1921–22 FA Cup

The 1921–22 FA Cup was the 47th season of the world's oldest association football competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (more usually known as the FA Cup). Huddersfield Town won the competition, beating Preston North End 1–0 in the final at Stamford Bridge, London.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held at neutral venues until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1921–22 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsTottenham Hotspur
ChampionsHuddersfield Town
(1st title)
Runners-upPreston North End


The format of the FA Cup for the season had two preliminary rounds, six qualifying rounds, four proper rounds, and the semi finals and final.

Round Date
Extra Preliminary Round Saturday 10 September 1921
Preliminary Round Saturday 24 September 1921
First Round Qualifying Saturday 8 October 1921
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 22 October 1921
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 5 November 1921
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 19 November 1921
Fifth Round Qualifying Saturday 3 December 1921
Sixth Round Qualifying Saturday 17 December 1921
First Round Proper Saturday 7 January 1922
Second Round Proper Saturday 28 January 1922
Third Round Proper Saturday 18 February 1922
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 4 March 1922
Semi-Finals Saturday 25 March 1922
Final Saturday 29 April 1922

First round proper

12 qualifiers and 41 (out of 44) Division 1 & 2 clubs joined this round. Coventry City and Rotherham County of Division 2 were entered in the fifth qualifying round. First Division side Birmingham had their entry rejected after they failed to submit the relevant paperwork.[1] Of the Division 3S sides, Aberdare Athletic and Charlton Athletic were entered in the extra preliminary round (though the latter did not play), while nine sides entered the fifth qualifying round (Brentford. Bristol Rovers, Exeter City, Gllingham, Merthyr Town, Newport County, Northampton Town, Norwich City and Swansea Town). The eleven others were given byes to the first round proper. These were:

Of the Division 3N sides, Halifax Town and Wigan Borough took no part in the competition. Nine sides were entered in the fourth qualifying round (Darlington, Durham City, Grimsby Town, Hartlepools United, Lincoln City, Rochdale, Southport, Stockport County and Wrexham) and the rest in the fifth qualifying round.

32 matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 7 January 1922. Eleven matches were drawn and went to replays in the following midweek fixture, of which one went to another replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Blackpool 1–2 Watford 7 January 1922
2 Bristol City 0–0 Nottingham Forest 7 January 1922
Replay Nottingham Forest 3–1 Bristol City 11 January 1922
3 Burnley 2–2 Huddersfield Town 7 January 1922
Replay Huddersfield Town 3–2 Burnley 11 January 1922
4 Preston North End 3–0 Wolverhampton Wanderers 7 January 1922
5 Southampton 3–1 South Shields 7 January 1922
6 Walsall 3–3 Bradford City 7 January 1922
Replay Bradford City 4–0 Walsall 11 January 1922
7 Gillingham 1–3 Oldham Athletic 7 January 1922
8 Leicester City 2–0 Clapton Orient 7 January 1922
9 Blackburn Rovers 1–1 Southport 7 January 1922
Replay Southport 0–2 Blackburn Rovers 11 January 1922
10 Aston Villa 6–1 Derby County 7 January 1922
11 Bolton Wanderers 1–0 Bury 7 January 1922
12 Grimsby Town 1–1 Notts County 7 January 1922
Replay Notts County 3–0 Grimsby Town 12 January 1922
13 Sunderland 1–1 Liverpool 7 January 1922
Replay Liverpool 5–0 Sunderland 11 January 1922
14 Everton 0–6 Crystal Palace 7 January 1922
15 Swindon Town 2–1 Leeds United 7 January 1922
16 Newcastle United 6–0 Newport County 7 January 1922
17 Worksop Town 1–2 Southend United 7 January 1922
18 Manchester City 3–1 Darlington 7 January 1922
19 Barnsley 1–1 Norwich City 7 January 1922
Replay Norwich City 1–2 Barnsley 12 January 1922
20 Brentford 0–2 Tottenham Hotspur 7 January 1922
21 Northampton Town 3–0 Reading 7 January 1922
22 Portsmouth 1–1 Luton Town 7 January 1922
Replay Luton Town 2–1 Portsmouth 11 January 1922
23 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–0 Sheffield United 7 January 1922
24 Manchester United 1–4 Cardiff City 7 January 1922
25 Plymouth Argyle 1–1 Fulham 7 January 1922
Replay Fulham 1–0 Plymouth Argyle 11 January 1922
26 Millwall 4–2 Ashington 7 January 1922
27 Hull City 5–0 Middlesbrough 7 January 1922
28 Chelsea 2–4 West Bromwich Albion 7 January 1922
29 Bradford Park Avenue 1–0 The Wednesday 7 January 1922
30 Port Vale 2–4 Stoke 7 January 1922
31 Swansea Town 0–0 West Ham United 7 January 1922
Replay West Ham United 1–1 Swansea Town 11 January 1922
Replay Swansea Town 1–0 West Ham United 16 January 1922
32 Arsenal 0–0 Queens Park Rangers 7 January 1922
Replay Queens Park Rangers 1–2 Arsenal 11 January 1922

