1933 FA Cup Final

The 1933 FA Cup Final was a football match between Everton and Manchester City on 29 April 1933 at Wembley Stadium in London. The deciding match of English football's primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (better known as the FA Cup), it was the 62nd final, and the 11th at Wembley. The 1933 final was the first where the players, including goalkeepers, were issued numbers for identification. Everton were allocated numbers 1–11 and Manchester City numbers 12–22.

Each team progressed through five rounds to reach the final. Everton won 3–0, with goals from Jimmy Stein, Dixie Dean and James Dunn, and won the cup for the first time since 1906.

1933 FA Cup Final
Old Wembley Stadium (external view)
Event1932–33 FA Cup
Everton Manchester City
3 0
Date29 April 1933
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeE. Wood (Sheffield)

Route to the final


Round Opposition Score
3rd Leicester City (a) 3–2
4th Bury (h) 2–0
5th Leeds United (h) 4–2
6th Luton Town (h) 6–0
Semi-final West Ham United (n) 2–1

Both teams entered the competition in the third round, the entry point for First Division clubs. Everton were drawn to play Leicester City at Filbert Street, an all First Division tie. The match was close; Dixie Dean scored for Everton after three minutes, but Leicester quickly levelled the score. A goal by Jimmy Stein gave Everton a 2–1 half-time lead, but Leicester again equalised. James Dunn eventually scored to secure a 3–2 win for Everton.[1] Second Division Bury provided the opposition in the fourth round. Tommy Johnson scored twice for Everton in the opening half-hour. From that point, though Bury enjoyed significant spells of possession, Everton thwarted their efforts by preying on Bury mistakes. In the second half Dean added a third goal from a rebounded Cliff Britton free-kick, and Bury scored a late consolation goal.[2] Everton were drawn to play Leeds United at home in the fifth round. Leeds' strong league form meant Everton entered the match as slight underdogs despite home advantage.[3] Everton goalkeeper Ted Sagar made two important saves in the first half to deny Arthur Hydes and Billy Furness.[3] Everton the gained the upper hand and scored twice, Dean with the first, and Stein with the second, direct from a corner.[4]

Against Third Division Luton Town in the quarter-final, Everton won comfortably. The match remained scoreless for half an hour, but after Stein opened the scoring for Everton the match became one-sided, and ended 6–0. Stein and Johnson both scored twice, along with a goal each for Dunn and Dean, the latter maintaining his record of scoring in every round.[5] By this time Everton were viewed as favourites to win the competition.[6] In the semi-final they played West Ham at Molineux, Wolverhampton. Everton took the lead in the sixth minute. A corner kick by Stein was headed on by Johnson, and then headed into the net by Dunn.[7] Everton had the better of the play in the first half, but Vic Watson scored for West Ham just before half-time. In the second half West Ham's Woods missed an open goal from six yards (5.5m).[7] Everton then capitalised on their reprieve. With seven minutes remaining, a mistake by Jim Barrett allowed Edward Critchley to go clear on goal and score the winner.[8]

Manchester City

Round Opposition Score
3rd Gateshead (a) 1–1
Gateshead (h) 9–0
4th Walsall (h) 2–0
5th Bolton Wanderers (a) 4–2
6th Burnley (a) 1–0
Semi-final Derby County (n) 3–2

Manchester City started the competition at Third Division Gateshead. Despite the disparity in league positions, a heavy pitch made for an even game, which finished 1–1.[9] The replay at Maine Road was one-sided. A 9–0 Manchester City win featured six different scorers, including a hat-trick from Fred Tilson.[10] In the fourth round Manchester City faced another Third Division side, Walsall, who had provided the surprise result of the third round by defeating league leaders Arsenal.[11] Brook scored both goals in a 2–0 win, in which Walsall's Reed was sent off for a foul on Brook.[12] The fifth round brought a short trip to Bolton Wanderers, where the attendance of 69,920 was the highest of the round.[3] Bolton took the lead, but Brook scored twice in quick succession to give Manchester City the advantage at the interval.[4] Bolton equalised when a gust of wind caught Ray Westwood's corner. Brook completed a hat trick with a penalty to regain the lead, and in the closing minutes Tilson completed a 4–2 victory.[4] The Manchester Guardian suggested Brook's "magnificent display" made him a contender for an England call-up.[3]

