1899–1900 FA Cup

The 1899–1900 FA Cup was the 29th staging of the world's oldest association football competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (more usually known as the FA Cup), and the last to be held fully in the 19th Century. The cup was won by Bury, who defeated Southampton 4–0 in the final of the competition, played at Crystal Palace in London.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held at neutral venues until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1899–1900 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsSheffield United
ChampionsBury (1st title)


The format of the FA Cup for the season had a preliminary round, five qualifying rounds, three proper rounds, and the semi finals and final.

Round Date
Preliminary Round Saturday 16 September 1899
First Qualifying Round Saturday 30 September 1899
Second Qualifying Round Saturday 14 October 1899
Third Qualifying Round Saturday 28 October 1899
Fourth Qualifying Round Saturday 18 November 1899
Fifth Qualifying Round Saturday 9 December 1899
First Round Proper Saturday 27 January 1900
Second Round Saturday 10 February 1900
Third Round Saturday 24 February 1900
Semi Finals Saturday 24 March 1900
Final Saturday 21 April 1900

First round proper

The First Round Proper contained sixteen ties between 32 teams. 17 of the 18 First Division sides were given a bye to this round, as were The Wednesday and Bolton Wanderers from the Second Division, and non-league Southampton, Bristol City and Tottenham Hotspur. Glossop, along with all the other Second Division sides, were entered into the Third Qualifying Round. Of those sides, only Grimsby Town, Walsall and Leicester Fosse qualified to the FA Cup Proper. Seven non-league sides also qualified.

The matches were played on Saturday, 27 January 1900. Six matches were drawn, with the replays taking place in the following midweek fixture. One match went to a second replay, played the following week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Jarrow 0–2 Millwall Athletic 27 January 1900
2 Bristol City 2–1 Stalybridge Rovers 27 January 1900
3 Burnley 0–1 Bury 27 January 1900
4 Preston North End 1–0 Tottenham Hotspur 27 January 1900
5 Southampton 3–0 Everton 27 January 1900
6 Stoke 0–0 Liverpool 27 January 1900
Replay Liverpool 1–0 Stoke 1 February 1900
7 Walsall 1–1 West Bromwich Albion 27 January 1900
Replay West Bromwich Albion 6–1 Walsall 1 February 1900
8 Notts County 6–0 Chorley 27 January 1900
9 Nottingham Forest 3–0 Grimsby Town 27 January 1900
10 The Wednesday 1–0 Bolton Wanderers 27 January 1900
11 Derby County 2–2 Sunderland 27 January 1900
Replay Sunderland 3–0 Derby County 31 January 1900
12 Sheffield United 1–0 Leicester Fosse 27 January 1900
13 Newcastle United 2–1 Reading 27 January 1900
14 Manchester City 1–1 Aston Villa 27 January 1900
Replay Aston Villa 3–0 Manchester City 31 January 1900
15 Queens Park Rangers 1–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 27 January 1900
Replay Wolverhampton Wanderers 0–1 Queens Park Rangers 31 January 1900
16 Portsmouth 0–0 Blackburn Rovers 27 January 1900
Replay Blackburn Rovers 1–1 Portsmouth 1 February 1900
Replay Blackburn Rovers 5–0 Portsmouth 5 February 1900

Second round proper

The eight second-round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 10 February 1900, although only three games were played on this date. The other five games were played the following Saturday. There were three replays, played in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 1–1 West Bromwich Albion 17 February 1900
Replay West Bromwich Albion 2–1 Liverpool 21 February 1900
2 Preston North End 1–0 Blackburn Rovers 17 February 1900
3 Southampton 4–1 Newcastle United 17 February 1900
4 Notts County 0–0 Bury 10 February 1900
Replay Bury 2–0 Notts County 14 February 1900
5 Nottingham Forest 3–0 Sunderland 10 February 1900
6 Aston Villa 5–1 Bristol City 10 February 1900
7 Sheffield United 1–1 The Wednesday 17 February 1900
Replay The Wednesday 0–2 Sheffield United 19 February 1900
8 Queens Park Rangers 0–2 Millwall Athletic 17 February 1900

The Southampton v. Newcastle United match was originally played on 10 February but was abandoned after 55 minutes due to a heavy snowstorm.[1]