Second Round Proper

The 16 Second Round matches were played on Saturday, 28 January 1922. Five matches were drawn, with replays taking place in the following midweek fixture. One of these, the Bradford City–Notts County match, went to a second replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 0–1 West Bromwich Albion 28 January 1922
2 Preston North End 3–1 Newcastle United 28 January 1922
3 Southampton 1–1 Cardiff City 28 January 1922
Replay Cardiff City 2–0 Southampton 1 February 1922
4 Leicester City 2–0 Fulham 28 January 1922
5 Nottingham Forest 3–0 Hull City 28 January 1922
6 Aston Villa 1–0 Luton Town 28 January 1922
7 Bolton Wanderers 1–3 Manchester City 28 January 1922
8 Swindon Town 0–1 Blackburn Rovers 28 January 1922
9 Tottenham Hotspur 1–0 Watford 28 January 1922
10 Barnsley 3–1 Oldham Athletic 28 January 1922
11 Northampton Town 2–2 Stoke 28 January 1922
Replay Stoke 3–0 Northampton Town 1 February 1922
12 Brighton & Hove Albion 0–0 Huddersfield Town 28 January 1922
Replay Huddersfield Town 2–0 Brighton & Hove Albion 1 February 1922
13 Bradford City 1–1 Notts County 28 January 1922
Replay Notts County 0–0 Bradford City 1 February 1922
Replay Notts County 1–0 Bradford City 6 February 1922
14 Crystal Palace 0–0 Millwall 28 January 1922
Replay Millwall 2–0 Crystal Palace 1 February 1922
15 Southend United 0–1 Swansea Town 28 January 1922
16 Bradford Park Avenue 2–3 Arsenal 28 January 1922

Third round proper

The eight Third Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 18 February 1922. Four matches were drawn and went to replays in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Stoke 0–0 Aston Villa 18 February 1922
Replay Aston Villa 4–0 Stoke 22 February 1922
2 Blackburn Rovers 1–1 Huddersfield Town 18 February 1922
Replay Huddersfield Town 5–0 Blackburn Rovers 22 February 1922
3 West Bromwich Albion 1–1 Notts County 18 February 1922
Replay Notts County 2–0 West Bromwich Albion 22 February 1922
4 Tottenham Hotspur 2–1 Manchester City 18 February 1922
5 Barnsley 1–1 Preston North End 18 February 1922
Replay Preston North End 3–0 Barnsley 22 February 1922
6 Millwall 4–0 Swansea Town 18 February 1922
7 Cardiff City 4–1 Nottingham Forest 18 February 1922
8 Arsenal 3–0 Leicester City 18 February 1922

Fourth round proper

The four Fourth Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 4 March 1922. There were three replays, each played in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Notts County 2–2 Aston Villa 4 March 1922
Replay Aston Villa 3–4 Notts County 8 March 1922
2 Huddersfield Town 3–0 Millwall 4 March 1922
3 Cardiff City 1–1 Tottenham Hotspur 4 March 1922
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 2–1 Cardiff City 8 March 1922
4 Arsenal 1–1 Preston North End 4 March 1922
Replay Preston North End 2–1 Arsenal 8 March 1922


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 25 March 1922. The matches ended in victories for Preston North End and Huddersfield Town, who went on to meet in the final at Wembley.

