulham in the semi final, which guaranteed that a Second Division team would make it through to the final.[13] The match was held at Wolverhampton Wanderers' Molineux Stadium on 21 March, where United won 2–1.[1] The two teams faced each other again a week later in a league match, where Fulham won 1-0 thanks to a penalty, ending an unbeaten run of 22 games for United.[14]


Arsenal Crest 1936
Arsenal crest at the time

Arsenal had most recently appeared in the final in 1932, being defeated by Newcastle United, while their most recent FA Cup victory came two seasons earlier in 1930 against Huddersfield Town. Meanwhile, Sheffield United had won the title in their previous appearance, beating Cardiff City in the 1925 final.[15] Arsenal had been the more successful team in recent years, having won three First Division titles in succession in the past few seasons; while Sheffield United were keen to win the trophy after the success of rival team Sheffield Wednesday in the 1935 Final.[16]

Both teams had provided players to the England national football team earlier in the month for a match against Scotland, with Arsenal providing George Male, Jack Crayston and Cliff Bastin, while Sheffield United gave Bobby Barclay. Alex James, despite being Arsenal's captain and having previously played for the Scottish international team, was not chosen for that match,[17] which resulted in a 1–1 draw, enabling Scotland to win the 1936 British Home Championship.[18]

Wembley bosses were in dispute with newsreel companies over the broadcast rights for the 1936 final.[19] Gaumont British Film Company initially had offered £900 to film inside the ground, but this was refused by the authorities who wanted a sum of £1,500. They later backed down and said that they would accept the initial offer, but the film company was now only willing to pay £500.[20] A solution could not be reached, and the media were banned from inside of the stadium. To get around the ban and be able to report on the match, a number of autogyros were hired to fly the reporters over the stadium giving them a birds–eye view of the match,[19] with the only filming inside Wembley conducted by the official stadium cameraman.[20] Autogyros had been used to film the final in 1935, and also by the Metropolitan police for crowd control.[21]

It was the first year that commentators were used in the broadcast of an FA Cup final, with the BBC describing it as an "experiment".[22] The first commentators were Ivan Sharpe and Norman Creek, who broadcast from 2:30 pm onwards before the game to take in the pre–match entertainment.[22]

Arsenal played in red and white shirts in an FA Cup final for the first time, on previous occasions in 1930 and 32 they wore fully red shirts. Additionally, before the 1967/68 season, Arsenal only wore team badges on their shirts on special occasions, such as FA Cup Finals. The 1936 cup final was the fourth occasion such a badge was worn.[23] Sheffield United also wore crested red and white shirts, their vertical stripe design.[24]


Bobby Barclay, inside forward for Sheffield United

More than 93,000 spectators attended the match, with fans from Sheffield travelling from the north on specially laid-on trains.[25] Changes to the teams were made before the match, with Ted Drake available for Arsenal following an injury. Sheffield United replaced Don Bird with Bertie Williams on the outside left,[16] and Charlie Wilkinson was brought back into the team to replace Albert Cox who had played in the semi final against Fulham while Wilkinson was injured.[26]

While the weather was fine, the wind whipped up to such an extent at pitch level that the ball was taken out of its proper flight on occasion.[27] In the third minute Sheffield United were nearly a goal up after Arsenal goalkeeper Wilson dropped the ball to the ground and fumbled at it trying to pick it up. United players Barclay and Dodds both charged in to take advantage, but an Arsenal defender cleared the ball away before they could turn the opportunity into a goal.[28] During the first fifteen minutes, United were the superior team with the work of their forwards only failing against the work of Arsenal's full backs and goalkeeper with Wilson continuing to looking not entirely safe.[27] Arsenal's defenders eventually settled with Crayston and Copping stepping up for their team.[27]

