1906–07 FA Cup

The 1906–07 FA Cup was the 36th season of the world's oldest association football competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (more usually known as the FA Cup). The Wednesday won the competition for the second time, beating holders Everton 2–1 in the final at Crystal Palace.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held at neutral venues until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1906–07 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsEverton
ChampionsThe Wednesday
(2nd title)


The format of the FA Cup for the season had a preliminary round, five qualifying rounds, four proper rounds, and the semi finals and final.

Round Date
Preliminary Round Saturday 22 September 1906
First Round Qualifying Saturday 6 October 1906
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 20 October 1906
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 3 November 1906
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 24 November 1906
Fifth Round Qualifying Saturday 8 December 1906
First Round Proper Saturday 12 January 1907
Second Round Proper Saturday 2 February 1907
Third Round Proper Saturday 23 February 1907
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 9 March 1907
Semi-Finals Saturday 23 March 1907
Final Saturday 20 April 1907

First round proper

36 of the 40 clubs from the First and Second divisions joined the 12 clubs who came through the qualifying rounds. Of the League sides not given byes to this round, Burslem Port Vale, Glossop and Burton United were put into the Fifth Qualifying Round, and each one won. Clapton Orient were placed in the Preliminary Round, but their opponents, Grays United, were given a walkover. Nine non-league clubs joined the three League sides in winning through to the First Round Proper.

Sixteen non-league sides were given byes to the First Round to bring the total number of teams up to 64. These were:

Queens Park Rangers
Oxford City
Plymouth Argyle
Luton Town
Bristol Rovers
Norwich City
West Ham United
Brighton & Hove Albion
New Brompton
Tottenham Hotspur

32 matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 12 January 1907. Thirteen matches were drawn and went to replays in the following midweek fixture, of which four went to a second replay the following week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 4–1 Leeds City 12 January 1907
2 Burnley 1–3 Aston Villa 12 January 1907
3 Liverpool 2–1 Birmingham 12 January 1907
4 Southampton 2–1 Watford 12 January 1907
5 Notts County 1–0 Preston North End 12 January 1907
6 Nottingham Forest 1–1 Barnsley 12 January 1907
Replay Barnsley 2–1 Nottingham Forest 17 January 1907
7 Blackburn Rovers 2–2 Manchester City 12 January 1907
Replay Manchester City 0–1 Blackburn Rovers 16 January 1907
8 Sheffield Wednesday 3–2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 12 January 1907
9 Bolton Wanderers 3–1 Brighton & Hove Albion 12 January 1907
10 Grimsby Town 1–1 Woolwich Arsenal 12 January 1907
Replay Woolwich Arsenal 3–0 Grimsby Town 16 January 1907
11 Crewe Alexandra 1–1 Accrington Stanley 12 January 1907
Replay Accrington Stanley 1–0 Crewe Alexandra 16 January 1907
12 Middlesbrough 4–2 Northampton Town 12 January 1907
13 West Bromwich Albion 1–1 Stoke 12 January 1907
Replay Stoke 2–2 West Bromwich Albion 17 January 1907
Replay West Bromwich Albion 2–0 Stoke 21 January 1907
14 Sunderland 4–1 Leicester Fosse 12 January 1907
15 Derby County 1–1 Chesterfield 12 January 1907
Replay Chesterfield 1–1 Derby County 16 January 1907
Replay Chesterfield 0–4 Derby County 21 January 1907
16 Lincoln City 2–2 Chelsea 12 January 1907
Replay Chelsea 0–1 Lincoln City 16 January 1907
17 Burslem Port Vale 7–1 Irthlingborough Town 12 January 1907
18 Gainsborough Trinity 0–0 Luton Town 12 January 1907
Replay Luton Town 2–1 Gainsborough Trinity 16 January 1907
19 Everton 1–0 Sheffield United 12 January 1907
20 Newcastle United 0–1 Crystal Palace 12 January 1907
21 Tottenham Hotspur 0–0 Hull City 12 January 1907
Replay Hull City 0–0 Tottenham Hotspur 17 January 1907
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 1–0 Hull City 21 January 1907
22 Oxford City 0–3 Bury 12 January 1907
23 Fulham 0–0 Stockport County 12 January 1907
Replay Fulham 2–1 Stockport County 16 January 1907
24 Brentford 2–1 Glossop 12 January 1907
25 Bristol Rovers 0–0 Queens Park Rangers 12 January 1907
Replay Queens Park Rangers 0–1 Bristol Rovers 14 January 1907
26 Portsmouth 2–2 Manchester United 12 January 1907
Replay Manchester United 1–2 Portsmouth 16 January 1907
27 West Ham United 2–1 Blackpool 12 January 1907
28 Burton United 0–0 New Brompton 12 January 1907
Replay New Brompton 0–0 Burton United 16 January 1907
Replay New Brompton 2–0 Burton United 21 January 1907
29 Norwich City 3–1 Hastings & St Leonards United 12 January 1907
30 Bradford City 2–0 Reading 12 January 1907
31 Millwall 2–0 Plymouth Argyle 12 January 1907
32 Oldham Athletic 5–0 Kidderminster Harriers 12 January 1907