Preston North End2–1Tottenham Hotspur
Huddersfield Town2–0Notts County


The Final was contested by Huddersfield Town and Preston North End at Stamford Bridge. Huddersfield won by a single goal, a penalty scored by Billy Smith.

Match details

Huddersfield Town1 – 0Preston North End
Smith Goal 67' (pen) Report
Huddersfield Town
Preston North End

See also


  1. ^ Matthews, Tony (October 2000). The Encyclopedia of Birmingham City Football Club 1875-2000. Britespot. p. 190. ISBN 0-9539288-0-2.
1921–22 Birmingham F.C. season

The 1921–22 Football League season was Birmingham Football Club's 26th in the Football League and their 9th in the First Division, having been promoted as Second Division champions in 1920–21. They retained their First Division status, finishing in 18th position in the 22-team division.

They did not take part in the 1921–22 FA Cup. Secretary-manager Frank Richards failed to submit their entry form in time to be granted exemption from qualifying, and the Football Association refused to bend the rules in their favour. Although that decision did not preclude their entering the competition in the qualifying rounds, the directors chose not to do so.Thirty-one players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were twelve different goalscorers. Goalkeeper Dan Tremelling played in 39 matches over the 42-match season; among outfield players, half-back Alec McClure appeared in 35. Joe Bradford and Johnny Crosbie were joint leading scorers with 10 goals.

1921–22 Southampton F.C. season

The 1921–22 season was the 27th season of competitive football by Southampton, and the club's second in the Football League. After finishing second in the league the previous season, Southampton achieved promotion to the Second Division as champions of the newly regionalised Third Division South. Following a false start to the campaign, the Saints quickly asserted their dominance in the league when they went on a club record 19-game unbeaten run until the end of 1921. The club also remained unbeaten at The Dell for the entirety of the league season, as well as conceding a Football League record low 21 goals in 42 games, which remained in place until the 1978–79 season. Southampton finished atop the league table with 23 wins, 15 draws and four losses, ahead of runners-up Plymouth Argyle only on goal average.

In the 1921–22 FA Cup, Southampton beat Second Division side South Shields to reach the second round, but were knocked out following a replay by recently promoted First Division club Cardiff City, who had also eliminated them in the fourth round the previous year. The club ended the season hosting local rivals Portsmouth in the annual Hampshire Benevolent Cup charity match, which they won 3–1 thanks to two goals from Arthur Dominy and one from Bill Rawlings. Southampton also played four friendly matches during the campaign, beating Portsmouth 4–0 in a benefit game for club secretary and former manager Ernest Arnfield in October, losing 1–0 to Pompey the following month, defeating Preston North End 3–1 in a benefit game for Arthur Dominy in December, and beating amateur side Corinthian in February.

Southampton used 25 different players during the 1921–22 season and had ten different goalscorers. Their top scorer was centre-forward Bill Rawlings, who scored 30 goals in the Third Division South (one behind the division's top scorer, Plymouth's Frank Richardson) and two in the FA Cup. During the season, the club broke their record for highest league win, beating Northampton Town 8–0 at The Dell in December. Eight new players were signed by the club during the campaign, with seven released and sold to other clubs. The average attendance at The Dell during the 1921–22 season was 11,140. The highest attendance was 20,940 against Queens Park Rangers on 27 December 1921; the lowest was around 5,000 for matches against Millwall on 5 January 1922 and against Swansea Town on 20 February 1922.

1922 FA Charity Shield

The 1922 Football Association Charity Shield was played on 10 May 1922. The game was played at Old Trafford, home of Manchester United, and was contested by the FA Cup holders Huddersfield Town and First Division champions Liverpool. The game ended in a 1–0 win for Huddersfield Town with the winning goal scored by Tom Wilson. This was the last Charity Shield game to take place in May.

