1914–15 FA Cup

The 1914–15 FA Cup was the 44th season of the world's oldest association football competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (more usually known as the FA Cup), and the last to be held before the cancellation of all football competitions since due to World War I. Sheffield United won the competition for the third time, beating Chelsea 3–0 in the final at Old Trafford, Manchester.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held at neutral venues until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1914–15 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsBurnley
ChampionsSheffield United
(3rd title)


The format of the FA Cup for the season had two preliminary rounds, six qualifying rounds, four proper rounds, and the semi finals and final.

Round Date
Extra Preliminary Round Saturday 12 September 1914
Preliminary Round Saturday 26 September 1914
First Round Qualifying Saturday 10 October 1914
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 24 October 1914
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 7 November 1914
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 21 November 1914
Fifth Round Qualifying Saturday 5 December 1914
Sixth Round Qualifying Saturday 19 December 1914
First Round Proper Saturday 9 January 1915
Second Round Proper Saturday 30 January 1915
Third Round Proper Saturday 20 February 1915
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 6 March 1915
Semi-Finals Saturday 27 March 1915
Final Saturday 24 April 1915

First round proper

36 of the 40 clubs from the First and Second divisions joined the 12 clubs who came through the qualifying rounds. Four sides, Lincoln City, Nottingham Forest, Leicester Fosse and Glossop were entered instead at the Sixth Qualifying Round. Of these, only Leicester went out at the qualifying stages, while the other three and nine non-league clubs won through.

Sixteen non-league sides were given byes to the First Round to bring the total number of teams up to 64. These were:

Queens Park Rangers
Crystal Palace
Swindon Town
Plymouth Argyle
Cardiff City
Norwich City
Exeter City
Northampton Town
Southend United
West Ham United
Brighton & Hove Albion

32 matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 9 January 1915. Six matches were drawn and went to replays in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Birmingham 2–2 Crystal Palace 9 January 1915
Replay Birmingham 3–0 Crystal Palace 13 January 1915
2 Blackpool 1–2 Sheffield United 9 January 1915
3 Darlington 0–1 Bradford City 9 January 1915
4 Bristol City 2–0 Cardiff City 9 January 1915
5 Burnley 3–1 Huddersfield Town 9 January 1915
6 Bury 1–1 Plymouth Argyle 9 January 1915
Replay Plymouth Argyle 1–2 Bury 13 January 1915
7 Liverpool 3–0 Stockport County 9 January 1915
8 Preston North End 0–0 Manchester City 9 January 1915
Replay Manchester City 3–0 Preston North End 13 January 1915
9 Rochdale 2–0 Gillingham 9 January 1915
10 South Shields 1–2 Fulham 9 January 1915
11 Southampton 3–0 Luton Town 9 January 1915
12 Reading 0–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 9 January 1915
13 Nottingham Forest 1–4 Norwich City 9 January 1915
14 Aston Villa 2–0 Exeter City 9 January 1915
15 The Wednesday 1–0 Manchester United 9 January 1915
16 Bolton Wanderers 2–1 Notts County 9 January 1915
17 Grimsby Town 0–3 Northampton Town 9 January 1915
18 Middlesbrough 9–3 Goole Town 9 January 1915
19 Derby County 1–2 Leeds City 9 January 1915
20 Everton 3–0 Barnsley 9 January 1915
21 Tottenham Hotspur 2–1 Sunderland 9 January 1915
22 Queens Park Rangers 2–1 Glossop 9 January 1915
23 Bristol Rovers 0–0 Southend United 16 January 1915
Replay Southend United 3–0 Bristol Rovers 23 January 1915
24 West Ham United 2–2 Newcastle United 9 January 1915
Replay Newcastle United 3–2 West Ham United 13 January 1915
25 Brighton & Hove Albion 2–1 Lincoln City 9 January 1915
26 Millwall 2–1 Clapton Orient 9 January 1915
27 Hull City 1–0 West Bromwich Albion 9 January 1915
28 Chelsea 1–1 Swindon Town 9 January 1915
Replay Chelsea 5–2 Swindon Town 13 January 1915
29 Croydon Common 0–3 Oldham Athletic 9 January 1915
30 Bradford Park Avenue 1–0 Portsmouth 9 January 1915
31 Swansea Town 1–0 Blackburn Rovers 9 January 1915
32 Arsenal 3–0 Merthyr Town 9 January 1915

