1931–32 FA Cup

The 1931–32 FA Cup was the 57th season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Newcastle United won the competition for the third time, beating Arsenal 2–1 in the final at Wembley.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1931–32 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsWest Bromwich Albion
ChampionsNewcastle United
(3rd title)


Round Date
Extra Preliminary Round Saturday 5 September 1931
Preliminary Round Saturday 19 September 1931
First Round Qualifying Saturday 3 October 1931
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 17 October 1931
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 31 October 1931
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 13 November 1931
First Round Proper Saturday 28 November 1931
Second Round Proper Saturday 12 December 1931
Third Round Proper Saturday 9 January 1932
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 23 January 1932
Fifth Round Proper Saturday 13 February 1932
Sixth Round Proper Saturday 27 March 1932
Semi-Finals Saturday 12 March 1932
Final Saturday 23 April 1932

First round proper

At this stage 42 clubs from the Football League Third Division North and South joined the 25 non-league clubs having come through the qualifying rounds. Southport and Exeter City were given a bye to the Third Round. To make the number of matches up, non-league Aldershot Town were given byes to this round. Bath City were also given a bye to the First Round, awarded during the Fourth Qualifying Round, and not as a result of the normal process of the FA Cup. Also notable in this round is the home win awarded to Burton Town, probably given as a result of Wigan Borough folding that year and resigning from the Football League. 34 matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 28 November 1931. Eight were drawn and went to replays in the following midweek fixture, of which one went to two more replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 4–1 Hartlepools United 28 November 1931
2 Darlington 1–0 Walsall 28 November 1931
3 Darwen 4–1 Peterborough & Fletton United 28 November 1931
4 Bournemouth 1–1 Northfleet United 28 November 1931
Replay Northfleet United 0–1 Bournemouth 2 December 1931
5 Barnet 3–7 Queens Park Rangers 28 November 1931
6 Barrow 3–3 Doncaster Rovers 28 November 1931
Replay Doncaster Rovers 1–1 Barrow 3 December 1931
Replay Barrow 1–1 Doncaster Rovers 7 December 1931
Replay Doncaster Rovers 1–0 Barrow 9 December 1931
7 Bath City 9–0 Nunhead 28 November 1931
8 Reading 0–1 Crystal Palace 28 November 1931
9 Folkestone 2–5 Brighton & Hove Albion 28 November 1931
10 Crewe Alexandra 2–2 Gainsborough Trinity 28 November 1931
Replay Gainsborough Trinity 1–0 Crewe Alexandra 2 December 1931
11 Swindon Town 0–5 Luton Town 28 November 1931
12 Tranmere Rovers 3–0 West Stanley 28 November 1931
13 Fulham 2–0 Guildford City 28 November 1931
14 Crook Town 3–1 Stockport County 28 November 1931
15 Bristol Rovers 5–1 Gillingham 28 November 1931
16 Northampton Town 9–0 Metropolitan Police 28 November 1931
17 Coventry City 2–2 Clapton Orient 28 November 1931
Replay Clapton Orient 2–0 Coventry City 3 December 1931
18 Hull City 4–1 Mansfield Town 28 November 1931
19 Tunbridge Wells Rangers 1–1 Brentford 28 November 1931
Replay Brentford 2–1 Tunbridge Wells Rangers 2 December 1931
20 Wimbledon 1–3 Norwich City 28 November 1931
21 Lancaster Town 0–3 Blyth Spartans 28 November 1931
22 Scunthorpe United 2–1 Rochdale 28 November 1931
23 Cardiff City 8–0 Enfield 28 November 1931
24 Burton Town Walkover -
Home win
Wigan Borough N/A
25 Yeovil & Petter's United 3–1 Hayes 28 November 1931
26 New Brighton 3–1 York City 28 November 1931
27 Torquay United 1–3 Southend United 28 November 1931
28 Newark 1–1 Halifax Town 28 November 1931
Replay Halifax Town 2–1 Newark 2 December 1931
29 Yorkshire Amateur 1–3 Carlisle United 28 November 1931
30 Rotherham United 0–0 Accrington Stanley 28 November 1931
Replay Accrington Stanley 5–0 Rotherham United 2 December 1931
31 Aldershot Town 7–0 Chelmsford 28 November 1931
32 Thames 2–2 Watford 28 November 1931
Replay Watford 2–1 Thames 2 December 1931
33 Manchester Central 0–3 Lincoln City 28 November 1931
34 Gateshead 3–2 Wrexham 28 November 1931