During the match, the attacks of Arsenal were mostly held at bay by Sheffield United's backs, with Bowden and Bastin both performing poorly, although it was Bastin who set up the move that resulted in the only goal of the game. Arsenal's attacking tactics had favored these two players, with not much play going through to Drake. The standout player was Joe Hulme who managed to cut inside repeatedly, threatening United with an extra yard or two of speed over his marker. James also performed well, getting in more attacks on goal than usual.[27] Smith, in goal for the Blades, had a particularly steady game and their forwards Barclay and Pickering played particularly well with their attacks only prevented by the work of Male who was described by The Times as having the "game of his life".[27] United's attacks were mostly restricted by the Arsenal defence to long range shooting. The first half of the match finished at a 0–0 draw, with the attacks spread equally between the two teams.[27]

The second half started off with Crayston briefly taking on the role of a forward, driving in a shot that Smith did well to save. Arsenal's forwards followed this with a flowing move from James, Hulme and Bastin, with the final move resulting in Bastin heading just wide of the post. Although play in the first half was relatively equal, in the second half Arsenal were the superior side, simply outclassing the Second Division Sheffield United. In the 74th minute a movement was started by James, who passed the ball to Bastin. Bastin dribbled the ball past Hooper before crossing the ball into the centre for Drake, who drove the ball into the roof of the net with his left foot.[27] Moments after the goal United were on the attack, Barton broke down the right wing, crossing the ball in for Dodds who, finding his marker out of position, headed the ball against the bar.[27] Dodds later said in an interview, "I was just about to direct the ball down into the net when a wee fellow called Wilf Copping went up behind me and, in striving to get to the ball, punched me in the back. This had the unfortunate effect of knocking my head backwards so the ball thudded against the crossbar instead of nestling itself in the back of the net. But for that, who knows, things might have turned out different."[29] Arsenal won the game with a single goal, the match having been mostly full of positive play and relatively free of fouls,[27] although Drake was penalised on five occasions for using his elbows too much.[30]

Match details

Arsenal1–0Sheffield United
Drake Goal 74' Report
Sheffield United
GK Scotland Alex Wilson
FB England George Male
FB England Eddie Hapgood
HB England Jack Crayston
HB England Herbie Roberts
HB England Wilf Copping
FW England Joe Hulme
FW England Ray Bowden
FW England Ted Drake
FW Scotland Alex James (c)
FW England Cliff Bastin
England George Allison
GK England Jack Smith
FB England Harry Hooper (c)
FB England Charlie Wilkinson
HB England Ernest Jackson
HB England Tom Johnson
HB Scotland Archie McPherson
FW England Harold Barton
FW England Bobby Barclay
FW Scotland Jock Dodds
FW England Jack Pickering
FW England Bertie Williams
England Teddy Davison

Match rules

  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Replay if scores still level.

Post match

Arsenal returned to Brighton following the game to rest, where they had conducted their pre-match training. Each of the victorious player's wives were presented with a silver wristwatch. Neither club reported any injuries sustained during the match.[31] This was not the final match of the season for Arsenal, who followed the final with a further three league matches in a week, including a game against London rivals Chelsea.[31] Their final match of the season was against Brentford in the London Challenge Cup on 4 May,[32] where they won 4–2.[33] Arsenal finished the season in sixth position in the First Division, having drawn 2–2 with Leeds in their final match.[34] Sheffield United finished the Second Division in third place,[34] missing out on promotion to the higher tier by one place.[35]

Sheffield United are yet to return to an FA Cup Final,[36] the closest the club has been in FA Cup is the semi-finals where they lost to Leicester City in 1961, Sheffield Wednesday in 1993, Newcastle United in 1998, Arsenal in 2003 only to be defeated again by Arsenal, months before losing to Liverpool in the same round in the 2003 Football League Cup and Hull City in 2014[37] The shirt worn by Alex James during the 1936 final is displayed in the Arsenal Museum.[38] Jock Dodds, who died on 23 February 2007, was the last surviving player from the final.[39]