Second Round Proper

The 16 Second Round matches were played on Saturday, 2 February 1907. Five matches were drawn, with the replays taking place in the following midweek fixture. One of these, the Blackburn Rovers – Tottenham Hotspur match, went to a second replay the following week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bury 1–0 New Brompton 2 February 1907
2 Southampton 1–1 Sheffield Wednesday 2 February 1907
Replay Sheffield Wednesday 3–1 Southampton 7 February 1907
3 Blackburn Rovers 1–1 Tottenham Hotspur 2 February 1907
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 1–1 Blackburn Rovers 7 February 1907
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 2–1 Blackburn Rovers 11 February 1907
4 Bolton Wanderers 2–0 Aston Villa 2 February 1907
5 West Bromwich Albion 1–0 Norwich City 2 February 1907
6 Derby County 1–0 Lincoln City 2 February 1907
7 Burslem Port Vale 2–2 Notts County 2 February 1907
Replay Notts County 5–0 Burslem Port Vale 6 February 1907
8 Luton Town 0–0 Sunderland 2 February 1907
Replay Sunderland 1–0 Luton Town 6 February 1907
9 Woolwich Arsenal 2–1 Bristol City 2 February 1907
10 Fulham 0–0 Crystal Palace 2 February 1907
Replay Crystal Palace 1–0 Fulham 6 February 1907
11 Barnsley 1–0 Portsmouth 2 February 1907
12 Brentford 1–0 Middlesbrough 2 February 1907
13 Bristol Rovers 3–0 Millwall 2 February 1907
14 West Ham United 1–2 Everton 2 February 1907
15 Bradford City 1–0 Accrington Stanley 2 February 1907
16 Oldham Athletic 0–1 Liverpool 2 February 1907

Third round proper

The eight Third Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 23 February 1907. There were three replays, played in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 1–0 Bradford City 23 February 1907
2 Notts County 4–0 Tottenham Hotspur 23 February 1907
3 Sheffield Wednesday 0–0 Sunderland 23 February 1907
Replay Sunderland 0–1 Sheffield Wednesday 27 February 1907
4 West Bromwich Albion 2–0 Derby County 23 February 1907
5 Everton 0–0 Bolton Wanderers 23 February 1907
Replay Bolton Wanderers 0–3 Everton 27 February 1907
6 Woolwich Arsenal 1–0 Bristol Rovers 23 February 1907
7 Barnsley 1–0 Bury 23 February 1907
8 Crystal Palace 1–1 Brentford 23 February 1907
Replay Brentford 0–1 Crystal Palace 27 February 1907

Fourth round proper

The four Fourth Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 9 March 1907. The Crystal Palace – Everton game was drawn, and replayed on 13 March.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Sheffield Wednesday 1–0 Liverpool 9 March 1907
2 West Bromwich Albion 3–1 Notts County 9 March 1907
3 Barnsley 1–2 Woolwich Arsenal 9 March 1907
4 Crystal Palace 1–1 Everton 9 March 1907
Replay Everton 4–0 Crystal Palace 13 March 1907


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 23 March 1907. The Wednesday and Everton won to meet in the final.

The Wednesday3–1Woolwich Arsenal
Everton2–1West Bromwich Albion


The Final was contested by The Wednesday and Everton at Crystal Palace. Sheffield Wednesday won 2–1, with goals by Jimmy Stewart and George Simpson.

Match details

The Wednesday2 – 1Everton
Stewart Goal 20'
Simpson Goal 86'
Sharp Goal 45'
The Wednesday

See also


1906–07 Birmingham F.C. season

The 1906–07 Football League season was Birmingham Football Club's 15th in the Football League and their 7th in the First Division. They finished in ninth place in the 20-team league. They also took part in the 1906–07 FA Cup, entering at the first round proper and losing in that round to Liverpool.

Twenty-six players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were twelve different goalscorers. Forwards Benny Green and Billy Jones were ever-present over the 39-match season; full-back Frank Stokes and half-backs Billy Beer and Walter Wigmore missed only one, and three other players exceeded 30 appearances. Billy Jones was leading scorer with 15 goals, all of which came in the league.