Second Round Proper

The matches were played on Saturday, 12 December 1931. Three matches were drawn, with replays taking place in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Darwen 2–1 Chester 12 December 1931
2 Bournemouth 1–0 Blyth Spartans 12 December 1931
3 Bath City 2–1 Crystal Palace 12 December 1931
4 Lincoln City 2–2 Luton Town 12 December 1931
Replay Luton Town 4–1 Lincoln City 16 December 1931
5 Gainsborough Trinity 2–5 Watford 12 December 1931
6 Tranmere Rovers 2–0 Bristol Rovers 12 December 1931
7 Fulham 0–0 Yeovil & Petter's United 12 December 1931
Replay Yeovil & Petter's United 2–5 Fulham 17 December 1931
8 Brentford 4–1 Norwich City 12 December 1931
9 Northampton Town 3–0 Southend United 12 December 1931
10 Brighton & Hove Albion 5–0 Doncaster Rovers 12 December 1931
11 Carlisle United 0–2 Darlington 12 December 1931
12 Scunthorpe United 1–4 Queens Park Rangers 12 December 1931
13 Cardiff City 4–0 Clapton Orient 12 December 1931
14 Burton Town 4–1 Gateshead 12 December 1931
15 Halifax Town 3–0 Accrington Stanley 12 December 1931
16 New Brighton Athletic 0–4 Hull City 12 December 1931
17 Aldershot Town 1–1 Crook Town 12 December 1931
Replay Crook Town 1–0 Aldershot Town 16 December 1931

Third round proper

The 44 First and Second Division clubs entered the competition at this stage, along with Third Division Southport and Exeter City. Also entered at this stage, to make up the numbers, were Corinthian, who were a famous amateur side. The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 9 January 1932. Twelve matches were drawn and went to replays in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Birmingham 1–0 Bradford City 9 January 1932
2 Blackpool 1–1 Newcastle United 9 January 1932
Replay Newcastle United 1–0 Blackpool 13 January 1932
3 Chesterfield 5–2 Nottingham Forest 9 January 1932
4 Darlington 1–1 Northampton Town 9 January 1932
Replay Northampton Town 2–0 Darlington 14 January 1932
5 Burnley 0–4 Derby County 9 January 1932
6 Bury 2–1 Swansea Town 9 January 1932
7 Preston North End 0–0 Bolton Wanderers 9 January 1932
Replay Bolton Wanderers 2–5 Preston North End 13 January 1932
8 Watford 1–1 Fulham 9 January 1932
Replay Fulham 0–3 Watford 14 January 1932
9 Leicester City 7–0 Crook Town 9 January 1932
10 Notts County 2–2 Bristol City 9 January 1932
Replay Bristol City 3–2 Notts County 13 January 1932
11 Grimsby Town 4–1 Exeter City 9 January 1932
12 Middlesbrough 1–1 Portsmouth 9 January 1932
Replay Portsmouth 3–0 Middlesbrough 13 January 1932
13 West Bromwich Albion 1–2 Aston Villa 9 January 1932
14 Sunderland 0–0 Southampton 9 January 1932
Replay Southampton 2–4 Sunderland 13 January 1932
15 Luton Town 1–2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 9 January 1932
16 Everton 1–2 Liverpool 9 January 1932
17 Sheffield United 2–1 Corinthian 9 January 1932
18 Tranmere Rovers 2–2 Chelsea 9 January 1932
Replay Chelsea 5–3 Tranmere Rovers 13 January 1932
19 Tottenham Hotspur 2–2 Sheffield Wednesday 9 January 1932
Replay Sheffield Wednesday 3–1 Tottenham Hotspur 13 January 1932
20 Queens Park Rangers 3–1 Leeds United 9 January 1932
21 Barnsley 0–0 Southport 9 January 1932
Replay Southport 4–1 Barnsley 12 January 1932
22 Brentford 2–0 Bath City 9 January 1932
23 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–2 Port Vale 9 January 1932
24 Plymouth Argyle 4–1 Manchester United 9 January 1932
25 Millwall 2–3 Manchester City 9 January 1932
26 Oldham Athletic 1–1 Huddersfield Town 9 January 1932
Replay Huddersfield Town 6–0 Oldham Athletic 13 January 1932
27 Bradford Park Avenue 2–0 Cardiff City 9 January 1932
28 Burton Town 0–4 Blackburn Rovers 9 January 1932
29 Halifax Town 1–3 Bournemouth 9 January 1932
30 Charlton Athletic 1–2 West Ham United 9 January 1932
31 Arsenal 11–1 Darwen 9 January 1932
32 Stoke City 3–0 Hull City 9 January 1932