  1. ^ a b Reyes Padilla, Macario. "England FA Challenge Cup 1935–1936". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
  2. ^ Sarl, J.M. (13 January 1936). "Bastin Saves The Arsenal". The Daily Mirror. Cecil King. p. 26.
  3. ^ "Arsenal Regain Command". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 27 January 1936. p. 4.
  4. ^ a b "An Exciting Game at Newcastle". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 17 February 1936. p. 5.
  5. ^ "Draw for Fifth Round". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 31 January 1936. p. 6.
  6. ^ "Newcastle Well Beaten". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 20 February 1936. p. 6.
  7. ^ "Arsenal's Misery". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 2 March 1936. p. 6.
  8. ^ "Arsenal in the Final". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 23 March 1936. p. 6.
  9. ^ "Last of the Replays". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 17 January 1936. p. 5.
  10. ^ "Sheffield United Win". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 31 January 1936. p. 6.
  11. ^ "Sheffield Utd v Leeds Utd". News of the World. News International Trading Limited. 9 March 2003. p. 81.
  12. ^ "Sheffield United Beat Tottenham". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 2 March 1936. p. 6.
  13. ^ "Wembley in Sight". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 21 March 1936. p. 5.
  14. ^ "Fulham's Revenge". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 27 March 1936. p. 6.
  15. ^ "English FA Cup : Honours". Statto.com. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
  16. ^ a b "Arsenal's Chances at Wembley". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 25 April 1936. p. 12.
  17. ^ "England's Chances at Wembley". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 4 April 1936. p. 6.
  18. ^ "Scotland Draw at Wembley". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 6 April 1936. p. 6.
  19. ^ a b Motson, John (2005). Motson's FA Cup Odyssey: The World's Greatest Knockout Competition. London: Robson. p. 102. ISBN 978-1-86105-903-1.
  20. ^ a b "Companies' Ruse to Obtain Pictures". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 27 April 1936. p. 11.
  21. ^ Kennedy, Maev (27 September 2010). "One million bird's eye views of Britain to go online". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
  22. ^ a b "The Cup Final Broadcast". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 21 April 1936. p. 12.
  23. ^ "The Arsenal shirt badge". Arsenal F.C. Archived from the original on 30 October 2009. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
  24. ^ "Sheffield United 1936 F.A Cup Final". Toffs.com. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
  25. ^ "Arsenals' Success at Wembley". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 27 April 1936. p. 14.
  26. ^ "United mourn 1936 FA Cup star Albert Cox". The Star. Johnson Press. 9 April 2003. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
  27. ^ a b c d e f g h i "Arsenal's Victory at Wembley". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 27 April 1936. p. 5.
  28. ^ Wood, Lainson (27 April 1936). "Massed Defence That Baffled United". The Daily Mirror. Cecil King. p. 30.
  29. ^ "Ephraim 'Jock' Dodds". The Scotsman. Johnston Press. 1 March 2007. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
  30. ^ Russell, W.E.; Bryan, T.G.; Spiers, E.H; Musther, W. (27 April 1936). "Stop-Go, Safety-First Final". The Daily Mirror. Cecil King. p. 30.
  31. ^ a b "Sunday By The Sea - As Reward". The Daily Mirror. Cecil King. 27 April 1936. p. 30.
  32. ^ "Arsenal's Arrangements". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 16 April 1936. p. 5.
  33. ^ "Sports in Brief". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 5 May 1936. p. 7.
  34. ^ a b "Results and Final Tables". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 4 May 1936. p. 7.
  35. ^ "Charlton Athletic's Fine Performance". The Times. John Jacob Astor. 4 May 1936. p. 7.
  36. ^ "The FA Cup Archive". The FA. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
  37. ^ Morgan, Michael (10 April 2003). "This will be our biggest shock ever". The Sun. News International Trading Limited. p. 74.
  38. ^ Davies, Hunter (27 October 2002). "Football disciple Hunter Davies embarks on a pilgrimage to the game's museums". The Sunday Times. Associated Newspapers Ltd. p. 90.
  39. ^ Ponting, Ivan (7 March 2007). "Jock Dodds: Wartime Scotland goal-scorer". The Independent. Independent Print Ltd. p. 37.

External links

1935–36 FA Cup

The 1935–36 FA Cup was the 61st season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Arsenal won the competition for the second time, beating Sheffield United 1–0 in the final at Wembley, through a late goal from Ted Drake.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

Alf Kirchen

Alfred John Kirchen (26 August 1913 – 18 August 1999) was an English footballer.