Third round proper

The four quarter final matches were scheduled for Saturday, 24 February 1900. Three of the four matches were replayed in the following midweek fixture, with the Millwall Athletic – Aston Villa match going to a second replay the following week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Preston North End 0–0 Nottingham Forest 24 February 1900
Replay Nottingham Forest 1–0 Preston North End 28 February 1900
2 Southampton 2–1 West Bromwich Albion 24 February 1900
3 Sheffield United 2–2 Bury 24 February 1900
Replay Bury 2–0 Sheffield United 1 March 1900
4 Millwall Athletic 1–1 Aston Villa 24 February 1900
Replay Aston Villa 0–0 Millwall Athletic 28 February 1900
Replay Millwall Athletic 2–1 Aston Villa 5 March 1900[2]

Semi finals

The semi-final matches were both played on Saturday, 24 April 1900. Both matches went to replays, played the following Wednesday or Thursday. Bury and Southampton came through the semi-finals to meet in the final at Crystal Palace.

Bury1–1Nottingham Forest
Bury3–2Nottingham Forest
Southampton0–0Millwall Athletic
Southampton3–0Millwall Athletic


The final took place on Saturday, 21 April 1900 at Crystal Palace. Just under 69,000 supporters attended the match. Jasper McLuckie opened the scoring for Bury after about 9 minutes. Willie Wood doubled the advantage seven minutes later, before McLuckie added a third seven minutes after that. John Plant scored the fourth and final goal in the eightieth minute, to cap a good victory for the northern side.

Match details

Bury4 – 0Southampton
McLuckie Goal 9' Goal 23'
Wood Goal 16'
Plant Goal 80'
Southampton [5]

See also


  1. ^ Chalk, Gary; Holley, Duncan (1987). Saints – A complete record. Breedon Books. p. 26. ISBN 0-907969-22-4.
  2. ^ Porter, Steve. "Aston Villa 1-2 Millwall Athletic". www.thegiantkillers.co.uk. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
  3. ^ Match report at fa-cupfinals.co.uk
  4. ^ Sporting Chronicle - 1900 FA Cup Final
  5. ^ "FA Cup Final kits, 1900-1909". Archived from the original on 2008-09-25. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
1899–1900 Small Heath F.C. season

The 1899–1900 Football League season was Small Heath Football Club's eighth in the Football League and their sixth in the Second Division. They spent most of the season in the top four in the 18-team division, but rarely in the top two, eventually finishing in third place, six points behind the promotion positions. They also took part in the 1899–1900 FA Cup, entering at the third qualifying round and losing to Walsall after a replay in the fifth qualifying round. In local cup competitions, they were beaten by Wolverhampton Wanderers in the first round of both the Birmingham and Staffordshire Cups, and by Walsall in the semi-final of the Lord Mayor of Birmingham's Charity Cup.

Twenty-one players represented the club in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were fifteen different goalscorers. Bob McRoberts was the top scorer with 24 goals, of which 19 came in league matches. No other player reached double figures. McRoberts, goalkeeper Nat Robinson and full-back Arthur Archer played in every match. Off the field, the club made a significant financial loss over the season. The directors made it clear they could not continue funding a loss-making enterprise, and suggested that a reduction in players' wages was the only course of action.

1900 FA Cup Final

The 1900 FA Cup Final was contested at Crystal Palace by Bury and Southampton, neither of whom had reached the final before. Bury won 4–0, with goals by Jasper McLuckie (2), Willie Wood and John Plant. This final was the last of the 19th century and the first victory in the FA Cup for Bury. Although Southampton would reach the final again two years later, they would not win the cup until 1976.

Arthur Millar (footballer)

Arthur Thomson Millar (26 January 1877 – 1929) was a Scottish professional footballer who played as a wing half in the English Football League for Aston Villa. He also played in the Southern League for Millwall Athletic and Brighton & Hove Albion.

Charlie Athersmith

William Charles Athersmith Harper (10 May 1872 – 18 September 1910), known as Charlie Athersmith, was an English professional footballer who played as a winger. He played the majority of his club career at Aston Villa, making 307 appearances and scoring 85 goals, and also made 106 appearances for Small Heath. He was capped 12 times for England.