Fourth round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 23 January 1932. Three games were drawn and went to replays in the following midweek fixture, of which two went to second replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chesterfield 2–4 Liverpool 23 January 1932
2 Bury 3–1 Sheffield United 23 January 1932
3 Preston North End 2–0 Wolverhampton Wanderers 23 January 1932
4 Watford 2–1 Bristol City 23 January 1932
5 Sheffield Wednesday 7–0 Bournemouth 23 January 1932
6 Grimsby Town 2–1 Birmingham 23 January 1932
7 Sunderland 1–1 Stoke City 23 January 1932
Replay Stoke City 1–1 Sunderland 28 January 1932
Replay Stoke City 2–1 Sunderland 1 February 1932
8 Derby County 3–2 Blackburn Rovers 23 January 1932
9 Newcastle United 1–1 Southport 23 January 1932
Replay Southport 1–1 Newcastle United 26 January 1932
Replay Newcastle United 9–0 Southport 1 February 1932
10 Manchester City 6–1 Brentford 23 January 1932
11 Portsmouth 1–1 Aston Villa 23 January 1932
Replay Aston Villa 0–1 Portsmouth 27 January 1932
12 Chelsea 3–1 West Ham United 23 January 1932
13 Bradford Park Avenue 4–2 Northampton Town 23 January 1932
14 Huddersfield Town 5–0 Queens Park Rangers 23 January 1932
15 Port Vale 1–2 Leicester City 23 January 1932
16 Arsenal 4–2 Plymouth Argyle 23 January 1932

Fifth round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 13 February 1932. There was one replay, between Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday, played in the next midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bury 3–0 Stoke City 13 February 1932
2 Liverpool 1–0 Grimsby Town 13 February 1932
3 Watford 1–0 Bradford Park Avenue 13 February 1932
4 Sheffield Wednesday 1–1 Chelsea 13 February 1932
Replay Chelsea 2–0 Sheffield Wednesday 17 February 1932
5 Newcastle United 3–1 Leicester City 13 February 1932
6 Manchester City 3–0 Derby County 13 February 1932
7 Portsmouth 0–2 Arsenal 13 February 1932
8 Huddersfield Town 4–0 Preston North End 13 February 1932

Sixth round proper

The four Sixth Round ties were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 27 February 1932. There were no replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bury 3–4 Manchester City 27 February 1932
2 Liverpool 0–2 Chelsea 27 February 1932
3 Newcastle United 5–0 Watford 27 February 1932
4 Huddersfield Town 0–1 Arsenal 27 February 1932


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 12 March 1932. Newcastle United and Arsenal won their matches to meet in the final at Wembley.

Newcastle United2–1Chelsea
Arsenal1–0Manchester City


The 1932 FA Cup Final was contested by Newcastle United and Arsenal at Wembley in what became known as the "Over The Line" final. Newcastle won 2–1, both of their goals scored by Jack Allen.

Match details

Newcastle United2 – 1Arsenal
Allen Goal 38'Goal 72' (Report) John Goal 15'
Newcastle United

See also


1931–32 Birmingham F.C. season

The 1931–32 Football League season was Birmingham Football Club's 36th in the Football League and their 19th in the First Division. They finished in ninth position in the 22-team division. They also competed in the 1931–32 FA Cup, entering at the third round proper and losing to Grimsby Town in the fourth.

Twenty-eight players made at least one appearance in nationally organised competition, and there were eleven different goalscorers. Half-back Lewis Stoker played in 41 of the 44 matches over the season, and, for the 11th successive year, Joe Bradford was leading scorer, with 28 goals, of which 26 came in the league.

1931–32 Southampton F.C. season

The 1931–32 season was the 37th season of competitive football by Southampton, and the club's tenth in the Second Division of the Football League. After finishing in the top half of the Second Division league table for the past three seasons, the Saints struggled to challenge in 1931–32 and ended up finishing in 14th place, closer to relegation than promotion. Southampton's first season with manager George Kay started strongly, as the team picked up four wins in their first five matches and reached the top of the Second Division league table for the first time in the club's history. Form quickly deteriorated, however, and the club was briefly involved in a fight for survival in the new year. After picking up a few more wins, Southampton secured their safety and finished in 14th place with 14 wins, 14 draws and 14 losses.