Second Round Proper

The 16 Second Round matches were played on Saturday, 30 January 1915. Three matches were drawn, with the replays taking place in the following weekend fixture. One of these was again drawn, and a second replay was played, again at the following Saturday.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Burnley 6–0 Southend United 30 January 1915
2 Bury 0–1 Bradford Park Avenue 30 January 1915
3 The Wednesday 2–0 Wolverhampton Wanderers 30 January 1915
4 Bolton Wanderers 0–0 Millwall 30 January 1915
Replay Millwall 2–2 Bolton Wanderers 6 February 1915
Replay Bolton Wanderers 4–1 Millwall 13 February 1915
5 Everton 4–0 Bristol City 30 January 1915
6 Sheffield United 1–0 Liverpool 30 January 1915
7 Newcastle United 1–1 Swansea Town 30 January 1915
Replay Swansea Town 0–2 Newcastle United 6 February 1915
8 Manchester City 1–0 Aston Villa 30 January 1915
9 Queens Park Rangers 1–0 Leeds City 30 January 1915
10 Fulham 2–3 Southampton 30 January 1915
11 Brighton & Hove Albion 0–0 Birmingham 30 January 1915
Replay Birmingham 3–0 Brighton & Hove Albion 6 February 1915
12 Norwich City 3–2 Tottenham Hotspur 30 January 1915
13 Bradford City 1–0 Middlesbrough 30 January 1915
14 Hull City 2–1 Northampton Town 30 January 1915
15 Oldham Athletic 3–0 Rochdale 30 January 1915
16 Chelsea 1–0 Arsenal 30 January 1915

Third round proper

The eight Third Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 20 February 1915. There were two replays, played the following week, of which one went to a second replay in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Birmingham 2–3 Oldham Athletic 20 February 1915
2 Southampton 2–2 Hull City 20 February 1915
Replay Hull City 4–0 Southampton 27 February 1915
3 The Wednesday 1–2 Newcastle United 20 February 1915
4 Bolton Wanderers 2–1 Burnley 20 February 1915
5 Sheffield United 1–0 Bradford Park Avenue 20 February 1915
6 Manchester City 0–1 Chelsea 20 February 1915
7 Queens Park Rangers 1–2 Everton 20 February 1915
8 Bradford City 1–1 Norwich City 20 February 1915
Replay Norwich City 0–0 Bradford City 27 February 1915
Replay Bradford City 2–0 Norwich City 3 March 1915

Fourth round proper

The four Fourth Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 6 March 1915. There were two replays, played a week later.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bolton Wanderers 4–2 Hull City 6 March 1915
2 Bradford City 0–2 Everton 6 March 1915
3 Oldham Athletic 0–0 Sheffield United 6 March 1915
Replay Sheffield United 3–0 Oldham Athletic 13 March 1915
4 Chelsea 1–1 Newcastle United 6 March 1915
Replay Newcastle United 0–1 Chelsea 13 March 1915


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 27 March 1915. Sheffield United and Chelsea won and went on to meet in the final.

Sheffield United2–1Bolton Wanderers


The final took place on 24 April 1915 and was contested by Sheffield United and Chelsea. It was the last FA Cup final to be staged before competitive football was abandoned in Britain because of the First World War. The match was moved from its pre-war location of Crystal Palace in south London to Old Trafford in Manchester to avoid disruption to travel in and around London.

Match details

Sheffield United3 – 0Chelsea
Simmons Goal 36'
Fazackerley Goal 84'
Kitchen Goal 88'
Sheffield United

See also


1914–15 Birmingham F.C. season

The 1914–15 Football League season, the last to be played before the league was abandoned because of the First World War, was Birmingham Football Club's 23rd in the Football League and their 15th in the Second Division. They finished in sixth position in the 20-team division. They also took part in the 1914–15 FA Cup, entering at the first round proper and losing to Oldham Athletic in the third round (last 16).

Twenty-three players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were thirteen different goalscorers. Goalkeeper Willie Robb and forward Richard Gibson were ever-present over the 43-match season; full-back Frank Womack and half-back Percy Barton each missed only one game. Andy Smith was leading scorer with 24 goals, of which 21 came in the league.