Manchester City's quarter-final was against Burnley of the Second Division. City took the lead early in the match following a solo goal by Tilson. In the second-half Burnley discarded their passing game in favour of a direct approach, and pressured the Manchester City goal. The City defence stood firm, and the match finished 1–0.[5] City's opponents for the semi-final, held at Leeds Road, Huddersfield, were Derby County. Derby had two chances to score in the first half, but both were missed.[13] A Manchester City counter-attack produced the opening goal, when Brook crossed and Toseland headed in.[8] By midway through the second half Manchester City led by three goals. The second was scored by Tilson, a follow-up after an initial saved shot.[13] McMullan scored the third after dribbling through the Derby defence.[13] Derby mounted a late comeback. A goal by Howard Fabian reduced the deficit to two, and Sammy Crooks added a late second for Derby, but it was too late to affect the result of the match, which ended 3–2.[13]


Everton had contested the final on four previous occasions. They beat Newcastle United 1–0 to win the Cup in 1906, but were defeated in the 1893, 1897 and 1907 finals. The 1933 final was Manchester City's third. Both their previous finals were against Bolton Wanderers. Manchester City won by a goal to nil in 1904, and lost by the same scoreline in 1926. Both teams had performed well in the previous season. Manchester City reached the semi-finals of the 1932 FA Cup; Everton were reigning league champions.[14] The clubs had never previously met in cup competition. The league matches between the two earlier in the season each finished as a win for the home team.[15] At the time of the final, Everton's league position was tenth, and Manchester City's sixteenth.[16] Newspapers did not declare a clear favourite for the win. Everton were viewed as having the more skilful players, particularly their forwards, whereas Manchester City were seen as having greater strength and determination.[15][17]

Everton spent the week before the match in the spa town of Buxton, and travelled to Dorking on the eve of the match. Manchester City spent the week in Bushey.[17] Everton's James Dunn received treatment on a thigh injury in the ten days preceding the game, but was anticipated to be fit enough to play.[18] Manchester City's main injury worry was Fred Tilson, who was troubled by a leg injury.[17] Dunn was passed fit well before the game, allowing Everton to field the same line-up that played in four of their five previous cup ties.[19]

Ten miles (16 km) of barbed wire was used to secure Wembley Stadium against unauthorised entry.[20] The pre-match entertainment was music by the Band of the Irish Guards, and communal singing backed by the band of the Royal Horse Guards.[21] Inclement weather prevented the attendance of King George V.[22] Instead the guest of honour was the Duke of York. Other guests present included Baron Wigram, Admiral Sir Lionel Halsey, Austrian envoy Baron von Franckenstein and the West Indies cricket team.[21]

The Manchester City line-up contained two survivors from the 1926 team, Sam Cowan and Jimmy McMullan. The only Everton player with cup final experience was Tommy Johnson, who also played for Manchester City in the 1926 final. He represented the Manchester club between 1919 and 1930, and at the time of the 1933 final was Manchester City's all-time highest goalscorer.

Both teams usually wore blue, causing a colour clash. The competition rules required both teams to wear alternative colours.[23] For the first time in a cup final, the players wore numbered shirts.[24] Everton were numbered 1–11, and Manchester City 12–22. Everton goalkeeper Sagar wore 1, with the forwards bearing the higher numbers. Manchester City were the reverse. Forward Brook wore 12, through to goalkeeper Langford who wore 22.[17][25]


Each team played the formation typical of the era: two full-backs, three half-backs and five forwards. With Tilson absent from the Manchester City line-up, Alec Herd moved across to Tilson's usual centre-forward position, and Bobby Marshall was selected at inside-right.[26] For Everton, Albert Geldard who was injured for the semi-final was selected at outside right, and Ted Critchley who scored the winning goal in the FA Cup semi-final, was left out of the side.

