1922–23 FA Cup

The 1922–23 FA Cup was the 48th season of the world's oldest association football competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (more usually known as the FA Cup). Bolton Wanderers won the competition, beating West Ham United 2–0 in the first final to be held at Wembley Stadium, London.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held at neutral venues until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1922–23 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsHuddersfield Town
ChampionsBolton Wanderers
(1st title)
Runners-upWest Ham United


The format of the FA Cup for the season had two preliminary rounds, six qualifying rounds, four proper rounds, and the semi finals and final.

Round Date
Extra Preliminary Round Saturday 9 September 1922
Preliminary Round Saturday 23 September 1922
First Round Qualifying Saturday 7 October 1922
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 21 October 1922
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 4 November 1922
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 18 November 1922
Fifth Round Qualifying Saturday 2 December 1922
Sixth Round Qualifying Saturday 16 December 1922
First Round Proper Saturday 13 January 1923
Second Round Proper Saturday 3 February 1923
Third Round Proper Saturday 24 February 1923
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 10 March 1923
Semi-Finals Saturday 24 March 1923
Final Saturday 28 April 1923

First round proper

41 of the 44 clubs from the Football League First Division and Football League Second Division joined the 12 lower-league clubs who came through the qualifying rounds. Three Second Division sides, Port Vale, Stockport County and Coventry City, were entered at the fifth qualifying round, with nine of the Third Division North sides (Accrington Stanley, Ashington, Darlington, Grimsby Town, Hartlepools United, Southport, Stalybridge Celtic, Walsall and Wrexham) and Third Division South teams except Exeter City and Southend United, who were entered in the fourth qualifying round along with the rest of Division 3 North. All three sides lost in their first game. Amateur side Corinthian were given a free entry to the first round. To make the number of teams up to 64, nine Third Division South sides and only one Third Division North side were given byes to this round. These were:

32 matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 13 January 1923. Twelve matches were drawn and went to replays in the following midweek fixture, of which three went to another replay, and one match went to a third.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 5–1 Wrexham 13 January 1923
2 Bury 2–1 Luton Town 13 January 1923
3 Liverpool 0–0 Arsenal 13 January 1923
Replay Arsenal 1–4 Liverpool 17 January 1923
4 South Shields 3–1 Halifax Town 13 January 1923
5 Leicester City 4–0 Fulham 13 January 1923
6 Nottingham Forest 0–0 Sheffield United 13 January 1923
Replay Sheffield United 0–0 Nottingham Forest 17 January 1923
Replay Nottingham Forest 1–1 Sheffield United 22 January 1923
Replay Sheffield United 1–0 Nottingham Forest 23 January 1923
7 Aston Villa 0–1 Blackburn Rovers 13 January 1923
8 The Wednesday 3–0 New Brighton 13 January 1923
9 West Bromwich Albion 0–0 Stalybridge Celtic 13 January 1923
Replay Stalybridge Celtic 0–2 West Bromwich Albion 17 January 1923
10 Sunderland 3–1 Burnley 13 January 1923
11 Derby County 2–0 Blackpool 13 January 1923
12 Everton 1–1 Bradford Park Avenue 13 January 1923
Replay Bradford Park Avenue 1–0 Everton 17 January 1923
13 Swindon Town 0–0 Barnsley 13 January 1923
Replay Barnsley 2–0 Swindon Town 18 January 1923
14 Newcastle United 0–0 Southampton 13 January 1923
Replay Southampton 3–1 Newcastle United 17 January 1923
15 Tottenham Hotspur 0–0 Worksop Town 13 January 1923
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 9–0 Worksop Town 15 January 1923
16 Manchester City 1–2 Charlton Athletic 13 January 1923
17 Queens Park Rangers 1–0 Crystal Palace 13 January 1923
18 Portsmouth 0–0 Leeds United 13 January 1923
Replay Leeds United 3–1 Portsmouth 17 January 1923
19 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–1 Corinthian 13 January 1923
Replay Corinthian 1–1 Brighton & Hove Albion 17 January 1923
Replay Brighton & Hove Albion 1–0 Corinthian 22 January 1923
20 Norwich City 0–2 Bolton Wanderers 13 January 1923
21 Plymouth Argyle 0–0 Notts County 13 January 1923
Replay Notts County 0–1 Plymouth Argyle 17 January 1923
22 Bradford City 1–1 Manchester United 13 January 1923
Replay Manchester United 2–0 Bradford City 17 January 1923
23 Hull City 2–3 West Ham United 13 January 1923
24 Clapton Orient 0–2 Millwall 13 January 1923
25 Oldham Athletic 0–1 Middlesbrough 13 January 1923
26 Chelsea 1–0 Rotherham County 13 January 1923
27 Huddersfield Town 2–1 Birmingham 13 January 1923
28 Blyth Spartans 0–3 Stoke 13 January 1923
29 Cardiff City 1–1 Watford 13 January 1923
Replay Watford 2–2 Cardiff City 17 January 1923
Replay Cardiff City 2–1 Watford 22 January 1923
30 Merthyr Town 0–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 13 January 1923
31 Aberdare Athletic 1–3 Preston North End 13 January 1923
32 Wigan Borough 4–1 Bath City 13 January 1923