1915 FA Cup Final

The 1915 FA Cup Final took place on 24 April 1915 and was contested by Sheffield United and Chelsea. It was the last FA Cup final to be staged before competitive football was suspended in Britain because of the First World War. The match was moved from its pre-war location of Crystal Palace in south London to Old Trafford in Manchester to avoid disruption to travel in and around London.

The match is one of the few FA Cup Finals that has acquired a name; the Khaki Cup Final, owing to the large number of uniformed soldiers in attendance. However, the attendance of about 50,000 was lower than previous years as a result of wartime travel restriction and the mobilisation of large numbers of young men into the armed forces.

Bradford (Park Avenue) A.F.C.

Bradford (Park Avenue) Association Football Club is a football club in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England. Its name, derived from its former home Park Avenue, was used to avoid confusion with Bradford City, but the club is traditionally known locally simply as Bradford.

The present club is a reincarnation of the club which played in the Football League from 1908 to 1970 before dropping to the Northern Premier League and going into liquidation in 1974. The new entity, established in 1987, currently competes in the National League North, the sixth tier of English football, and plays home matches at the 3,500-capacity Horsfall Athletics Stadium. Bradford are one of 35 clubs to compete in all four top tiers of English football. The new club started life at what was then the thirteenth tier: Division Three of the West Riding County Amateur League.

The club is a community benefit society owned by its supporters.

Eddie Hanlon

Edward Hanlon (1886 – 10 September 1925), commonly known as Eddie or Ted Hanlon, was an English footballer who played in the Football League for Middlesbrough and Barnsley. A wing half or centre half, Hanlon also played for Darlington St Augustine's of the Northern League and for North-Eastern League clubs Darlington and Shildon.

History of Blackpool F.C. (1887–1962)

This is a history of Blackpool Football Club from 1887 to 1962. For their history between 1962 and the present day, see History of Blackpool F.C. (1962–present). For the club's season-by-season stats, see Blackpool F.C. seasons.

The history of Blackpool Football Club between 1887 and 1962 covers the years from the club's foundation, via a split from another Blackpool-based club; the period of nine years before they gained membership to the Football League; their recovery after losing their League status after only three seasons; and finally their rise into Division One, which was then the top tier of English football. Aside from the League, Blackpool also appeared in three FA Cup Finals in six years, finding success in their third attempt, in 1953. The same year, the club supplied the England team with four players for an international game against Hungary.

Between 1903 and 1962, Blackpool had nine different managers, with Joe Smith occupying the role for 23 of those 59 years. Prior to 1903, team selections were made by the board.

Percy Sutcliffe

Percy Sutcliffe (1889 – after 1923) was an English footballer who made 72 appearances in the Football League playing as a centre half for Darlington and Hartlepools United in the 1920s. He also played Southern League football for Norwich City.

Swansea City A.F.C.

Swansea City Association Football Club (; Welsh: Clwb Pêl-droed Dinas Abertawe) is a Welsh professional football club based in Swansea, Wales that plays in the Championship the second tier of English football. The club was founded in 1912 as Swansea Town and joined the Football League in 1921. The club changed their name in 1969, when they adopted the name Swansea City to reflect Swansea's new status as a city. Swansea have played their home matches at the Liberty Stadium since 2005, having previously played at the Vetch Field since the club was founded.

In 1981, the club was promoted to the original Football League First Division. It was during the following season they came close to winning the league title, but a decline then set in near the season's end, before they finished sixth, still a club record. It was from here the club suffered a relegation the season after, returning to the Football League Fourth Division a few seasons later, and then narrowly avoided relegation to the Football Conference in 2003. The Swansea City Supporters Society Ltd owns 20% of the club, with their involvement hailed by Supporters Direct as "the most high profile example of the involvement of a supporters' trust in the direct running of a club". The club's subsequent climb from the fourth division of English football to the top division is chronicled in the 2014 film, Jack to a King – The Swansea Story.

In 2011, Swansea were promoted to the Premier League. On 24 February 2013, Swansea beat Bradford City 5–0 to win the 2012–13 Football League Cup (the competition's highest ever winning margin for the final), winning the first major trophy in the club's history and qualifying for the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League, where they reached the Last 32 stage but lost over two legs to Napoli. Swansea were relegated from the Premier League at the end of the 2017–18 season.

Qualifying rounds
191415 in European football
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.