Manchester City had the first attack of the match, but it came to nothing.[27] Soon Everton began to dominate the match, with Dean frequently involved in the attacking play.[28] Several Everton attacks came on their left flank. Stein caused Manchester City right-back Sid Cann problems,[29] and Cann was forced to concede a corner kick on several occasions.[27] Just after the half-hour Everton had their first shot on target, when Stein's effort was saved by Langford.[27] Another chance quickly arrived. Stein's cross passed in front of goal, but Dean was unable to connect with the ball.[28] Two minutes later Manchester City goalkeeper Langford attempted to catch a cross from Britton, but dropped the ball under pressure from Dean. The ball fell into the path of Stein, who put the ball into the empty net to give Everton the lead.[27][28][30] At half-time Everton led 1–0.

Everton continued to control the game in the second half. Manchester City took shots from long range, but none required Sagar to make a save.[26] Seven minutes into the second half, Langford again failed to catch a Britton cross, and Dean charged to the net. Dean, ball and goalkeeper all landed in the goal, making the score 2–0.[31][32] Manchester City then made a few fruitless attacks. As was the case throughout the game, the Everton defence outplayed the Manchester City forwards. The Manchester Guardian singled out Warney Cresswell for particular praise, describing his performance as "an almost perfect display".[27] Ten minutes from time a Dunn header from a corner made the score 3–0 to Everton.[26] Just before the end Everton's Johnson had a chance to make it 4–0, but the referee blew his whistle for full-time before Johnson could take his shot.[27]

Match details

Everton3–0Manchester City
Stein Goal 41'
Dean Goal 52'
Dunn Goal 80'
Manchester City
1 England Ted Sagar
2 Northern Ireland Billy Cook
3 England Warney Cresswell
4 England Cliff Britton
5 England Tommy White
6 Scotland Jock Thomson
7 England Albert Geldard
8 Scotland James Dunn
9 England Dixie Dean (c)
10 England Tommy Johnson
11 Scotland Jimmy Stein
None – team selection made in consultation with Dean[33]
22 England Len Langford
21 England Sid Cann
20 England Bill Dale
19 Scotland Matt Busby
18 England Sam Cowan(c)
17 England Jackie Bray
16 England Ernie Toseland
15 England Bobby Marshall
14 Scotland Alec Herd
13 Scotland Jimmy McMullan
12 England Eric Brook
England Wilf Wild


Everton captain Dixie Dean led his team to the Royal Box and received the cup from the Duke of York.[34] Everton returned to Liverpool on the Monday evening, and paraded the city in the same horse-drawn carriage used in the celebrations of their previous cup win in 1906.[35] The players attended a reception at the town hall, where large crowds greeted them.[36] After the reception the cup was taken to Goodison Park for public viewing.[35]

Newsreels of the final featured post-match toasts by the two captains. First Dixie Dean, raising his glass, said "Here's to Lancashire, and may the cup stay in Lancashire. If Everton don't win it, may another Lancashire club win it." Cowan replied "I hope the next Lancashire club that wins it is Manchester City, my club".[37] The following year's final made the captains' remarks look perceptive. Cowan and his Manchester City team returned, and beat Portsmouth 2–1 to win the 1934 cup.[38] Both Manchester City and Everton also went on to win the league championship later in the decade; Manchester City in 1937, and Everton in 1939.