Born in Shouldham, Norfolk, Kirchen played for local clubs, and for his county at youth level. He was signed by Tom Parker, the manager of Second Division Norwich City in 1934 and he immediately impressed, scoring seven goals in fourteen League games, and three in four FA Cup games for the Canaries. He soon caught the eye of First Division champions Arsenal, and was signed for £6,000 in March 1935, at the age of 21.

Kirchen arrived too late at Arsenal to pick up a League winner's medal (the club completed a hat-trick of titles that year), but he still made an immediate impact, scoring twice on his debut against Arsenal's arch-rivals Tottenham Hotspur on 6 March 1935 – the match finished 6–0 to Arsenal, a record in a North London derby. An outside right, Kirchen had to fight for a first-team spot with Joe Hulme (who started the 1936 FA Cup Final ahead of him), but by the start of the 1936–37 season, Kirchen was the Gunners' first-choice outside right.

Kirchen became well known for his fierce shooting; unusually fast and immensely powerful, he was equally at home on either wing, for he could hit a ball left or right-footed, with equal facility, which soon attracted international attention; he picked up 3 caps and scored 2 goals for England on a 1937 tour of Scandinavia, his debut coming against Norway on 14 May 1937, and his final match being against Finland on 20 May of the same year. Despite these performances however, he was never picked again.

He finally picked up a League winners' medal as Arsenal won the 1937–38 title, playing nineteen games that season, but the Second World War intervened just as he was reaching the peak of his career. Kirchen served in the Royal Air Force as a PT instructor, which allowed him to continue playing wartime matches for Arsenal (he appeared 113 times, scoring 80 goals, as well as three more times for England), but a severe injury picked up in a match against West Ham United in 1943 forced his early retirement. In all, excluding wartime appearances, he played 101 League and Cup professional games for Arsenal, scoring 45 goals (total: 214 appearances and 125 goals).

Kirchen later returned to his old club Norwich City, as a trainer, before leaving football to become a farmer at Thwaite St. Mary and Hedenham in south Norfolk. He later returned to Norwich as a director of the club, and also served as Honorary President of the Norfolk Arsenal Supporters Club. He also represented his country at clay pigeon shooting and was a keen player of lawn bowls. He died in 1999, several days short of what would have been his 86th birthday.

Archie McPherson (footballer)

Archie McPherson (born 10 February 1909 in Buchanan, Stirling, Scotland, died 1969) was a Scottish footballer. McPherson began his career with Rangers before moving south of the border to join Liverpool, after just one year. He was to be a regular in Liverpool's first-team for the next five years, playing as an inside-left, and forming a partnership with Fred Hopkin. Described as a skilful player and an accurate passer, he moved on to Sheffield United, where he was employed as a wing-half. He featured on the losing side in the 1936 FA Cup Final, before returning to Scotland to spend one year at Falkirk, after which he retired. He later managed Alloa Athletic

He also played cricket, as a batsman, for Clackmannan County in the Scottish Counties Championship.

Arthur W. Barton

Arthur Willoughby Barton (14 September 1899 – 24 August 1976) was a noted headmaster, academic author and top-class football referee. He was educated at Nottingham High School and then Trinity College, Cambridge, after military service with the Royal Engineers. His father was Professor Edwin H Barton, FRS, Professor of Physics, University College, Nottingham.

He read Natural Sciences (Physics) taking Firsts in Parts I and II; in 1922, he was awarded First Class Honours in Physics in the London BSc examination. From 1922 to 1925 he was a research student at the Cavendish Laboratory (in Lord Rutherford's group).

He was Chief Physics Master at Repton School from 1926 until 1939, when Dr Fisher, later Archbishop of Canterbury, was headmaster. While at Repton he was awarded a doctorate from the University of London for a thesis in radioactive decay (the measurement of the half-period of Radium C).

In 1939, he was appointed headmaster of King Edward VII School, Sheffield (photo). From 1950 to 1965 he was headmaster of the City of London School.

Barton was the author of textbooks on heat and light, for example A text book on heat (ISBN B0000CLWRV).

He was a top-class football referee: he refereed the Semi-final between Austria and Poland in the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, and was linesman in the 1936 FA Cup Final between Arsenal and Sheffield United.