Second Round Proper

The 16 Second Round matches were played on Saturday, 3 February 1923. Five matches were drawn, with replays taking place in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 0–3 Derby County 3 February 1923
2 Bury 3–1 Stoke 3 February 1923
3 South Shields 0–0 Blackburn Rovers 3 February 1923
Replay Blackburn Rovers 0–1 South Shields 7 February 1923
4 Leicester City 0–1 Cardiff City 3 February 1923
5 The Wednesday 2–1 Barnsley 3 February 1923
6 Bolton Wanderers 3–1 Leeds United 3 February 1923
7 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0–2 Liverpool 3 February 1923
8 Middlesbrough 1–1 Sheffield United 3 February 1923
Replay Sheffield United 3–0 Middlesbrough 8 February 1923
9 West Bromwich Albion 2–1 Sunderland 3 February 1923
10 Tottenham Hotspur 4–0 Manchester United 3 February 1923
11 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–1 West Ham United 3 February 1923
Replay West Ham United 1–0 Brighton & Hove Albion 7 February 1923
12 Plymouth Argyle 4–1 Bradford Park Avenue 3 February 1923
13 Millwall 0–0 Huddersfield Town 3 February 1923
Replay Huddersfield Town 3–0 Millwall 7 February 1923
14 Chelsea 0–0 Southampton 3 February 1923
Replay Southampton 1–0 Chelsea 7 February 1923
15 Charlton Athletic 2–0 Preston North End 3 February 1923
16 Wigan Borough 2–4 Queens Park Rangers 3 February 1923

Third round proper

The eight Third Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 24 February 1923. Two matches were drawn and went to replays in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bury 0–0 Southampton 24 February 1923
Replay Southampton 1–0 Bury 28 February 1923
2 Liverpool 1–2 Sheffield United 24 February 1923
3 Derby County 1–0 The Wednesday 24 February 1923
4 Queens Park Rangers 3–0 South Shields 24 February 1923
5 West Ham United 2–0 Plymouth Argyle 24 February 1923
6 Huddersfield Town 1–1 Bolton Wanderers 24 February 1923
Replay Bolton Wanderers 1–0 Huddersfield Town 28 February 1923
7 Cardiff City 2–3 Tottenham Hotspur 24 February 1923
8 Charlton Athletic 1–0 West Bromwich Albion 24 February 1923

Fourth round proper

The four Fourth Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 10 March 1923. There was one replay, between Southampton and West Ham United, played in the following midweek fixture. However, this went to a second replay, which West Ham won.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Southampton 1–1 West Ham United 10 March 1923
Replay West Ham United 1–1 Southampton 14 March 1923
Replay West Ham United 1–0 Southampton 19 March 1923
2 Tottenham Hotspur 0–1 Derby County 10 March 1923
3 Queens Park Rangers 0–1 Sheffield United 10 March 1923
4 Charlton Athletic 0–1 Bolton Wanderers 10 March 1923


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 24 March 1923. The matches ended in victories for Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United, who went on to meet in the final at Wembley.