In the 1931–32 FA Cup, Southampton again travelled to Roker Park to face First Division side Sunderland in the third round. This time the Saints forced a replay at The Dell after a goalless draw, but lost 4–2 to face elimination at the first hurdle for the fifth season running. The club ended the season with the annual Rowland Hospital Cup and Hampshire Benevolent Cup matches against local rivals Portsmouth, which they drew and lost, respectively. The Saints also competed in the inaugural Hampshire Combination Cup in April, beating Portsmouth in the semi-final and losing to Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic in the final. Southampton played another four friendly matches during the campaign, beating sides from the Royal Air Force and the Southern Command, and losing to Exeter City and a side representing the Dutch FA.

Southampton used 34 different players during the 1931–32 season and had sixteen different goalscorers. Their top scorer was outside-left Johnny Arnold, who scored 20 goals in the Second Division and one in the Hampshire Combination Cup. Arthur Haddleton scored ten goals in the competition, followed by Arthur Wilson with seven league goals. Eleven players were signed by the club during the campaign, with eight released and sold to other clubs. The average attendance at The Dell during the 1931–32 season was 11,003. The highest attendance was 22,927 against Sunderland in the FA Cup third round replay. The highest league attendance was 22,353 against Chesterfield on 26 December 1931. The lowest attendance was 6,128 against Manchester United on 7 May 1931, in the final game of the Second Division season.

1932 FA Cup Final

The 1932 FA Cup Final was contested by Newcastle United and Arsenal at Wembley Stadium in what became known as the "Over The Line" final. Newcastle won 2–1, both of their goals scored by Jack Allen.

Arsenal had led 1–0 with a Bob John goal, but Newcastle's equaliser came after a long ball that had appeared to foul over the goal line, and was put back into action for a goal kick. Newcastle winger Jimmy Richardson crossed the ball back into the field and Jack Allen levelled the match for the Magpies. The referee ruled that the ball had not gone out of play, but photographic evidence later showed that the ball had crossed the line; the goal stood. Allen scored again in the second half to win the match 2–1.

A62 derby

The A62 derby is the name of a football derby that is given to matches played between Huddersfield Town and Oldham Athletic.The two clubs are separated by roughly 15 miles and are located close to the M62 motorway crossing the Pennines in the historic counties of Yorkshire and Lancashire respectively, making it a traditional 'War of the Roses' clash.

The first game between Huddersfield and Oldham was played in the First Division of English football during the 1920–21 season, although league meetings remained fairly rare until the 1980s. Therefore, there was little rivalry between the clubs until more recent times, with regular meetings in the decades since leading to increased significance and intensity in the fixture, particularly when both clubs spent a number of seasons vying for promotion from the third tier. Indeed, it took Oldham until 20 April 1974 to record their first victory over Huddersfield, an emphatic 6-0 scoreline at the tenth attempt that more significantly guaranteed the Latics promotion back to the Second Division.

The highest ever attendance involving the two clubs was set on 9 January 1932 when 30,607 watched a 1–1 draw at Oldham's Boundary Park in a third round FA Cup tie.

Alex James (footballer)

Alexander Wilson James (14 September 1901 – 1 June 1953) was a Scottish international footballer. He is mostly noted as a playmaking lynchpin at Arsenal with whom he won six trophies from 1930 to the 1936 season. James featured as a deep-lying creative midfielder who provided a link between defence and attack. He was famed for his high level of footballing intelligence, outstanding ball control and supreme passing.

James was described by Tom Finney as "an inspiration" and "pure magic" with his style of play eventually leading to comparisons with Dennis Bergkamp. His rheumatism meant he wore "baggy" shorts so as to conceal the long johns he put on for warmth. His baggy attire became his own trademark look displayed upon the field of play.

Charlie Jones (footballer, born 1899)

Charles "Charlie" Jones (12 December 1899 – April 1966) was a Welsh international footballer.

Born in Troedyrhiw, Merthyr Tydfil, Jones started his career at Cardiff City, but was released in the summer of 1921 after just one appearance, a 1–0 defeat to Stoke City. He joined Stockport County, and in his first season at the club (1921–22) won a Third Division North medal and promotion to the Second Division. He moved in March 1923 to First Division Oldham Athletic, but the club were relegated to the Second Division soon after he joined; Jones spent another two seasons with the Latics in the second flight, and then joined fellow Second Division side Nottingham Forest in the summer of 1925.