  1. ^ JAH Catton (15 January 1933). "Amazing Cup-ties: The Arsenal Put Out". The Observer. p. 24.
  2. ^ "Bury's Skill at Half-back Wasted: Failure of Inside Forwards Gives Everton an Easy Victory". The Manchester Guardian. 30 January 1933. p. 3.
  3. ^ a b c d "FA Cup Fifth Round Matches: Lancashire's Three in the Last Eight, Everton Beat Leeds". The Manchester Guardian. 20 February 1933. p. 3.
  4. ^ a b c JAH Catton (19 February 1933). "Association Football: Masterly Everton". The Observer. p. 24.
  5. ^ a b JAH Catton (5 March 1933). "Association Football: The Fight For The Cup". The Observer. p. 26.
  6. ^ "FA Cup Semi-finalists". The Manchester Guardian. 6 March 1933. p. 3.
  7. ^ a b "Everton's victory over West Ham". The Manchester Guardian. 20 March 1933. p. 3.
  8. ^ a b JAH Catton (19 March 1933). "Association Football: A Lancashire Final". The Observer. p. 29.
  9. ^ Ward, The Manchester City Story, p. 31.
  10. ^ Maddox, Saffer and Robinson, Manchester City Cup Kings 1956, p. 13.
  11. ^ "Arsenal's Conquerors Visit Manchester City: Bury Visit Everton". The Manchester Guardian. 28 January 1933. p. 6.
  12. ^ JAH Catton (29 January 1933). "Topsy-turvy Cup-ties. Many Stalwarts Fallen". The Observer. p. 22.
  13. ^ a b c d "Manchester City's Splendid Form". The Manchester Guardian. 20 March 1933. p. 3.
  14. ^ Pawson, Tony (1972). 100 Years of the FA Cup. London: Heinemann. p. 145. ISBN 0-330-23274-6.
  15. ^ a b "To-day's Cup Final – Everton's Advantage in Skill, Manchester City's in Temperament". The Guardian. 29 April 1933. p. 7.
  16. ^ "English Division One (old) 1932–1933 : Table on 27.04.1933". Statto Organisation. Archived from the original on 2 March 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
  17. ^ a b c d "F.A. Cup Final: Preparations at Wembley". The Times. 27 April 1933. p. 6.
  18. ^ "Dunn and the Cup Final". The Scotsman. 20 April 1933. p. 14.
  19. ^ "Everton to play full team". The Guardian. 28 April 1933. p. 3.
  20. ^ "Preparing for the Cup Final". The Guardian. 25 April 1933. p. 4.
  21. ^ a b "The Cup Final: To-day's match At Wembley". The Times. 29 April 1933. p. 6.
  22. ^ "93,000 See Everton Win The Cup". The Observer. 30 April 1933. p. 17.
  23. ^ "Cup Final Colour Clash". The Scotsman. 6 April 1933. p. 15.
  24. ^ Lloyd, Guy; Holt, Nick (2005). The F.A. Cup – The Complete Story. Aurum Press. pp. 129–130. ISBN 1-84513-054-5.
  25. ^ Ward, Andrew (1984). The Manchester City Story. Derby: Breedon. p. 32. ISBN 0-907969-05-4.
  26. ^ a b c "English Cup final: Manchester City Outclassed By Everton". The Scotsman. 1 May 1933. p. 6.
  27. ^ a b c d e f "Everton's Easy Cup Victory". Manchester Guardian. 1 May 1933. p. 3.
  28. ^ a b c JAH Catton (30 April 1933). "Everton Win the Cup: An Emphatic Victory". The Observer. p. 28.
  29. ^ JAH Catton (30 April 1933). "Everton Win the Cup: An Emphatic Victory". The Observer. p. 28. [Stein] was frequently plied with the ball because it was patent the the [sic?] right-back could not cope with this spirited and wily Scot
  30. ^ Maddox, John; Saffer, David; Robinson, Peter (1999). Manchester City Cup Kings 1956. Liverpool: Over the Moon. p. 15. ISBN 1-872568-66-1.
  31. ^ JAH Catton (30 April 1933). "Everton Win the Cup: An Emphatic Victory". The Observer. p. 28. Langford jumped to handle. The ball seemed under the crossbar, but Dean to make sure bumped the keeper and the ball into the net.
  32. ^ "Everton's Easy Cup Victory". Manchester Guardian. 1 May 1933. p. 3. Langford waited a fraction of a second too long to catch Britton's bar-high centre, and before he knew what had happened he was lying on the ground and Dean and the ball were inside the net.
  33. ^ "FA Cup Final 1933". Everton FC. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
  34. ^ James, Gary (2011). Manchester: The Greatest City (1919–1937) (Kindle Edition). Halifax: James Ward. location 1241.
  35. ^ a b "Cup Winners' Tour in Four-in-hand". Manchester Guardian. 1 May 1933. p. 13.
  36. ^ "The Cup Reaches Liverpool". Manchester Guardian. 2 May 1933. p. 17.
  37. ^ A History of Football (DVD). Marks and Spencer. 2003.
  38. ^ James, Gary (2006). Manchester City – The Complete Record. Derby: Breedon. p. 46. ISBN 1-85983-512-0.
1932–33 FA Cup

