1927 FA Cup Final

The 1927 FA Cup Final was an association football match between Cardiff City and Arsenal on 23 April 1927 at the original Wembley Stadium (then called Empire Stadium). The showpiece match of English football's primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (better known as the FA Cup), it was the first such final to be broadcast on the radio. The victory by Cardiff marked the only occasion in the history of the tournament that the trophy had been won by a team outside England; the Cup had previously been referred to in the press as the "English Cup".

Each team had progressed through five rounds to reach the final, having each entered in the third round. Both teams required a single replay in different rounds to progress, but otherwise won each of their games. In the fifth round, Cardiff knocked the reigning champions, Bolton Wanderers out of the cup. Both teams had a mixture of home and away games on their route to the final, but Arsenal were not required to play outside London after the initial fourth round match. By the quarter-finals, the two teams were the only Football League Division One teams left in the competition.

Arsenal had injury problems with Horace Cope ruled out. Additional trains were put on to get Cardiff's fans to Wembley, and police reinforcements to keep fans at bay who had been sold fake tickets. A concert was held prior to the game, which included the first rendition of “Abide with Me”, which has since become a cup final tradition. It was the first FA Cup Final broadcast on the radio, which coined the phrase "back to square one". The match was watched by 91,206 in the stadium, and a further 15,000 fans listened in Cardiff's Cathays Park to the radio broadcast.

Both teams had opportunities to score, but the only goal of the game was credited to Hughie Ferguson after the ball slipped out of the hands of goalkeeper Dan Lewis, and he knocked the ball into the net with his elbow. Afterwards, he blamed his new wool jersey, saying that it was greasy. This resulted in the Arsenal tradition of washing goalkeeper jerseys before every match. Following the match, the press called it the "Singing Final" and highlighted that the FA Cup had gone to Wales for the first time. In the following years, Cardiff suffered a decline in their fortunes and didn't reach the FA Cup final again until 2008. Arsenal won the trophy in 1930.

1927 FA Cup Final
FA Cup Final 1927 Programme
Event1926–27 FA Cup
Cardiff City Arsenal
Wales England
1 0
Date23 April 1927
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeW. F. Bunnell (Lancashire)

Route to the Final

Cardiff City

Round Opposition Score Venue Ref
3rd Aston Villa 2–1 Ninian Park (h) [1]
4th Darlington 2–0 Feethams (a) [2]
5th Bolton Wanderers 2–0 Burnden Park (a) [3]
Quarter-final Chelsea 0–0 Stamford Bridge (a) [4]
Quarter-final (replay) Chelsea 3–2 Ninian Park (h) [5]
Semi-final Reading 3–0 Molineux Stadium (n) [6]

Cardiff City began their campaign for the 1926–27 FA Cup with a home game at Ninian Park in front of around 30,000 fans against Aston Villa. After a goalless first half, Cardiff scored twice via a header by Len Davies and a shot by Ernie Curtis. Aston Villa attempted to save the match, but were unable to score until goalkeeper Tom Farquharson scored an own goal after turning in a shot by Villa forward Arthur Dorrell.[1] In the fourth round, Cardiff played Darlington away. Newspaper reports indicated that they were the better team, but had it not been for the success of Darlington's defence then they would have won by greater than the two goal margin they achieved.[2] Goals came from George McLachlan and Hughie Ferguson.[7]

In the fifth round, Cardiff were drawn away against Bolton Wanderers, the reigning FA Cup champions.[8] In front of a crowd of 49,465 in Bolton, Cardiff won by two goals to nil, with further goals from Ferguson and Davies. Following this round, alongside Arsenal, they were one of only two teams from the Football League First Division who remained in the competition.[3] After an initial goalless draw in the following round against Chelsea, Cardiff played them once again at Ninian Park in the replay. Sam Irving put the Welsh team ahead after nine minutes, before Davies made it two on 21 minutes. Chelsea received a penalty, but the shot by Andrew Wilson was saved by Farquharson. Albert Thain scored for Chelsea a minute before half time.[4] Bob Turnbull equalised for Chelsea, four minutes into the second half. A further penalty was given, this time to Cardiff after Harry Wilding handled the ball. This time, Ferguson scored, putting Cardiff ahead once more and winning them the match.[5]