In 1935 he married Alison Mary, second daughter of Colin Read Shaw.

Bobby Barclay

Robert Barclay (27 October 1906 – 13 July 1969) was an English footballer who played as an inside forward. Born in Scotswood, Newcastle upon Tyne Barclay is best remembered for his time at Sheffield United for whom he played in the 1936 FA Cup Final, but also had spells for Derby County and Huddersfield Town. Barclay also represented England on three occasions, scoring two goals.

Cliff Bastin

Clifford Sydney Bastin (14 March 1912 – 4 December 1991) was an English footballer who played as a winger for Exeter City and Arsenal football club. He also played for the England national football team. Bastin is Arsenal's third-highest goalscorer of all time.

Harold Barton

Harold Barton (3 August 1910 – 1969) was an English footballer who played as forward. Born in Leigh, Lancashire, he played for Liverpool, for whom he made over 100 appearances, and Sheffield United, for whom he played over 200 times.

Harry Hooper (footballer, born 1910)

Harry Reed Hooper (16 December 1910 – 24 March 1970) was an English professional footballer who played as a full-back. Born in Burnley, Lancashire, he started his career with Nelson before joining Sheffield United in 1930. During his time with United, he captained the side in the 1936 FA Cup Final. After 17 years with the club, he moved to Hartlepools United before retiring in 1950. Between 1957 and 1962, he was the manager of Halifax Town.

Harry Nattrass

Harry Nattrass (born 1898, date of death unknown) was an English football referee who hailed from Seaham, in County Durham.

Jack Peart

John George Peart (3 October 1888 – 3 September 1948) was an English footballer who played centre forward for 13 different teams, in a career which spanned the First World War. After he retired he became a football manager until his death in 1948.

Peart was a centre forward who had a nomadic career. He played for eight league clubs in a career which spanned 19 years and every division of the Football League. He also played non-league football in the Southern and Welsh leagues, as well as guesting for other clubs during the First World War. Peart was known as the 'most injured man in football', his worst injury being a broken leg in 1910 at Stoke which kept him out of football for two seasons. As a manager, he spent a further 25 years in the Football League, and took charge at Rochdale, Bradford City, and Fulham. He won two minor league titles with Stoke, won the Second Division with Notts County in 1913–14, and led Rochdale to second place in the Third Division North in 1923–24 and 1926–27.

Jack Pickering

John Pickering (18 December 1908 – 10 May 1977) was an English footballer who played for Sheffield United between 1925 and 1948. He played in the position of inside left.

Pickering learned his football at Barnsley Grammar School and Mortomley St. Saviours from where he came directly to United at the age of 17, in 1925. He was a tall, long striding attacking player, and was instantly seen as a successor to Billy Gillespie at inside-forward. Jack was a part-time player, first working as a bookmaker and then an accountant.

He was a clever manipulator of the ball and a master of the long cross field pass which had been a feature of Sheffield United’s play in the 1890s. An intelligent player, he generally lay far back behind, directing his fellow forwards with discriminating passes.

Pickering became a regular first team player at the end of the 1920s as Gillespie's playing career wound down. Jack's ball control was excellent as was his passing. He played a thoughtful studied game, simple in essence, but he was also a fast runner and began to score splendid goals with hard shots often from around the edge of the six yard box.

Yet, the United matchday programme writer in October 1930 grumbled that Pickering did not put 'enough ginger' into his play and judged him as 'moody'.He was chosen for the Football League side in 1932 and for the Rest against England in an international trial in March 1933. The Rest forward line played so well (winning 5-1) that they were all chosen to play Scotland at Hampden Park. Pickering received what turned out to be his only international cap for England in that match.Pickering scored two goals in the FA Cup 5th round tie against Leeds United at Bramall Lane on 15 February 1936, in a match watched by a record crowd of 68,287.

He possessed a strong shot and played in 39 matches in season 1935-36, scoring 17 goals as United reached the 1936 FA Cup Final. Pickering partnered striker Bobby Barclay in the final against Arsenal at Wembley Stadium, and both impressed with their stylish distribution and approach play. But it was not to be United’s day and they lost the match 1-0.