1922 FA Cup Final

The 1922 FA Cup Final was contested by Huddersfield Town and Preston North End at Stamford Bridge. Huddersfield won by a single goal, a penalty scored by Billy Smith.

Handsworth, South Yorkshire

Handsworth is a suburb of south eastern Sheffield, in South Yorkshire, England. It covers an area of approximately 5 square miles (13 km2), and has a population of approximately 15,000. It has five schools, four churches, a variety of small shops, a large supermarket, and a range of commercial and light industrial businesses. The area is signposted from M1 Junction 31.

Some of the older residents of Handsworth still refer to it as "the village". Politically, Handsworth is part of the Woodhouse ward in the Sheffield South East parliamentary constituency.

History of Birmingham City F.C. (1875–1965)

Birmingham City Football Club, an English association football club based in Birmingham, was founded as Small Heath Alliance in 1875, and from 1877 played home games at Muntz Street. It adopted professionalism in 1885, and three years later, as Small Heath F.C., became a limited company with a board of directors, the first football club so to do. The team played in the Football Alliance from the 1889–90 season, and in 1892, along with the other Alliance teams, were invited to join the newly formed Second Division of the Football League. Although they finished as champions, they failed to win promotion via the test match system; the following season promotion to the First Division was secured after a second-place finish and test match victory over Darwen. The club adopted the name Birmingham Football Club in 1905, and the following year moved into a new home, St Andrew's Ground. Matters on the field failed to live up to their surroundings. Birmingham were relegated in 1908, obliged to apply for re-election two years later, and remained in the Second Division until after the First World War.

Under the captaincy of Frank Womack, who went on to set club appearance records, Birmingham won their second Division Two title in 1920–21. The 19-year-old Joe Bradford made his debut in 1920; he was to score a club record 267 goals in 445 games and win 12 caps for England. In 1931, manager Leslie Knighton led the club to their first FA Cup Final; they lost 2–1 to Second Division club West Bromwich Albion. Though Birmingham remained in the top flight for 18 seasons, they struggled in the league, placing too much reliance on England goalkeeper Harry Hibbs to make up for the lack of goals, Bradford excepted, at the other end. They were finally relegated in 1938–39, the last full season before the Football League was suspended for the duration of the Second World War.

The name Birmingham City F.C. was adopted in 1943. Under Harry Storer, appointed manager in 1945, the team won the Football League South wartime league and reached the semi-final of the first post-war FA Cup. Two years later they won their third Second Division title, conceding only 24 goals in the 42-game season. Storer's successor, Bob Brocklebank, though unable to stave off relegation in 1950, brought in players who made a major contribution to the club's successes of the next decade. After taking over halfway through the 1954–55 season, Arthur Turner led the team to another Second Division title followed by what remains their highest league finish, of sixth place in the First Division, in 1955–56. They also reached the FA Cup final, losing 3–1 to Manchester City in the game best remembered for City's goalkeeper Bert Trautmann playing the last 20 minutes with a broken bone in his neck. The following season the club lost in the FA Cup semi-final for the third time since the war, this time beaten 2–0 by Manchester United's "Busby Babes".

Birmingham became the first English club side to take part in European competition when they played their first fixture in the inaugural Inter-Cities Fairs Cup competition in May 1956; they lost to Barcelona after a replay in the semi-final. They were also the first to reach a European final, losing to Barcelona in the 1960 Fairs Cup final, and also lost to Roma in 1961. As a player, Gil Merrick had beaten Womack's appearance record and been England's regular goalkeeper; as manager, his team saved their best form for cup competitions. Opponents in the 1963 League Cup final, local rivals Aston Villa, were pre-match favourites, but Birmingham raised their game and won 3–1 on aggregate to lift their first major trophy. By 1965, Merrick had been asked to resign, and after ten years in the top flight, Birmingham were back in the Second Division.

South Bank F.C.

South Bank F.C. were a football club based near Middlesbrough, England. The club claimed to have been founded in 1868, which would have made them one of the oldest football clubs in England.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team
192122 in European football
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.