In the semi-finals Cardiff were drawn against Reading; the match was played at Molineux Stadium. Reading had reached the semi-final for the first time in their history. Additional trains were put on to bring Cardiff fans to Wolverhampton for the match, and there was an expectation that the game would set a new capacity record for the ground. Heavy rain had fallen before the match, resulting in a soft pitch. Reading appeared the stronger of the two teams at the start, but at 25 minutes Bert Eggo failed to clear the ball from the Reading penalty area and Ferguson pounced, scoring for Cardiff. This changed the match, which from then on was dominated by the Welsh. A further goal followed in the 35th minute from Harry Wake, sending Cardiff into half time two goals ahead. Reading pressed on initially during the second half, but Cardiff gradually regained domination of play, and Ferguson scored his second of the game in the 70th minute. Cardiff's fans began to celebrate early, believing that Reading could not come back from three goals down, which was the final result of the game.[6]


Round Opposition Score Venue Ref
3rd Sheffield United 3–2 Bramall Lane (a) [9]
4th Port Vale 2–2 Old Recreation Ground (a) [10]
4th (replay) Port Vale 1–0 Arsenal Stadium (h) [11]
5th Liverpool 2–0 Arsenal Stadium (h) [12]
Quarter-final Wolverhampton Wanderers 2–1 Arsenal Stadium (h) [13]
Semi-final Southampton 2–1 Stamford Bridge (n) [14]

Arsenal were drawn away in the third round, against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane.[15] Both teams scored rapidly, with three goals scored in the space of six minutes. The first as the result of a scramble which ended with Jimmy Brain heading the ball into the net for Arsenal. United quickly responded, equalising from a header by Harry Johnson. But Arsenal went ahead once more following a goal by Charlie Buchan. David Mercer equalised once more for Sheffield after 40 minutes, to keep the scores level going into half-time. Joe Hulme scored the final goal of the match, and the winner for Arsenal, in the 60th minute.[9]

Arsenal were nearly eliminated from the competition in the following round when they played Port Vale. After eight minutes, Tom Parker scored an own goal, putting Port Vale ahead. Buchan equalised for Arsenal early in the second half, but then Port Vale went ahead once more with a goal by Wilf Kirkham, as a rebounded shot after Dan Lewis saved the initial penalty. Arsenal chased a further equaliser, which came four minutes from time by Brain.[10]

There were far less goals scored in the replay at Arsenal Stadium. After a snow flurry, the ground was left muddy and the play was mostly limited to long balls. Brain hit the post in the first half, with was then followed by the only goal of the game came shortly afterwards following a run by Buchan into the Port Vale box.[11] From here on, Arsenal did not have to leave London at all in the competition. In the following round, they defeated Liverpool by two goals to nil, the same scoreline seen in the league earlier in the season. This was Liverpool's first defeat of the year. Both the goals came as a result of indirect free kicks in rapid succession. First a header by Brain, then another by Buchan which the goalkeeper could only clear after it had crossed the line.[12]

In the quarter final against Wolverhampton Wanderers, Arsenal initially went down by a goal but an equaliser was gained after a further 15 minutes by Billy Blyth. Both teams had good attacks on goal throughout the rest of the game, but the only further goal came following a header by Joe Hulme for Arsenal after a run and a cross from Jack Butler.[13] The draw for the semi-final saw Arsenal play Southampton at Stamford Bridge. The muddy state of the pitch hampered the normal pace of the play shown by Arsenal,[16] but both Buchan and Hulme scored for the gunners to Southampton's single response by Bill Rawlings.[14] Southampton were denied two penalty appeals.[17]


Harrow on the Hill, The former King's Head public house - geograph.org.uk - 1654545
The former Kings Head Hotel in Harrow on the Hill in 2007, where the Cardiff City team spent their evening before the final.

Cardiff City had previously reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup twice, and two years earlier in 1925, they were defeated finalists.[18] The 1927 final was the first for Arsenal, so as a result whoever won the match would take the trophy for the first time.[14] Arsenal manager Herbert Chapman held a press conference prior to the final on 21 April, where he announced that Horace Cope was injured and would be unable to play at left back. He doubted whether Syd Hoar or Alf Baker would be available as both of those were still recovering, and so he was leaving the selections for both the right half and outside left positions open should they become fit before the game. He saw Bill Seddon and Sam Haden as the alternatives should his first choice players not recover. When asked about who would win the game, he promised the press an answer after the match.[19] In the end, both Baker and Hoar were named to the Arsenal team.[20] The Arsenal team trained in Highbury on their own pitch prior to the final.[21]

