1904–05 FA Cup

The FA Cup 1904–05 was the 34th staging of the world's oldest association football competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (more usually known as the FA Cup). Aston Villa won the competition for the fourth time, beating Newcastle United 2–0 in the final at Crystal Palace, through two goals scored by Harry Hampton. The man of the match was Aston Villa's prolific scorer William "Billy" Garraty who was born only a few miles from the now Villa Park.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held at neutral venues until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1904–05 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsManchester City
ChampionsAston Villa (4th title)
Runners-upNewcastle United


The format of the FA Cup for the season had two preliminary rounds, six qualifying rounds, an intermediate round, three proper rounds, and the semi finals and final.

Round Date
Extra Preliminary Round Saturday 10 September 1904
Preliminary Round Saturday 17 September 1904
First Qualifying Round Saturday 1 October 1904
Second Qualifying Round Saturday 15 October 1904
Third Qualifying Round Saturday 29 October 1904
Fourth Qualifying Round Saturday 12 November 1904
Fifth Qualifying Round Saturday 26 November 1904
Sixth Qualifying Round Saturday 10 December 1904
Intermediate Round Saturday 14 January 1905
First Round Proper Saturday 4 February 1905
Second Round Saturday 18 February 1905
Third Round Saturday 4 March 1905
Semi Finals Saturday 25 March 1905
Final Saturday 15 April 1905

Intermediate Round

The Intermediate Round featured ten games, played between the ten winners of the Sixth Qualifying Round, and ten teams given byes. Manchester United, Bristol City, West Bromwich Albion, Burnley and Grimsby Town from the Second Division were entered automatically into this round, as were non-league Reading, Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth Argyle and Millwall.

The other Second Division sides had to gain entry to this round through the earlier qualifying rounds. Glossop, Blackpool, Burton United, Gainsborough Trinity, Leicester Fosse and Doncaster Rovers were entered at the Third Qualifying Round stage, with only Blackpool, Leicester and Gainsborough reaching the intermediate round from these. Chesterfield, Barnsley, Bradford City, Lincoln City and Burslem Port Vale were all entered at the Sixth Qualifying Round stage, with only the latter losing in that round.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 2–1 Blackpool 14 January 1905
2 Burnley 1–1 Lincoln City 14 January 1905
Replay Lincoln City 3–2 Burnley 18 January 1905
3 Grimsby Town 2–0 Gainsborough Trinity 14 January 1905
4 West Bromwich Albion 2–5 Leicester Fosse 14 January 1905
5 Brentford 1–1 Reading 14 January 1905
Replay Reading 2–0 Brentford 18 January 1905
6 Portsmouth 0–0 Chesterfield 14 January 1905
Replay Portsmouth 2–0 Chesterfield 18 January 1905
7 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–2 Bristol Rovers 14 January 1905
8 Manchester United 2–2 Fulham 14 January 1905
Replay Fulham 0–0 Manchester United 18 January 1905
Replay Manchester United 0–1 Fulham 23 January 1905
9 Plymouth Argyle 2–0 Barnsley 14 January 1905
10 Bradford City 1–4 Millwall 14 January 1905

First round proper

The First Round Proper contained sixteen ties between 32 teams. The 18 First Division sides were given a bye to this round, as were Liverpool and Bolton Wanderers from the Second Division, and non-league Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur. They joined the ten teams who won in the intermediate round.