In season 1938-39, Pickering was partnered with Jimmy Hagan in possibly one of the Blades' most exciting teams of the 1900s. When World War II broke out, United were standing at the top of the First Division - the season was canceled after just three matches.

He played in Wartime matches for Sheffield United, and made eleven appearances in the team which won the League North title in season 1945-46. The first post-war season saw him make just one appearance and that was in the Championship decider against Stoke City. Pickering scored United's second goal that was to take the title to Liverpool with United finishing sixth in Division One.

In a career that spanned 23 seasons, he made his final appearance for Sheffield United against Portsmouth at Bramall Lane on 1 January 1948 when he was 39 years old. Overall, he made 367 (344 league) appearances and scored 110 goals (101 league) in all competitions,

in a career exclusively with United.

Pickering had trained as an accountant, and he cut his formal links with the soccer world taking a hotel in Bournemouth. He died aged 68.

Jock Dodds

Ephraim "Jock" Dodds (7 September 1915 – 23 February 2007) was a Scottish professional football player. He played in the 1936 FA Cup Final, and, at the time of his death, he was the oldest surviving player to have played in a final at Wembley Stadium.

List of Arsenal F.C. managers

Arsenal Football Club is an English professional association football club based in Islington, London. The club was formed in Woolwich in 1886 as Dial Square before it was shortly renamed to Royal Arsenal, and then Woolwich Arsenal in 1893. They became the first southern member admitted into the Football League in 1893, having spent their first four seasons solely participating in cup tournaments and friendlies. The club's name was shortened to Arsenal in 1914, a year after moving to Highbury. In spite of finishing fifth in the Second Division in 1915, Arsenal rejoined the First Division at the expense of local rivals Tottenham Hotspur when football resumed after the First World War. Since that time, they have not fallen below the first tier of the English football league system and hold the record for the longest uninterrupted period in the top flight.There have been nineteen permanent and seven caretaker managers of Arsenal since 1897; Stewart Houston has managed the club in two separate spells as caretaker. The most successful person to manage Arsenal is Arsène Wenger, who won three Premier League titles, seven FA Cups and seven Community Shields between 1996 and 2018. Wenger is the club's longest-serving manager; he surpassed George Allison's record of 13 years in October 2009. Two Arsenal managers have died in the job – Herbert Chapman and Tom Whittaker.

This chronological list comprises all those who have held the position of manager of the first team of Arsenal since their foundation in 1886. Each manager's entry includes his dates of tenure and the club's overall competitive record (in terms of matches won, drawn and lost), honours won and significant achievements while under his care. Caretaker managers are included, where known, as well as those who have been in permanent charge.

Pat Beasley

Albert Beasley (16 July 1913 – 27 February 1986), generally known as Pat Beasley, was a England international footballer who made more than 400 appearances in the Football League. He also became a manager.

Teddy Davison

John Edward "Teddy" Davison (2 September 1887 – 1 February 1971) was an English footballer and manager who had a long and successful association with the football clubs of Sheffield, playing for Sheffield Wednesday for 18 years and later managing Sheffield United for 20 years. His fairness and diplomacy earned him the nicknames of "The George Washington of Sheffield football" and "Honest Ted". Davison played as a goalkeeper in a career, which lasted between 1908 and 1926, he made 424 appearances in all competitions for Sheffield Wednesday (his only league club). Davison was only 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m) tall, very small for a goalkeeper but he made up for this with lightning reflexes and top class anticipation. He has gone down in football records as the smallest goalkeeper ever to play for England, making just one appearance for the national team in March 1922.

Tom Johnson (footballer, born 1911)

Tom Johnson (4 May 1911 – 19 August 1983) was an English footballer who played as a defender. He made over 250 appearances for Sheffield United, the club which his father and brother also played for.

Qualifying rounds
Arsenal F.C. matches
FA Cup Finals
Football League War Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Community Shields
UEFA Champions League Final
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Finals
UEFA Europa League Finals
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Final
European Super Cup
Other matches
FA Cup Finals
Football League play-off Finals
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.