Cardiff City prepared for the final at Southport, Lancashire, at the Palace Hotel. The players kept relaxed with massages, games of bowls and salt baths. On the day before the match travelled to Harrow on the Hill where they stayed at the Kings Head Hotel.[21] They were open with the press about their tactics, saying they hoped to subdue Arsenal's attack by having Billy Hardy keep Buchan at bay. Cardiff were free to choose their first choice team, unhindered by injuries. They selected the same team as had featured against Reading in the semi-final, with the exception of Harry Wake, despite his experience from playing in the FA Cup final two seasons prior.[19]

Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David Lloyd George, as well as future Prime Minister Winston Churchill were in attendance for the match.[22] The press billed the match as England versus Wales, and noted that the Welsh fans included high numbers of women as well as mothers with babies. There were special trains laid on for the Cardiff fans, which began arriving at Paddington train station from 4 am onwards.[20] The Metropolitan Railway put on additional trains to commute fans from Baker Street station to Wembley Park; one every two minutes. Between 11 am to kick off, 30,000 fans per hour travelled this route;[19] some 100,000 fans were expected to arrive at the ground.[23] The Welsh fans made special excursions across London; some travelled to St. Paul's Cathedral, where they sang Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. Other fans went to The Cenotaph, Whitehall, where they dressed it in Welsh colours to honour the veterans of the First World War.[19]

As the Cardiff team bus arrived at the stadium, the fans threw leeks at the vehicle. The team had adopted a black cat for the occasion, which Ferguson had found wandering astray prior to their earlier match with Bolton and decided it was a good omen. He found the owners of the animal, who agreed to let the club keep the cat in return for two final tickets if they progressed that far.[22] Police reinforcements were required at Empire Stadium, as at 1 pm a large number of people had gathered outside the ticket office in a threatening manner. A large number of fake tickets had been sold to members of the crowd, and the stewards were refusing to allow them entry.[20]

A community concert began inside stadium at 1:50 pm,[20] led by the bands of the Grenadier and Irish Guards.[24] Songs included “Abide with Me”, performed at an FA Cup final for the first time, but would go on to become a pre-match tradition.[25] Loud cheers were heard forty minutes later during the concert to celebrate the arrival of King George V. As the players entered the field, the King shook hands with each of them, as well as the officials; the referee W.E. Bunnell from Preston, and the linesmen G.E. Watson from Kent and M. Brewitt from Lincoln.[20] The match was the first cup final to be broadcast on the radio by the BBC, as well as nearly 93,000 fans inside the stadium. The phrase "back to square one" was created during the broadcast; square one in this context is an area nearest to one of the goals.[22]


Keenor won the coin toss for Cardiff City, and so Ferguson kicked off the match. Shortly afterwards Arsenal won a free kick and the ball went into Cardiff's penalty area for the first time but Tom Watson cleared it for Cardiff. Irving went on a run on the right side of the pitch, but Arsenal defender Andy Kennedy stopped the play. Arsenal went on the attack again, with Sloan dodging several tackles but a pass to Hoar caused the chance to break down as he had moved offside. A direct free kick was given to Arsenal shortly afterwards, but the shot by Parker from 25 yards (23 m) was saved by Farquharson for Cardiff.[20] Combined play by Hulme and Buchan led to a corner, which then forced another three in a rapid succession. However, Arsenal couldn't capitalise on the opportunities and the final corner ended in the ball being shot a distance over the bar. The first half ended, Arsenal having dominated but the Cardiff City defence had stopped them each time.[26] There was an incident in the crowd during the first half, at the 25th minute around 400 spectators outside the stadium rushed a gate being manned by four policemen. Reinforcements arrived and managed to push the crowd back when they reached the turnstiles.[27]

Arsenal again went on the attack as the second half began, with another corner won following a header by Buchan. Hulme drifted in a well placed cross, but nothing was made of it. It was then Cardiff's turn to attack. Curtis sent in a low shot which was saved by Lewis in the Arsenal goal. Shortly afterwards, Butler, the Arsenal midfielder, was struck hard in the face by the ball causing a brief delay to play. The game resumed, and McLachlan took it down the wing for Cardiff, who passed it to Davies, but his shot was just wide of the post. Buchan attempted to return the game to Arsenal's tempo, with a long pass to the left wing for Hoar, but Cardiff City's James Nelson had him covered. City's attacking continued, and a chance was had by Hardy which appeared to shake Lewis in goal as the keeper didn't gather the ball cleanly.[26]