The 1932–33 FA Cup was the 58th season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Everton won the competition for the second time, beating Manchester City 3–0 in the final at Wembley.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

Albert Geldard

Albert Geldard (11 April 1914 – 19 October 1989) was an English professional footballer who played as an outside right for Bradford Park Avenue, Everton, Bolton Wanderers and Darwen. At Everton he won the FA Cup Final in 1933. He made four appearances for England during 1933–1937. At Bradford Park Avenue; he became known as the youngest player to appear in the Football League, a distinction shared jointly with Ken Roberts until Reuben Noble-Lazarus took the record in 2008.

Alec Herd

Alexander Herd (8 November 1911 – 21 August 1982) was a Scottish professional footballer. Born in Bowhill, Fife, he played as a forward for Hamilton Academicals, Manchester City and Stockport County. Herd also represented Scotland in a wartime international match.

Arthur Kingscott

Arthur Kingscott (21 Jan 1864 – 19 June 1937) was a footballing personality from Derbyshire at the turn of the 20th century. He was from New Sawley, Long Eaton in Derbyshire England, later serving as a treasurer at the Football Association. There is an unconfirmed report in Caxton's 'Association Football' (1960) that Kingscott played a hand in the discovery of Steve Bloomer before his first game with Derby County.

Blackburn United F.C.

Blackburn United Football Club are a Scottish football club from the town of Blackburn, West Lothian. The team plays at Tier 6 of the Scottish Football Pyramid in the East of Scotland Football League (Conference C) having moved from the junior leagues in 2018.

Eric Brook

Eric Fred Brook (27 November 1907 – 29 March 1965) was an English footballer who played in the outside left position. Brook was also an England international. He was a muscular player with 'one of the fiercest shots in pre-war football' and was a good penalty taker. Brook is regarded as one of Manchester City's and England's greatest ever players. He has been described 'as a brilliant roving

forward for Manchester City and England' and 'one of the great names of British football'.

Ernie Toseland

Ernie Toseland (17 March 1905 – 19 October 1987) was an English footballer who played in the outside right position. He has been described as 'a flying winger – football's Jesse Owens'.

Frank Swift

Frank Victor Swift (26 December 1913 – 6 February 1958) was an English footballer, who played as a goalkeeper for Manchester City and England. After starting his career with local clubs near his home town of Blackpool, in 1932 he was signed by First Division Manchester City, with whom he played his entire professional career.

Swift broke into the Manchester City first team in 1933, taking part in the club's run to the 1934 FA Cup Final, where the club triumphed 2–1 against Portsmouth. Three years later Swift won a League Championship medal, after playing in every match of Manchester City's championship-winning season. War denied Swift several years of playing in his prime, though during wartime he was chosen to represent his country in international matches. After the war he made his competitive international debut, playing 19 internationals between 1946 and 1949.

Swift retired in 1949, taking up a career in journalism as a football correspondent for the News of the World. He died, aged 44, in the Munich air disaster after reporting on Manchester United's European Cup match against Red Star Belgrade.

Fred Tilson

Samuel Frederick Tilson (19 April 1904 – 21 November 1972) was an English professional footballer who played for Manchester City and England. He was born in Swinton, South Yorkshire. He was part of the City team that won both the FA Cup and the League Championship (Division 1) in the 1930s. He has been described as 'a quick thinker with an elusive body-swerve'.

History of Manchester City F.C. (1965–2001)

This page chronicles the history of Manchester City in further detail from 1965 to 2001. See History of Manchester City F.C. for a history overview of Manchester City.