Bolton Wanderers1–0Sheffield United
West Ham United5–2Derby County


The final was held on 28 April 1923 at the original Wembley Stadium in London. It was the first football match to be played at the newly built stadium. King George V was in attendance to present the trophy to the winning team. Bolton Wanderers won the match 2–0, through goals from David Jack and Jack Smith

Match details

Bolton Wanderers2–0West Ham United
Jack Goal 2'
Jack Smith Goal 53'
Bolton Wanderers
West Ham United

See also


  1. ^ a b c Thraves, Andrew. The History of the Wembley FA Cup Final. pp. 1–4.
1922–23 Birmingham F.C. season

The 1922–23 Football League season was Birmingham Football Club's 27th in the Football League and their 10th in the First Division. They finished in 17th position in the 22-team division, and set an unwanted record sequence of eight league defeats, since equalled but as of 2012 not beaten. They also competed in the 1922–23 FA Cup, entering at the first round proper and losing to Huddersfield Town in that round.

Twenty-six players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were ten different goalscorers. Full-back Jack Jones played in 41 matches over the 43-match season; goalkeeper Dan Tremelling and forward Joe Bradford appeared in one fewer. Bradford was leading scorer for the second year running, with 19 goals, of which 18 came in the league.

Off the field, the club made a £13,000 saving on wages and general expenses to end the season with a profit of £3,000. This was Frank Richards' last season as secretary-manager. He was succeeded by Billy Beer, who as a player made 250 appearances for the club in the 1900s.

1922–23 Southampton F.C. season

The 1922–23 season was the 28th season of competitive football by Southampton, and the club's first in the Second Division of the Football League. Having secured promotion from the Third Division South as champions the previous season, the largely unchanged Saints team avoided relegation comfortably and finished in the middle of the league table in their first season as a second-flight club. After a poor start to the campaign in which they picked up only one point from their first five matches, Southampton began to improve in form and move up from the Second Division relegation zone. The club picked up several wins over higher-placed opponents challenging for the division's two promotion places, allowing them to finish mid-table. Southampton finished in 11th place with 14 wins, 14 draws and 14 losses, and an even goal average.

In the 1922–23 FA Cup, Southampton beat First Division sides Newcastle United and Chelsea in the first and second rounds, followed by Second Division opponents Bury in the third, all of which went to replays at The Dell. In the fourth round they faced West Ham United, another Second Division side, and were knocked out after a second replay. The club ended the season hosting local rivals Portsmouth in the annual Hampshire Benevolent Cup charity match, which ended in a 2–2 draw with goals from Arthur Dominy and Henry Johnson. They also played Pompey a week previously in the Rowland Hospital Cup, with Johnson and Bill Rawlings scoring in the 2–1 win. Southampton also played three friendly matches during the season, losing to Arsenal in October, Portsmouth in December, and drawing at Northampton Town in May.

Southampton used 22 different players during the 1922–23 season and had nine different goalscorers. Their top scorer was inside-right Arthur Dominy, who scored 13 goals in the Second Division and four in the FA Cup. Centre-forward Bill Rawlings, the club's top scorer for the last two seasons, scored 12 times in the league and twice in the cup. Seven new players were signed by the club during the campaign, with five released and sold to other clubs. The average attendance at The Dell during the 1922–23 season was 12,261. The highest attendance was approximately 25,000 in the FA Cup second round replay against Chelsea on 7 February 1923; the highest league attendance was 18,000 against South Shields on 2 September 1922. The lowest attendance of the season was around 5,000 for the game against Port Vale on 5 March 1923.