The last league match at the Coventry Road ground, which no longer met the club's needs, was played on 22 December 1906. Birmingham beat Bury 3–1. The last goal was scored by Arthur Mounteney, and the Birmingham Daily Post described how At the conclusion of the match the band played "Auld Lang Syne", and the crowd silently left the ground which has been the home of the club for so many years and the scene of many brilliant victories and many heartbreaking defeats, and of an uphill struggle from which the club, thanks to the courage of the directors, has at length emerged triumphant.

Within months the ground had been demolished and the land cleared for housing.Construction of the St Andrew's Ground, in the Bordesley district some three-quarters of a mile (1 km) closer to the city centre, had taken less than a year from leasing the land to official opening on Boxing Day 1906. Heavy overnight snowfall put the ceremony, and the scheduled match against Middlesbrough, at risk. Dozens of volunteers, including members of the club's board, worked all morning to clear the pitch. The game finally kicked off an hour late, finishing goalless in front of 32,000 spectators. The Birmingham Daily Post editorial next day suggested that "the fact that so many spectators attended under such adverse conditions augurs well for the step that the directors have taken", and that the directors were "to be congratulated in having provided their supporters with a ground second to none in the country". The Football Association chose the ground to host the FA Cup semi-final in March 1907 between Sheffield Wednesday and Woolwich Arsenal.

1907 FA Cup Final

The 1907 FA Cup Final was contested by The Wednesday and Everton at Crystal Palace. Sheffield Wednesday won 2–1, with goals by Jimmy Stewart and George Simpson.

This was the second time that the previous winner had reached the final and failed to win it, the first time being in 1883 when Old Etonians lost to Blackburn Olympic.

Albert Buick

Albert Thoroughgood Buick (17 January 1875 – 25 March 1948) was a Scottish footballer, who played for Arbroath, Heart of Midlothian and Portsmouth.

Born in Arbroath, Buick started his career with home-town Arbroath F.C., where he stayed until 1896. In July of that year he joined Hearts, answering an advertisement from the then reigning Scottish Cup holders. He appeared infrequently as Hearts won the 1896-97 League title but became a more regular player the following season. He played in Hearts 1900-01 Scottish Cup win, where the Edinburgh side defeated Celtic 4-3 in the final and was club captain by the time the side reached the 1902-03 final, where they lost to Rangers.Buick's appearance led many commentators to consider him an unlikely defender. He measured only 5 foot 7 inches tall, had a slight stoop and his long, gangly arms earned him the nickname "spider". However, his all-action style and stamina earned him many admirers and two caps for the Scottish national team in March 1902. These came against Ireland and Wales and Buick scored in both games as Scotland won 5-1 on each occasion. The stature of his contemporary and rival for the centre-half position, Alex Raisbeck, was said to have ensured he didn't win more honours.Buick moved south to Southern Football League side Portsmouth in 1903 and was eventually joined by six former Hearts teammates. He spent eight season with Pompey, most notably helping the team to an upset victory over Manchester United in an 1906-07 FA Cup replay.

Andy McCombie

Andrew McCombie (30 June 1876 – 28 March 1952) was a Scottish international footballer who played at right back for North East England rival clubs Sunderland and Newcastle United. He won the Football League championship with both clubs, and was twice on the losing side in the FA Cup final. He went on to have a long career as a coach with Newcastle.

Arthur Spear

Arthur Spear (1883 – 12 December 1946) was an English professional association football player in the years prior to the First World War. He made over 130 appearances in The Football League.

Bill Forster (footballer)

Bill Forster (born William Forster, 1882) was an English professional footballer, who played for Sheffield United, Crystal Palace and Grimsby Town.

Billy Wedlock

William John Wedlock (28 October 1880 – 25 January 1965), also known as "Fatty" or the "India Rubber Man", was a footballer who played for Bristol City in 1900–01 and from 1905 until his retirement in 1921. Between 1901 and 1905 he played for Aberdare. He was a centre-half whose his short and stout stature belied his natural talent. He won 26 England caps between 1907 and 1914, his only rival for the centre-half position being Charlie Roberts of Manchester United, his opposite number in the 1909 FA Cup Final. The East End at Ashton Gate Stadium was named the Wedlock Stand in his honour, before being demolished in 2014 as part of the Ashton Gate Stadium redevelopment. Wedlock's pub (now demolished) opposite the ground was where he lived and worked for 43 years. Folk singer Fred Wedlock was Billy's grandson.

David Calderhead

David Calderhead (19 June 1864 – 9 January 1938) was a Scottish football player and manager. Calderhead played for Queen of the South Wanderers, Notts County and Lincoln City. He also represented Scotland once, in 1889. He then became a manager, working for Lincoln City (1900–1907) and Chelsea (1907–1933).

Frank Hilton

Frank Hilton (born 1884, died unknown) was an English professional association football player in the years prior to the First World War. He made over 110 appearances in The Football League and one appearance for the Football League representative team in 1907.