The matches were played on Saturday, 4 February 1905. Seven matches were drawn, with the replays taking place in the following midweek fixture. Two of these went to a second replay the following week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bury 1–0 Notts County 4 February 1905
2 Liverpool 1–1 Everton 4 February 1905
Replay Everton 2–1 Liverpool 8 February 1905
3 Southampton 3–1 Millwall Athletic 4 February 1905
4 Stoke 2–0 Grimsby Town 4 February 1905
5 Nottingham Forest 2–0 Sheffield United 4 February 1905
6 Blackburn Rovers 1–2 The Wednesday 4 February 1905
7 Aston Villa 5–1 Leicester Fosse 4 February 1905
8 Bolton Wanderers 1–1 Bristol Rovers 4 February 1905
Replay Bristol Rovers 0–3 Bolton Wanderers 8 February 1905
9 Middlesbrough 1–1 Tottenham Hotspur 4 February 1905
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 1–0 Middlesbrough 9 February 1905
10 Sunderland 1–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 4 February 1905
Replay Wolverhampton Wanderers 1–0 Sunderland 8 February 1905
11 Derby County 0–2 Preston North End 4 February 1905
12 Lincoln City 1–2 Manchester City 4 February 1905
13 Small Heath 0–2 Portsmouth 4 February 1905
14 Woolwich Arsenal 0–0 Bristol City 4 February 1905
Replay Bristol City 1–0 Woolwich Arsenal 8 February 1905
15 Newcastle United 1–1 Plymouth Argyle 4 February 1905
Replay Plymouth Argyle 1–1 Newcastle United 8 February 1905
Replay Newcastle United 2–0 Plymouth Argyle 13 February 1905
16 Fulham 0–0 Reading 4 February 1905
Replay Reading 0–0 Fulham 8 February 1905
Replay Fulham 1–0 Reading 13 February 1905

Second round proper

The eight second-round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 18 February 1905. There were two replays, played in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 0–0 Preston North End 18 February 1905
Replay Preston North End 1–0 Bristol City 23 February 1905
2 Stoke 0–4 Everton 18 February 1905
3 Aston Villa 3–2 Bury 18 February 1905
4 The Wednesday 2–1 Portsmouth 18 February 1905
5 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2–3 Southampton 18 February 1905
6 Tottenham Hotspur 1–1 Newcastle United 18 February 1905
Replay Newcastle United 4–0 Tottenham Hotspur 22 February 1905
7 Manchester City 1–2 Bolton Wanderers 18 February 1905
8 Fulham 1–0 Nottingham Forest 18 February 1905

Third round proper

The four quarter final matches were scheduled for Saturday, 4 March 1905. The Preston North End – The Wednesday game was drawn, and replayed on 9 March.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Preston North End 1–1 The Wednesday 4 March 1905
Replay The Wednesday 3–0 Preston North End 9 March 1905
2 Aston Villa 5–0 Fulham 4 March 1905
3 Bolton Wanderers 0–2 Newcastle United 4 March 1905
4 Everton 4–0 Southampton 4 March 1905

Semi finals

The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 25 March 1905. Aston Villa's match with Everton was drawn and thus replayed four days later. Aston Villa won and went on to meet Newcastle United in the final.

Aston Villa1–1Everton
Aston Villa2–1Everton
Newcastle United1–0The Wednesday


The Final was contested by Aston Villa and Newcastle United at Crystal Palace. Aston Villa won 2–0, with Harry Hampton scoring both goals.

Match details

Aston Villa2 – 0Newcastle United
Hampton Goal 2' Goal 76'
Aston Villa
Newcastle United [2]

See also


  1. ^ "Sporting Chronicle - 1905 FA Cup Final". Archived from the original on 2008-10-30. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
  2. ^ "FA Cup Final kits, 1900-1909". Archived from the original on 2008-09-25. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
1904–05 Manchester United F.C. season

The 1904–05 season was Manchester United's 13th season in the Football League. United finished 3rd in the Second Division. The Reds also competed in the FA Cup, but failed to get past the Intermediate Round stage, losing to Fulham.

1904–05 Small Heath F.C. season

The 1904–05 Football League season was Small Heath Football Club's 13th in the Football League and their 5th in the First Division. In third position in the 18-team league, only one point behind the leaders, with eight matches remaining, they gained only four points from the sixteen available, and finished seventh. They also took part in the 1904–05 FA Cup, entering at the first round proper and losing to Portsmouth in that round. In locally organised competition, they won the Birmingham Senior Cup for the first time, defeating West Bromwich Albion by seven goals to two. After this season, the club entered a primarily reserve team for this competition, which had previously not been permitted.

Nineteen players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were nine different goalscorers. Goalkeeper Nat Robinson, full-back Frank Stokes and forward Benny Green were all ever-present over the 35-match season. Billy Jones was leading scorer with 16 goals, all of which came in the league.