The only goal of the game followed shortly thereafter. Curtis went on a run for Cardiff, who passed it forward near the box to Ferguson. He shot the ball towards the goal, but it had little power and was easily picked up by Lewis. However, as he did so, the ball squirmed out of Lewis' hands and slipped in between the crook of his left elbow and body. With a couple of Cardiff City forwards closing in, Lewis tried to reclaim the ball but only succeeded in knocking it into the net with his elbow. Arsenal sought to attack immediately after the kick off, but despite it looking promising, Brain was caught offside. Cardiff countered, and possibly could have had a second goal, but Curtis chose to shoot himself rather than pass to Davies, who would have been presented with an open goal had he received the ball as Lewis was out of position. The match ended with a victory for Cardiff City by one goal to nil.[26] The King presented the trophy to Cardiff's captain Keenor, and medals to each of the players from both teams.[24]

Match details

Cardiff City Wales1–0England Arsenal
Ferguson Goal 74'
Cardiff City
GK Republic of Ireland Tom Farquharson
DF Scotland James Nelson
DF Northern Ireland Tom Watson
DF Wales Fred Keenor (c)
MF Northern Ireland Tom Sloan
MF England Billy Hardy
MF Wales Ernie Curtis
FW Northern Ireland Sam Irving
FW Scotland Hughie Ferguson
FR Wales Len Davies
FL Scotland George McLachlan
England Fred Stewart
GK Wales Dan Lewis
DF England Tom Parker
DF Northern Ireland Andy Kennedy
MF England Alf Baker
MF England Jack Butler
MF Wales Bob John
FW England Joe Hulme
FW England Charles Buchan (c)
FW England Jimmy Brain
FR Scotland Billy Blyth
FL England Sid Hoar
England Herbert Chapman


Post match

The Cardiff City victory in the 1927 FA Cup Final remains the only time that the trophy has been won by a team outside England.[22] At the time it had been referred to as the "English Cup".[28] This was a highlight of the coverage in the press afterwards, as was the volume of singing that took place during the proceedings. The article in the Hull Daily Mail even went as far as to suggest that the match would be remembered for the singing specifically, calling it the "Singing Final".[29] There was an open air radio broadcast of the match in Cathays Park attended by 15,000 fans, and after the victory the team's colours were strung throughout the city, and local shopkeepers made replicas of the trophy out of butter to display in shop windows.[30] After the match, the Cardiff team headed to a hotel in Bloomsbury before heading to Windsor and Eton College on the following day. They toured the College, and some of the players visited Windsor Castle. They headed back to Cardiff later that day from Paddington station,[31] where they arrived at 6:35 pm. They were met by motor coaches and a band, and driven to the City Hall.[30] Some 150,000 fans lined the streets of Cardiff to welcome the team back home.[32] After leading some communal singing outside the City Hall, the team and their wives later attended a dinner and dance in the building. While some press reports claimed that Keenor had said that the team were lucky to have won, he refuted the claim, saying that the superiority of Cardiff's defence that led them to victory.[33]

Lewis blamed a new jersey for the mistake that resulted in the goal, saying that the wool was greasy and allowed the ball to slip from his grip. As tradition ever since, Arsenal goalkeepers have always washed their jerseys before each game.[22] The Arsenal captain, Buchan, praised the Cardiff team saying "My congratulations to Cardiff City on being the first club in history to take the Cup out of England. We did our very utmost to prevent them from doing so, but we did not succeed. As, however, the trophy is gone to Cardiff, there is no one who more heartily congratualtes them than the captain of the losers. Cardiff played an honest, clean game, each member of the team obviously striving to do his utmost and my final works are Good luck to the City and good luck to Wales and its Association football now that they have the Cup."[34]

Cardiff qualified for 1927 FA Charity Shield, where they defeated amateur team Corinthian by two goals to one with the winning goal once again by Ferguson.[22] They also adopted triangular corner flags to commemorate the win.[35] Their fortunes subsequently declined occurred quickly afterwards. Within four years, they had been relegated to the Football League Third Division South. Keenor remained captain during this period, and left the club after 19 years to transfer to Crewe Alexandra F.C. during the 1930–31 football season.[18] In 1934, Cardiff slipped further and were required to petition the Football Association to allow them to remain in the league after they finished last and were eligible to be removed from the competition.[22] Cardiff's Ernie Curtis, who died in November 1992 at the age of 85, was the last surviving player from the final. He had been the youngest player in the match, aged 19 years and 317 days. Cardiff reached the FA Cup Final once more in 2008 FA Cup Final;[36] where they lost by one goal to nil against Portsmouth.[37]

Arsenal returned to the FA Cup Final in 1930, where they played Huddersfield Town, the former team of Arsenal's manager Herbert Chapman. They won the match by two goals to nil, marking the first major trophy to be won by the team.[38] This began a period of success for the club, with two back to back league titles, first under Chapman and then under George Allison after Chapman's death. A further victory in the FA Cup followed in 1936 against Sheffield United.[39]