1922–23 West Ham United F.C. season

Major players brought in by manager Syd King included inside-left Billy Moore and inside-right Charlie Crossley from First Division clubs Sunderland and Everton. He also raided fellow Second Division teams, bringing in wingers Billy Charlton from South Shields and Dick Richards from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

A disastrous start to their Division Two campaign saw West Ham win just three, and lose seven of their opening 15 fixtures.

West Ham suffered their two biggest defeats of the season in consecutive away games. They lost to Blackpool 4-1 in the meeting on 21 October 1922 and a week later to Leeds United 3-1. Billy Moore scored the only West Ham goals in both games.

11 November 1922 saw West Ham face Leeds United at home and they managed to keep a clean sheet, the game ending 0-0. This game was the start of a 32-game league and cup run that would see West Ham lose only once, in their home game against Manchester United on Boxing Day.

West Ham's biggest win of the season came away to Leicester City on 15 February 1923 with the Hammers securing an emphatic 6-0 win. Billy Moore scored a hat-trick, with the other goals coming from Dick Richards, Jimmy Ruffell and Jack Tresadern.

The first fruits of this long run of good form was West Ham's presence in their first major cup final. In the first ever FA Cup Final to be held at the newly built Wembley Stadium, it is thought that a quarter of a million people converged on a ground that had the capacity for half of that, to see West Ham play Bolton Wanderers.

The match, that became known as the White Horse Final, kicked off 45 minutes late with thousands of fans standing on the touchlines. West Ham were 1-0 down within six minutes. Jack Tresadern entered the crowd to retrieve the ball and before he could return to the pitch Bolton had profited from the numerical advantage and taken the lead, with a header from David Jack. After a half-time break which had seen the players remain on the pitch, West Ham's only chance of the game came as Dick Richards swung a chest-high cross from the right wing for Vic Watson who had his shot saved and held by Bolton goalkeeper Dick Pym. Soon after, Bolton secured their victory with a goal from John Smith. There were so many bodies pressing up behind the goal that the ball instantly rebounded out and many had mistakenly thought that the ball had just hit a post. All subsequent FA Cup Finals were all-ticket.

Two days after the cup final, West Ham put their disappointment aside and travelled north to face Sheffield Wednesday. West Ham earned what was considered a "brave" 2-0 win. This put them back on top of Division Two on goal difference, with only one game left to play. West Ham's final day 1-0 loss to eventual champions Notts County was irrelevant, as fellow challengers Leicester City fell at the last hurdle, losing to Bury.

"The news of Leicester's loss was signalled from the veranda of the director's pavilion whilst a fierce struggle was going on around the Notts goal. Immediately there was a cheer, which swelled into a mighty roar as it was taken up by the crowd all around the ground. For the moment the players were confounded and the play seemed to hang in suspense, but immediately the loss of enthusiasm became apparent - it was a thrilling scene. An interesting touch was added when Donald Cock, the Notts County centre, found the opportunity on the field to shake hands with George Kay, the West Ham captain." - 'Corinthian', The Daily Graphic

Both clubs had ensured promotion, and West Ham would be appearing in the First Division for the first time in their history.

Vic Watson finished the season as top scorer with 27 goals in league and cup games. Billy Moore was the only ever-present player, finishing the season with 51 appearances.

1923 FA Cup Final

The 1923 FA Cup Final was an association football match between Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United on 28 April 1923 at the original Wembley Stadium in London. The showpiece match of English football's primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (better known as the FA Cup), it was the first football match to be played at Wembley Stadium. King George V was in attendance to present the trophy to the winning team.

Each team had progressed through five rounds to reach the final. Bolton Wanderers won 1–0 in every round from the third onwards, and David Jack scored the lone goal each time. West Ham United faced opposition from the Second Division or lower in each round, the first time this had occurred since the introduction of multiple divisions in the Football League. West Ham took three attempts to defeat Southampton in the fourth round but then easily defeated Derby County in the semi-final, scoring five goals.