Harry Thickitt

Henry Thickitt (or Thickett) (1872 – 15 November 1920) was a professional footballer and Manager. Born in Hexthorpe, Doncaster he played as a defender primarily for Sheffield United with whom he won the First Division once, the FA Cup twice and gained two caps for England. He then went on to achieve relative success as the manager of Bristol City.

Horace Astley

Horace Astley (born 1882) was an English footballer who played for Crystal Palace as a forward.

Jimmy Ashcroft

James Ashcroft (12 September 1878 – 9 April 1943) was an English football goalkeeper.

Born in Liverpool, Ashcroft began his career with several local sides, briefly signing as an amateur with Everton, before moving south and joining Southern League side Gravesend United in 1899. He was quickly spotted by nearby Woolwich Arsenal of the Football League, and signed as a professional for the Gunners in June 1900.

Ashcroft immediately made his debut against Burton Swifts on 15 September 1900; although Arsenal lost 1–0, Ashcroft kept his place and remained an ever-present for that season, and the following one. In 1901–02, Ashcroft kept 17 clean sheets in 34 League matches for Woolwich Arsenal, including six clean sheets in a row (a club record, that has only been equalled once since, by Alex Manninger in 1998); Arsenal finished fourth in the Second Division that season, and third the season after that.

Ashcroft kept 20 clean sheets in 1903–04, a club record, as Arsenal gained promotion to the First Division, and in 1904–05 set a then record of 154 consecutive matches for the club (since only bettered by Tom Parker). Arsenal reached the 1905–06 and 1906–07 FA Cup semi-finals twice with Ashcroft in goal, and he also won three caps for England, playing in all three of England's British Home Championship matches of 1906 (England won twice and lost once, sharing the 1905–06 championship with Scotland). Ashcroft thus was Arsenal's first England international.

In all, Ashcroft played 303 first-class games in eight seasons for Arsenal. He was sold to Blackburn Rovers in the summer of 1908, in order to alleviate the club's financial problems at the time. For Rovers, he played over 120 times and reached another FA Cup semi-final in 1910–11, and won the First Division title in 1911–12. In 1913 he was released by Blackburn on a free transfer; unable to find a club he was forced to place an advert in The Athletic News, which read:

J Ashcroft, goalkeeper, Blackburn Rovers, open for engagement; free transfer – Willaston Road, Walton, Liverpool.Ashcroft eventually signed for Tranmere Rovers, where he played for one more season before World War I intervened and all first-class football was halted; he seems to have retired from playing football at that point. He died in 1943, aged 64.

Joe Cottle

Joseph Richard Cottle (4 June 1886 – 3 February 1958) was an England international footballer, who played as a left back prior to the First World War. He played over 200 Football League games for Bristol City before a broken leg halted his City career. He later joined Bristol Rovers.

Newcastle United F.C. 0–1 Crystal Palace F.C. (1907)

Newcastle United v Crystal Palace was a football match played on 12 January 1907 at St James' Park, Newcastle. The match was an FA Cup First Round match. The result, a 1–0 victory for Crystal Palace, is notable for being one of the greatest shocks of all time in the history of the FA Cup.The home team, Newcastle United, played in the Football League First Division, the highest level of English football at that time. They had been in the FA Cup final for the previous two seasons and had won the First Division title as recently as 1904–05. They had also maintained an unbeaten at home record which had started on 25 November 1905. Crystal Palace were a non-league side formed the previous year who were playing in the Southern League.

Pat Hanlin

Patrick Hanlin (born 1882, died 22 March 1965) was a Scottish junior international and Scottish professional association football player in the years prior to the First World War. He made over 160 appearances in The Football League.

Richard Hood

Richard Parker Hood (10 June 1881 – 22 November 1954) was an English professional footballer who made 130 appearances in the Football League playing for Lincoln City. He played as a centre half or right back.

Ronald Orr

Ronald Orr (6 August 1876 – 21 March 1924) was a Scottish footballer, who played for Newcastle United and Liverpool amongst others in the early 20th century. He played four times for Scotland between 1900 and 1904, scoring one goal.

Sam Gilligan

Samuel Anderson Gilligan (born 18 January 1882, date of death unknown) was a Scottish professional association football player in the years prior to the First World War. He made over 200 appearances in The Football League and a handful of appearances in the Scottish Football League.

Tom Brittleton

John Thomas "Tom" Brittleton (23 April 1882 – 22 February 1955) was a professional footballer. He was one of the pioneers of the long throw-in. With a career spanning over 30 years, including 24 seasons in the Football League, he is the oldest person to play for Sheffield Wednesday in a competitive game.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football and Southern Leagues
Lower leagues
Related to national team
190607 in European football
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.