  1. ^ a b "Cardiff City Much Better Than Aston Villa". Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer (24805). 10 January 1927. p. 4. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  2. ^ a b "Cup-Tie Progress". Western Daily Press. 138 (23404). 31 January 1927. p. 4. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  3. ^ a b "Fifth Round of the Cup". Western Morning News (20878). 21 February 1927. p. 10. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  4. ^ a b "Cardiff City v. Chelsea". Dundee Evening Telegraph (15688). 9 March 1927. p. 5. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  5. ^ a b "Penalty Decides at Cardiff". Dundee Courier (23014). 10 March 1927. p. 6. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  6. ^ a b "Cardiff City V. Reading". Gloucestershire Echo. 26 March 1927. p. 6. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  7. ^ "Saturday's Results". Exeter and Plymouth Gazette. CLV (25161). 31 January 1927. p. 3. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  8. ^ "Thrilling Cup Ties". Western Daily Press. 138 (23422). 21 February 1927. p. 9. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  9. ^ a b "Spoils Go To The Better Team". Sheffield Independent (22547). 10 January 1927. p. 8. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  10. ^ a b "Cup-Tie Stories". Sheffield Independent (22565). 31 January 1927. p. 8. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  11. ^ a b "Arsenal v. Port Vale". Yorkshire Evening Post (11344). 2 February 1927. p. 10. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  12. ^ a b "History Repeated at Highbury". Sheffield Independent (22583). 21 February 1927. p. 8. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  13. ^ a b "Past Cup-Winners Disapear". Sheffield Independent (22595). 7 March 1927. p. 10. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  14. ^ a b c "The Cup Finalists". Western Daily Press. 138 (23452). 28 March 1927. p. 4. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  15. ^ "Arsenal in Doubt". Sheffield Independent (22544). 6 January 1927. p. 9. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  16. ^ "The F.A. Cup". Hull Daily Mail (12940). 28 March 1927. p. 2. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  17. ^ Bull & Brunskell (2000): pp. 48–49
  18. ^ a b Hayes (2003): pp. 15–16
  19. ^ a b c d "Arsenal's Cup Team". Western Daily Press. 138 (23473). 22 April 1927. p. 3. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  20. ^ a b c d e f "Cup Final". Derby Daily Telegraph. 23 April 1927. p. 8. Retrieved 5 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  21. ^ a b Duffy, Steve (12 May 2008). "Steam trains, salt baths for Cup". BBC News. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
  22. ^ a b c d e f g Shuttleworth, Peter (4 January 2009). "Cup friends reunited". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
  23. ^ "The F.A. Cup". Exeter and Plymouth Gazette. CLV (25228). 20 April 1927. p. 4. Retrieved 6 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  24. ^ a b "King Sees The Cup Final". Northern Whig (37021). 25 April 1927. p. 6. Retrieved 6 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  25. ^ "Cup final competition for fans". Reading FC. 26 January 2015. Archived from the original on 29 January 2015. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
  26. ^ a b c d "The Association Cup". Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer (24894). 25 April 1927. p. 3. Retrieved 6 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  27. ^ "Cardiff Victory". Aberdeen Journal (1367). 25 April 1927. p. 7. Retrieved 6 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  28. ^ Dermody, Nick (6 April 2008). "Manager hero of 1927 FA Cup win" (BBC News). Retrieved 6 April 2016.
  29. ^ "The Singing Cup Final". Hull Daily Mail (12963). 25 April 1927. p. 4. Retrieved 6 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  30. ^ a b "Cardiff to Have a Great Home-Coming". Sheffield Independent (22636). 25 April 1927. p. 5. Retrieved 6 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  31. ^ "Scenes at English Cup Final". Dundee Courier (23053). 25 April 1927. p. 5. Retrieved 6 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  32. ^ "Cup Winners Mobbed". Western Morning News (20932). 26 April 1927. p. 7. Retrieved 6 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  33. ^ "From the archive, 26 April 1927: Cardiff gives rapturous welcome to FA Cup winners". The Guardian. 26 April 2013. Archived from the original on 16 March 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
  34. ^ "How We Lost". Sheffield Independent (22636). 25 April 1927. p. 8. Retrieved 6 April 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
  35. ^ https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/sports/soccer/corner-flags-english-premier-league-champion.html
  36. ^ "Son of 1927 hero backs Bluebirds". BBC News. 14 May 2008. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
  37. ^ "Cardiff fall at last FA Cup fence". BBC News. 17 May 2008. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
  38. ^ "The 1930 final - how Arsenal won the cup". Arsenal FC. 24 January 2014. Archived from the original on 4 August 2015. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
  39. ^ "Herbert Chapman - Overview". Arsenal FC. 16 December 2008. Archived from the original on 7 February 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2016.