Jimmy Stein

James Stein (born 7 November 1904) was a Scottish professional association footballer who played as a winger. Stein was a model professional who had the distinction of scoring Everton's first-ever goal at Wembley when he netted in the 1933 FA Cup Final. A Scotsman, he joined Everton from Dunfermline Athletic in 1928 and was part of the Blues teams that won the 2nd Division, 1st Division and FA Cup in successive seasons between 1930 and 1933. He moved on to Burnley in October 1936 before ending his career at New Brighton

Jock Thomson

John Ross "Jock" Thomson (6 July 1906 in Thornton, Fife – 1979) was a Scottish football player and manager.

Thomson, a wing half, started his career with Thornton Rangers in his native Fife, before moving to Dundee, where he played for four years. In 1929 he moved to Everton. His Everton career had an inauspicious start, with the club suffering relegation in his first season. The following season, he gained a Second Division winners medal as Everton made an immediate return to the top flight, and then added a First Division medal in 1932 as Everton became champions. Later that year he made his international debut, representing Scotland in a 5–2 home international defeat against Wales, though this was to be his only international appearance. He played in the 1933 FA Cup Final, helping Everton to a 3–0 win against Manchester City. Later in his time at Everton first team appearances became more uncommon for Thomson as he was displaced from the team by Joe Mercer. Thomson retired from playing in 1938, having made 299 appearances for Everton, in which he scored five goals.In 1947 Thomson became manager of Manchester City, replacing Sam Cowan. In his first season in charge the club finished tenth in the First Division, though they failed to win any of the final six games of the season. The 1948–49 season saw a slight upturn with a seventh-place finish. In October 1949 Thomson made the decision to sign goalkeeper Bert Trautmann, attracting criticism for signing a former German paratrooper so soon after World War II. Trautmann justified Thomson's decision by going on to play for the club for 15 years. The 1949–50 season proved to be Thomson's last. With two thirds of the season gone City had won only five matches. Thomson was dismissed, and at the end of season the club were relegated.

After leaving Manchester City, Thomson returned to Scotland, where he ran a pub until his retirement. He died in 1979.

Kit (association football)

In association football, kit (also referred to as a strip or uniform) is the standard equipment and attire worn by players. The sport's Laws of the Game specify the minimum kit which a player must use, and also prohibit the use of anything that is dangerous to either the player or another participant. Individual competitions may stipulate further restrictions, such as regulating the size of logos displayed on shirts and stating that, in the event of a match between teams with identical or similar colours, the away team must change to different coloured attire.

Footballers generally wear identifying numbers on the backs of their shirts. Originally a team of players wore numbers from 1 to 11, corresponding roughly to their playing positions, but at the professional level this has generally been superseded by squad numbering, whereby each player in a squad is allocated a fixed number for the duration of a season. Professional clubs also usually display players' surnames or nicknames on their shirts, above (or, infrequently, below) their squad numbers.

Football kit has evolved significantly since the early days of the sport when players typically wore thick cotton shirts, knickerbockers and heavy rigid leather boots. In the twentieth century, boots became lighter and softer, shorts were worn at a shorter length, and advances in clothing manufacture and printing allowed shirts to be made in lighter synthetic fibres with increasingly colourful and complex designs. With the rise of advertising in the 20th century, sponsors' logos began to appear on shirts, and replica strips were made available for fans to purchase, generating significant amounts of revenue for clubs.

National Cutlery Union

The National Cutlery Union was a trade union representing workers involved in the manufacture of cutlery in the United Kingdom, particularly in Sheffield.

The union originated in 1914 when the Table and Butcher Knife Hafters' Trade and Provident Society merged with the Table and Butcher Blade Smithers' Association, forming the Cutlery Union. This initially had 1,072 members, but the figure gradually fell, reaching only 589 members in 1938. That year, it merged with the Amalgamated Scissors Workers Trade, Sick and Funeral Society, and added "National" to its name.From the start, the union admitted women as members, and about half the women working in cutlery manufacture in Sheffield were said to be members by 1920. However, women were not initially eligible for the union's sickness benefits.In 1957, the union merged into the National Union of General and Municipal Workers. By this time, the union had about 900 members.The union's secretary and treasurer was Harold Slack, who also served as a Labour Party member of Sheffield City Council. He was considered for membership of the Design Council, but was ultimately not appointed. Other union officials included Eddie Wood, who in his spare time officiated the 1933 FA Cup Final.