The final was preceded by chaotic scenes as vast crowds surged into the stadium, far exceeding its official capacity of approximately 125,000. A crowd estimated at up to 300,000 gained entrance and the terraces overflowed, with the result that spectators found their way into the area around the pitch and even onto the playing area itself. Mounted policemen, including one on a light-coloured horse which became the defining image of the day, had to be brought in to clear the crowds from the pitch and allow the match to take place. The match began 45 minutes late as crowds stood around the perimeter of the pitch. Although West Ham started strongly, Bolton proved the dominant team for most of the match and won 2–0. David Jack scored a goal two minutes after the start of the match and Jack Smith added a controversial second goal during the second half. The pre-match events prompted discussion in the House of Commons and led to the introduction of safety measures for future finals. The match is often referred to as the "White Horse Final" and is commemorated by the White Horse Bridge at the new Wembley Stadium.

Bill Lacey (footballer)

William Lacey (24 September 1889, Enniscorthy, County Wexford, Ireland – 30 May 1969) was an Irish footballer who played for, among others, Shelbourne, Liverpool, Everton and Linfield. Lacey was a dual international and also played for both Ireland teams – the IFA XI and the FAI XI.

An extremely versatile and talented player, Lacey played in all eleven positions during his career. He was a prominent member of the Ireland team that won the 1914 British Home Championship and was also a member of the Liverpool team that won two successive English First Division titles in 1922 and 1923. He was also the first player to be capped at full international level while playing for both Everton and Liverpool. In 1927 at the age of 37, he became the oldest player to make his debut for an FAI XI, and in 1930 at the age of 41 he became the FAI XI's oldest ever player. After retiring as a player, Lacey became a coach, most notably with the FAI XI and Bohemians.

In August 2010, a plaque was unveiled for Bill in his hometown of Enniscorthy coming 14 months after the 50th anniversary of his death in 1969. The plaque was unveiled at his birthplace on the Ross Road, Enniscorthy, County Wexford.

Bill Pocock

William Thomas Pocock (24 February 1884 — 4 February 1959) was an English footballer who played as an outside left.

Frank Vallis

Frank Vallis (5 May 1896 — September 1957) was an English footballer who played as a goalkeeper.

George Kay

George Kay (21 September 1891 – 18 April 1954) was an English football player and manager of Luton Town, Southampton and Liverpool.

The highlight of his playing career was when he captained West Ham United in the first FA Cup final to be played at Wembley, the White Horse Final.

He was manager of Liverpool for 15 years (1936–1951) and led them to the Football League title in 1947, the first post-war football season.

Laurie Banfield

Laurence Banfield (born 11 November 1889 and died 11 September 1979 in Paulton, Somerset) was an English footballer who played as a left back. He made over 250 Football League appearances in the years before and after the First World War.

Vic Watson

Victor Martin Watson (10 November 1897 – 3 August 1988) was an English professional footballer who played most of his club football for West Ham United.

Watson, a centre forward, played 505 times for West Ham between 1920 and 1936. The club paid just £50 for Vic from Wellingborough, bringing him in to provide cover for Syd Puddefoot.Watson is the club's record goalscorer with 326 goals with 298 league and 28 FA cup. 203 of his league goals were from 295 top flight appearances. He once scored six, in an 8-2 home win against Leeds on 9 February 1929, scored four goals on three occasions, and managed 13 hat-tricks while at West Ham.Watson gained two international caps with England in 1923 and a further three caps in 1930, scoring four goals in total, including two against Scotland in the 1930 British Home Championship.

He spent one season (1935–36) with Southampton before retiring and he was the club's top scorer with 14 goals in 36 league appearances.

Upon retiring, he became a market gardener in Girton, Cambridgeshire. He died in August 1988 at the age of 90.

In June 2010 a plaque honouring Watson was unveiled in Girton.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team
192223 in European football
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.