  • Bull, David; Brunskell, Bob (2000). Match of the Millennium. Hagiology Publishing. pp. 48–49. ISBN 0-9534474-1-3.
  • Hayes, Dean (2003). Welsh Football Heroes. Talybont, Ceredigion: Y Lolfa. ISBN 978-0-86243-653-7.

External links

1926–27 FA Cup

The 1926–27 FA Cup was the 52nd staging of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Welsh club Cardiff City won the competition for the first time, beating Arsenal 1–0 in the final at Wembley. As of 2017, it was the only FA Cup title won by either the club, the country, or any country outside England.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1926–27 in English football

The 1926–27 season was the 52nd season of competitive football in England.

Abide with Me

"Abide with Me" is a Christian hymn by Scottish Anglican Henry Francis Lyte most often sung to English composer William Henry Monk's tune entitled "Eventide". Written in Crossabeg, Wexford, Ireland in Artramon House.

Lyte wrote the poem in 1847 and set it to music while he lay dying from tuberculosis; he survived only a further three weeks after its completion.

Bill Seddon

William Charles "Bill" Seddon (28 July 1901 — January 1993) was an English footballer.

Billy Blyth

William Naismith Blyth (17 June 1895 – 1 July 1968), generally known as Billy Blyth, was a Scottish footballer.

Born in Dalkeith, Midlothian, Blyth played as a schoolboy for local junior side Wemyss Athletic. He was briefly on the books of Manchester City before signing for Arsenal in May 1914. He quickly made his debut for the Gunners, in a Second Division against Huddersfield Town on 21 November 1914, a game that Arsenal lost 3–0. Blyth made 12 appearances in 1914–15 but by then the First World War had broken out, and Blyth duly joined the Royal Army Service Corps, serving in France.Upon the end of hostilities and the resumption of football in 1919, Blyth returned to Arsenal and immediately became a regular in the newly promoted side. An energetic "midfield dynamo", Blyth usually figured on the left of midfield, as a left half or inside left. He became a mainstay in the side, with over 300 league games in 10 seasons, and became club captain in 1925. He also played in the 1927 FA Cup Final, Arsenal's first cup final, which they lost 1–0 to Cardiff City. In total, he played 343 matches for Arsenal, scoring 51 goals.

He moved to Birmingham in May 1929, playing his last first-team game in September 1930 before retiring at the end of the 1930–31 season. Blyth also starred in one of the first football-related films, the 1930 production The Great Game. After retiring, Blyth moved back to Scotland, and ran a pub in Port Seton. He died in Worthing, West Sussex, England, in 1968 at the age of 73.

Billy Hardy (footballer)

William Hardy (18 April 1891 – March 1981) was an English footballer probably most famous for playing in the 1927 FA Cup Final for Cardiff City

Dan Lewis (footballer)

Daniel "Dan" Lewis (11 December 1902 – 1965) was a Welsh football goalkeeper, who is most notable for his time playing for Arsenal. He kept goal for Arsenal in the 1927 FA Cup Final where a mistake by him saw Cardiff City win the cup.

Ernie Curtis

Ernest Robert "Ernie" Curtis (10 June 1907 – November 1992) was a Welsh professional footballer. During his career he made over 250 appearances in The Football League and was the youngest ever winner of the FA Cup to that date when he played in the 1927 FA Cup Final for Cardiff City aged 19 years and 317 days.

Fred Keenor

Frederick Charles Keenor (31 July 1894 – 19 October 1972) was a Welsh professional footballer. He began his career at his hometown side Cardiff City after impressing the club's coaching staff in a trial match in 1912 organised by his former schoolteacher. A hard-tackling defender, he appeared sporadically for the team in the Southern Football League before his spell at the club was interrupted by the outbreak of the First World War. Keenor served in the 17th (Service) Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, led by Major Frank Buckley, which became known as the Football Battalion. He fought in the Battle of the Somme, suffering a severe shrapnel wound to his thigh in 1916. He returned to Britain and after a lengthy rehabilitation he ended the war as a physical training instructor, reaching the rank of sergeant. He also appeared as a guest player for Brentford during the war.