Sid Cann

Sydney Thomas Cann (30 October 1911 – 1 November 1996) was an English professional football defender and football manager. He was capped twice by England at Schools level.

Tommy Johnson (footballer, born 1901)

Thomas Clark Fisher Johnson (19 August 1901 – 28 January 1973) was an English football player who played as either a centre forward or an inside forward. He started his professional career at Manchester City in 1919, and represented the club throughout the 1920s. Known for his powerful left foot shot, Johnson holds the record for the most goals scored by a Manchester City player in a single season, with 38 goals in 1928–29. He played for Manchester City in the 1926 FA Cup Final, and was a member of the City side which won the Second Division in 1927.

Johnson signed for Everton in 1930, acting as a foil for the prolific centre-forward Dixie Dean. In four seasons at Everton, Johnson won the Second Division, the First Division and the FA Cup, before finishing his professional career with a short spell at Liverpool.

Tommy White (footballer, born 1908)

Thomas Angus White (29 July 1908 – 13 August 1967) was an English footballer who started his career as a centre-forward before moving to centre-half, where he played for Everton in the 1933 FA Cup Final as well as making one appearance for England.

Wilf Wild

Wilfred Wild (1893 – 12 December 1950) was a British football manager who served as manager of Manchester City from 1932 to 1946.

Wild first joined Manchester City in 1920 as an assistant to Ernest Mangnall, primarily assisting in administrative matters. Mangnall held the position of secretary-manager, meaning he was responsible for both on-field and off-field matters. Mangnall left the club in 1924, and the role was separated into two areas. David Ashworth was appointed as manager, with the responsibility of selecting the team and coaching, and Wild was appointed as secretary, taking responsibility for administration. Wild remained in this position until 1932, when the manager's position became vacant due to Peter Hodge leaving to become Leicester City manager. Wild took on the managerial role in addition to his existing secretarial duties.In Wild's first season in charge Manchester City reached the 1933 FA Cup final, but lost 3–0 to a Dixie Dean inspired Everton. The following season Wild again led City to the final, this time emerging as 2–1 winners against Portsmouth. The 1933–34 season also saw Wild hand a debut to Frank Swift, who became the club's first choice goalkeeper for the next 16 years. The FA Cup success was accompanied by a fifth place League finish, and the two subsequent seasons also resulted in top half finishes.

The consistency of the preceding seasons was built upon in 1936–37, though the season had an indifferent start in which the team won two of their opening ten matches. By the Christmas results had improved, and in the second half of the season Wild's side embarked on a remarkable unbeaten run, going without defeat in the 22 matches between 26 December and the end of the season. On 10 April City faced Arsenal, the dominant team of the 1930s, and won 2–0 to confirm their position as contenders for the championship. A fortnight later City claimed a seventh consecutive win, beating Sheffield Wednesday 4–1, and became champions of England for the first time.The 1937–38 season was a marked departure from Wild's previous success. Despite playing an attacking style of football which resulted in City scoring more goals than any other club in the division, the season ended in relegation, the only time the reigning English champions have been relegated. Despite this setback Wild remained as manager, and the following season the club finished fifth in the Second Division. League football was then suspended following the outbreak of the Second World War. When competitive football resumed in 1946, Wild wished to step down as manager. On 2 December Sam Cowan was appointed manager and Wild returned to his former position as secretary. His fourteen years in charge make him the longest serving manager in the club's history. He remained club secretary until his death in 1950.

Qualifying rounds
Everton F.C. matches
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Charity Shields
European Cup Winners' Cup Final
European Super Cup
Full Members' Cup Finals
Other matches
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Community Shield
European Cup Winners' Cup Final
Full Members' Cup Final
Football League play-off Final
Other matches
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.