Jones steadily made a name for himself as a talented left winger with Forest, making over 100 appearances for them in three years. It was also while there that he picked up the first of his eight caps for Wales, excelling in a 3–1 victory over England at Selhurst Park on 1 March 1926. In addition, he went on to captain his country several times.

Jones was signed by Herbert Chapman for Arsenal in May 1928, and often played as one of the forwards as Chapman introduced the WM formation. He missed only three league games in 1929–30, although unfortunately for him he was not selected for the Gunners' 1930 FA Cup-winning side.However, Jones proved his versatility by moving to right half, and became known as a tenacious ballwinner and committed tackler in the Arsenal midfield. With Arsenal he won three First Division winners' medals (in 1930–31, 1932–33 and 1933–34), and played in the 1931–32 FA Cup final (which Arsenal lost controversially to Newcastle United). Towards the end of his career his age was starting to catch up with him, and competition for midfield places was fierce; with players such as Bob John and Frank Hill in the Arsenal squad, Jones only played 16 matches in 1932–33. However his knowledge of the game and tactical sense were still appreciated by Arsenal managers Herbert Chapman and Joe Shaw; this meant he was a regular in the 1933–34 season, at the end of which he retired from the game, at the age of 34. In all he played 195 games for Arsenal, scoring 8 goals.

Jones was manager of Notts County from May 1934 to December 1935.

David France Collection

The David France Collection is a collection of football memorabilia, consisting of more than 10,000 items related to the birth and development of Everton Football Club in Liverpool, England.

Harry Poulter

Harry Poulter (24 April 1910 – 25 February 1985) was an English footballer who played as a centre forward in the Football League for Exeter City. He played in the FA Cup for Sunderland, and was on the books of Hartlepools United without playing league football for them.

Jack Davies (football trainer)

John Henry Davies, known as Jack Davies, was employed by Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club as assistant trainer in 1920. In 1930 he was promoted to first team trainer where he served under Major Frank Buckley.

During his 16 years as first team trainer at Wolves, the club went from the Second Division to narrowly missing out on the First Division Championship title in the 1937- 38, 1938-39 seasons and were FA Cup runners up in 1939. Over this period Wolverhampton Wanderers became one of the best teams in England. Jack persuaded the Wolves board to keep a young Stan Cullis, who in later years as a manager reigned over the club’s most successful period. Jack also persuaded Major Buckley not to release Billy Wright, who the club had deemed too short in height to make the grade as a professional footballer. Billy Wright went on to win three Football League championships and the FA Cup, whilst amassing 105 international caps for England. In later years Jack worked at the club as the Central League trainer, youth team trainer and then finally dressing room attendant for the club, until 1978.

Career honours

Wolverhampton Wanderers

First Division

•Runners-up: 1937-38, 1938-39

Second Division

•Champions: 1931-32

FA Cup

•Runners-up: 1939

Football League War Cup (Northern)

•Winners: 1941-42

Central League

•Champions: 1950-51, 1951-52, 1952-53

FA Youth Cup

•Winner: 1958

•Runners-up:1953, 1954

Giller, Norman (2003) Billy Wright: A Hero for All Seasons, ISBN 1-86105-528-5 - page 22.

Jimmy Dunn (footballer, born 1900)

James Dunn (25 November 1900 – 20 August 1963) was a Scottish international footballer, most famous for being part of the 1928 Wembley Wizards team.

Jimmy Nelson (footballer)

James Nelson (7 January 1901 – 8 October 1965) was a Scottish professional footballer who played as a full-back for Cardiff City and Newcastle United in the 1920s and 1930s and was the right back in the Wembley Wizards Scotland side of 1928.

Radcliffe Olympic F.C.

Radcliffe Olympic F.C. is a football club based in Radcliffe-on-Trent, near Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England. The club are currently members of the Nottinghamshire Senior League Premier Division and play at the Recreation Ground.

Tommy White (footballer, born 1908)

Thomas Angus White (29 July 1908 – 13 August 1967) was an English footballer who started his career as a centre-forward before moving to centre-half, where he played for Everton in the 1933 FA Cup Final as well as making one appearance for England.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team
193132 in European football
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
International competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.