Overcoming doubts about the possibility of playing again, Keenor returned to the game with Cardiff as they embarked on the most successful period in their history. They won promotion to the First Division one season after joining the Football League in 1920. Keenor helped the club to the 1925 FA Cup Final, when Cardiff suffered a 1–0 defeat to Sheffield United. In 1926, he replaced the departing Jimmy Blair as club captain, leading the team to success in the 1927 FA Cup Final later in the season, in which they defeated Arsenal 1–0. Their triumph remains the only time the competition has been won by a team based outside England.

Keenor was released by Cardiff at the end of the 1930–31 season, which saw the club relegated to the Third Division South. During his time at Cardiff, he made more than 500 appearances for the club, winning four Welsh Cup titles, the FA Cup and the FA Charity Shield in a 19-year association with the side. He is regarded as one of the club's all-time greats. A statue of Keenor, lifting the FA Cup, was erected outside Cardiff's new ground, the Cardiff City Stadium, in November 2012 following a public fundraising campaign.

Keenor finished his career with spells at Crewe Alexandra, Oswestry Town and Tunbridge Wells Rangers. During his career, he also attained 32 caps for the Wales national football team. He helped the side win the British Home Championship three times, in 1920, 1924 and 1928, and captained the side on numerous occasions, scoring two goals. Following his death in 1972, the Football Association of Wales secretary Trevor Morris commented, "Fred Keenor will go down as one of the greatest players and greatest characters ever produced by Wales".

George McLachlan

George Hardie McLachlan (21 September 1902 - unknown) was an FA Cup-winning Scottish footballer and manager. He was born in Glasgow and played as an outside left or at wing half.

Horace Cope

Horace Cope (24 May 1899 – 4 October 1961) was an English footballer who played at left back.Cope spent six years at Arsenal after joining from Notts County for £3,125 in December 1926. He was a regular in his first two-and-a-half seasons at the club. In total he made 76 starts at Arsenal, but missed the club’s 1927 FA Cup Final defeat to Cardiff through injury after playing most of the season. He joined Bristol Rovers for £1,500 in July 1933.

Hughie Ferguson

Hugh "Hughie" Ferguson (2 March 1895 – 8 January 1930) was a Scottish footballer. One of only seven men in the history of the English and Scottish Football Leagues to have scored 350 League goals, he began his career at Motherwell and established himself as a consistent scorer, finishing as the top goalscorer in the Scottish Football League on three occasions between 1918 and 1921. His 284 league goals remains a record at the club.

In 1925, he moved to Football League First Division side Cardiff City and continued his scoring exploits, including scoring the winning goals in the 1927 FA Cup Final, in a 1–0 victory over Arsenal, and the 1927 FA Charity Shield, in a 2–1 victory over amateur side Corinthians, making Cardiff the only non-English team to have ever won the FA Cup or the FA Charity Shield. Despite his prolific scoring record, finishing his career with a goal average of 0.855 per game, he was never capped for Scotland. He finished his career with a short spell with Dundee which ended when he committed suicide on 8 January 1930 at the age of 34.

List of Cardiff City F.C. managers

Cardiff City Football Club is a professional Association football club based in Cardiff, Wales. The club was founded in 1899 as Riverside A.F.C. by members of a local cricket team. The team played in Welsh amateur leagues until turning professional in 1910 and joining the Southern Football League. Ten years later, Cardiff were elected into The Football League.

The team was initially selected by a committee made up of the club's board members. Davy McDougall was the first manager in the club's history, being appointed in 1910 for the team's inaugural season in the Southern Football League. He was replaced after one season by Fred Stewart who oversaw the club's entry into The Football League and promotion to the First Division. Stewart also led the side to victories in the 1927 FA Cup Final and 1927 FA Charity Shield before stepping down in 1933. Billy McCandless was the first Cardiff manager to win a league title when he led his side to first place in the 1946–47 Third Division South.

In the 1960s, Cardiff entered European competition for the first time and manager Jimmy Scoular led the team to the semi-final of the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup in 1968. The club experienced a downturn in fortunes in the late 1970s and 1980s, culminating in relegation to the Fourth Division under Alan Durban. A gradual improvement in the 1990s included both Frank Burrows and Eddie May achieving promotions during their tenures. Financial investment after 2000 saw the club reach the First Division under Lennie Lawrence before returning to the top tier of English football, the Premier League, for the first time in 52 years under Malky Mackay in 2012.

As of May 2019, there has been a total of 34 managers and 7 caretaker managers. Kenny Hibbitt has had the most spells at the club, taking the job on three occasions. Three managers, Len Ashurst, Eddie May, Cyril Spiers, have taken the job on two occasions. The longest serving and most successful manager is Fred Stewart who was in charge for 22 years, won seven cups and achieved promotion twice. Neil Warnock is the current manager, having succeeded Paul Trollope in 2017.