At an Extraordinary General Meeting held in March 1905, it was proposed that, Small Heath being the only major football club in the city since Birmingham St George's had folded in 1892, the club should be renamed Birmingham City F.C. The shareholders were not in favour, though they were prepared to go as far as plain Birmingham Football Club instead. Even this was a step too far for some; one reporter referred to "the Small Heath club now masquerading as Birmingham".Events surrounding the February 1905 match with Aston Villa highlighted the Coventry Road ground's inadequacies. The official attendance was given as 28,000, though with the gates closed before kick-off, thousands scaled walls or forced entrances in order to gain admission, and the actual attendance was estimated at anything up to 35,000. The Birmingham Daily Mail reported "a constant stream of vehicles to the ground, while the trams were disgorging their freights at Muntz Street every two or three minutes." Inside, "the swaying of the mass of spectators rendered the placing of additional supports against the barriers a necessary precaution", and children were passed overhead and placed on the pitch for their own safety. The following Monday the same newspaper commented that had space been available, another ten or fifteen thousand spectators might well have attended, as "hundreds of people found the doors closed against them, and probably there were thousands who would not go to the ground in view of the inevitable crush." The club's landlords would neither sell the freehold of the ground nor allow its expansion, so the directors began planning to move to a new home.

1905 FA Cup Final

The 1905 FA Cup Final was contested by Aston Villa and Newcastle United at Crystal Palace. Aston Villa were victorious, winning 2–0, with Harry Hampton scoring both goals.

Dick Pudan

Albert Ernest "Dick" Pudan (1881–1957) was a professional footballer, who played as a full-back in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. During his career he made most appearances for Bristol Rovers, but also featured for West Ham United, Newcastle United and Leicester Fosse. He also managed Huddersfield Town between 1910 and 1912.

Harold Boddington

Harold Boddington (active 1903–05) was an English footballer who played in the Football League as an outside left for Middlesbrough in 1903–04. He also played non-league football for Darlington.Boddington made his only League appearance for Middlesbrough on 28 March 1904 in a 3–0 defeat away to Sheffield United in the First Division. He played and scored for Darlington of the Northern League in the 1904–05 FA Cup.

Harry Douglas (English footballer)

Harry Douglas (active 1900s) was an English football outside right who played in the Football League for Middlesbrough and in non-league football for South Bank, Darlington and Bishop Auckland.

Harry Hampton (footballer, born 1885)

Joseph Harry Hampton (21 April 1885 – 15 March 1963) was an English footballer who was born in Wellington, Shropshire. To this day Hampton remains Aston Villa's all-time leading goalscorer in the League.

List of Newcastle United F.C. managers

Newcastle United F.C. is an English football club based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, North East England. Since 1930, there have been thirty-three official managers, with the current incumbent, Rafael Benítez, appointed on 11 March 2016.

Statistically, the club's most successful manager is Chris Hughton, with a win percentage of 59.38. The club's longest-serving manager was Stan Seymour, who had three spells managing the club from 1939 to 1958, totalling almost fourteen years, while the most successful manager was Joe Harvey, who won five trophies (albeit that four were minor trophies) and also had the longest uninterrupted spell as manager, lasting thirteen years from 1962 to 1975. All but three of the club's managers – Tom Mather, Norman Smith and Osvaldo Ardiles – have managed the club in the top-flight.

Tom Watson (football manager)

Tom Watson (April 1859 – 6 May 1915) was an English football manager who managed Sunderland A.F.C. and Liverpool F.C. around the turn of the 20th century. In winning the league title with both clubs he was the first manager to do so with two clubs.

Wolverton A.F.C.

Wolverton Association Football Club, often known simply as Wolverton, was an English football team representing the town of Wolverton (and, for a time, Milton Keynes). The club's motto was "In Omnia Paratus" (lit: "In all things prepared"). The club was wound up in 1992. Until 2007, its former home ground, Wolverton Park had what was believed to be the oldest football stand in the United Kingdom. The ground and immediate area has since been redeveloped into a housing area, Wolverton Park housing development. In November 2012, the football stand structure is still in place, but it has been stripped to act as an ornamental feature on the edge of the community park which has been built on top of the old football pitch.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football and Southern Leagues
Lower leagues
Related to national team
190405 in European football
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.