List of Cardiff City F.C. players (25–99 appearances)

Cardiff City Football Club is a professional association football club based in Cardiff, Wales. The club was founded in 1899 as Riverside A.F.C., by members of a local cricket club, joining the Cardiff & District League the following year. In 1907, the side joined the South Wales Amateur League and changed its name to Cardiff City, later entering the English football league system by joining the Southern Football League in 1910, before being elected into the Football League in 1920. As of the end of the 2017–18 season, the club has won three division titles in the Football League, won promotion on 12 occasions and been relegated 12 times. The club has also achieved some success in domestic cup competitions, winning the FA Cup in 1927, reaching the final on two other occasions, reaching the of the 2012 League Cup final and winning the Welsh Cup on 22 occasions.All players who have played between 25 and 99 first-team matches for the club, either as a member of the starting eleven or as a substitute, are listed below. Each player's details include the duration of his career with Cardiff, his typical playing position while with the club, and the number of matches played and goals scored in all senior competitive matches.

No player has finished his Cardiff career on 99 appearances, Patrick Cassidy and Tom Sloan both reached 98 appearances before leaving the club. Sloan is one of three players who played between 25 and 99 games who appeared in the club's 1927 FA Cup Final winning team, the others being Ernie Curtis and Sam Irving. Two players, Davy McDougall and Richie Morgan, went on to manage the team. McDougall was appointed as the club's first manager in 1910 and remained in the role until the following year. Morgan managed the side between 1978 and 1981 before moving into another role at the club. Despite only appearing in 25 matches for Cardiff, Robin Friday is regarded as one of the most notable cult heroes in the club's history due to his performances and his personality. Stan Richards set a club record for the most league goals in a single season with 30 in 1946–47 as the team won promotion from the Third Division South, which stood for 56 years until it was beaten by Robert Earnshaw.In more recent years, notable players with between 25 and 99 appearances for the club include Andy Campbell, who scored the winning goal in the 2003 Football League Second Division play-off Final, and Chilean midfielder Gary Medel, who set club transfer fee records on both his arrival in 2013 and his departure the following year. Aaron Ramsey, who spent two spells with the club, remains the youngest player ever to play for the club after making his debut at the age of 16 years and 123 days.As of May 2019, 13 players listed here are still with the club, so have the opportunity to add to their totals.

Reg Tricker

Reginald William Tricker (5 October 1904 – 1990) was an English footballer.

Sam Irving

Samuel Johnstone Irving (28 August 1893 – 12 December 1968) was an Irish footballer and manager. He played in The Football League for Bristol City, Cardiff City, Chelsea and Bristol Rovers, and for Dundee in the Scottish Football League. He won the FA Cup, Welsh Cup and Charity Shield with Cardiff in 1927. At international level, Irving made 18 appearances for Ireland. After retiring as a player, he was co-manager of Dundee United.

Tom Sloan (footballer, born 1900)

Thomas Milne "Tom" Sloan (born 11 September 1900, date of death 1973) was an Irish international footballer. A midfielder, he appeared for Cardiff City in the 1927 FA Cup Final. He was born in Portadown.

Sloan joined Cardiff in during the 1924-25 season from Linfield, having previously played for Crusaders. He went on to make ninety appearances in all competitions before leaving the club, along with fellow FA Cup winner Tom Watson, to join Linfield in 1929.It was at Linfield that Sloan and Watson helped the side win the Irish Cup and completed a remarkable treble of winning the major cup in three countries after already having won the FA Cup and the Welsh Cup.

He went on to manage Portadown.

Tom Watson (footballer, born 1900)

Thomas Houston "Tom" Watson (4 October 1900 – 1978) was an Irish international footballer. A defender, he appeared for Cardiff City in the 1927 FA Cup Final.

Triangular corner flags in English football

The use of triangular corner flags in English football is a regular occurrence based upon traditional achievements. Tradition holds that only clubs that have won the FA Cup have the right to use triangular corner flags rather than the regular square ones. However this tradition has no basis in The Football Association's (FA) regulations and clubs are free to decide what shape of flags they use.

Qualifying rounds
Arsenal F.C. matches
FA Cup Finals
Football League War Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Community Shields
UEFA Champions League Final
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Finals
UEFA Europa League Finals
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Final
European Super Cup
Other matches
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Final
FA Charity Shield
Football League play-off Finals
Welsh Cup Finals
FAW Premier Cup Final
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.