Harry Thickitt

Henry Thickitt (or Thickett) (1872 – 15 November 1920) was a professional footballer and Manager. Born in Hexthorpe, Doncaster he played as a defender primarily for Sheffield United with whom he won the First Division once, the FA Cup twice and gained two caps for England. He then went on to achieve relative success as the manager of Bristol City.

Howard Spencer

Howard Spencer (23 August 1875 – 14 January 1940) was an English professional footballer. Often referred to as the "prince of full-backs" due to his sportsmanship, Spencer joined Aston Villa in 1892 having played for several clubs at amateur level. He made his professional debut in October 1894 at the age of 18 and would go on to become a first-team regular for the club. In his 13 years as a senior player, he helped the side to three First Division championships and three FA Cup victories as well as earning six caps at international level for England.

Jimmy Massey (footballer)

James Massey (26 January 1869 – 2 December 1960) was an English footballer who played as goalkeeper for Denaby United, Mexborough, Doncaster Rovers and The Wednesday at the turn of the 19th century.

Born in Monmore Green, Wolverhampton Massey moved to Yorkshire where he played for Denaby and then Mexborough before signing for Doncaster Rovers in 1890, who were then playing in the Midland Football Alliance League. Two days after winning the Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup on 21 March 1891 against Sheffield United, Massey represented the Sheffield and Hallamshire F.A. in a match against the Berks and Bucks F.A., something he did on other occasions too.Massey moved to The Wednesday in 1893 where he played in the Football League until 1903. One of the highlights of his career was the victory in the 1896 FA Cup Final where Wednesday beat Wolverhampton Wanderers 2−1 at Crystal Palace.In 1902 he returned to his original club Denaby United as an amateur whilst working at the local pit, he noted to the media at the time of joining Denaby that he had not played football for over two years. He continued playing for local clubs, including South Kirkby Colliery, until he lost an eye in a mining accident.His grandson Roy Massey played League football as a centre forward for several clubs in the 1960s.

Llandudno Swifts F.C.

Llandudno Swifts were a football club from Llandudno who existed during the late Victorian era. The club were first mentioned in 1889. They competed in the Combination, North Wales Coast League, Welsh Cup, FA Cup and North Wales Coast Cup. The club was wound up in 1901 after a period of professionalism.

Following the demise of Llandudno Swifts, a new team Llandudno Amateurs were formed.

Millwall F.C.

Millwall Football Club () is a professional football club in Bermondsey, South East London, England. The team competes in The Championship, the second tier of English football. Founded as Millwall Rovers in 1885, the club has retained its name despite having last played in the Millwall area of the Isle of Dogs in 1910. From then until 1993 the club played at what is now called The Old Den in New Cross, before moving to its current home stadium nearby, called The Den. The traditional club crest is a lion rampant, referred to in the team's nickname 'The Lions'. Millwall's traditional kit consists of blue shirts, white shorts and blue socks.

In Millwall's 92 seasons in the Football League from 1920–21 to 2018-19, the club have been promoted eleven times (five times as champions) and relegated nine times. They have spent the majority of their existence yo-yoing between the second and third tier of the Football League. The team spent two seasons in the top flight between 1988 and 1990, in which the club achieved its highest ever finish of tenth place in the First Division. In 2004, the team reached the FA Cup final and qualified for the UEFA Cup, playing in Europe for the first time in their history. The club has reached the FA Cup semi-finals in 1900, 1903, 1937, 2013 and the League Cup quarter-finals in 1974, 1977 and 1995. Millwall have also won two League One playoff finals in 2010 and 2017, the Football League Group Cup in 1983, and finished runners-up in the Football League Trophy in 1999.

In the media, Millwall's supporters have often been associated with hooliganism, with numerous films having been made fictionalising their notoriety. The fans are renowned for their chant "No one likes us, we don't care". Millwall have a long-standing rivalry with West Ham United. The local derby between the two sides has been contested almost a hundred times since 1899. The club also share a rivalry with Leeds United, and contest the South London derby with local rivals Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic.

Millwall F.C.–West Ham United F.C. rivalry

The rivalry between Millwall and West Ham United is one of the longest-standing and most bitter in English football. The two teams, then known as Millwall Athletic and Thames Ironworks, both originated in the East End of London, and were located under three miles apart. They first played each other in the 1899–1900 FA Cup. The match was historically known as the Dockers derby, as both sets of supporters were predominantly dockers at shipyards on either side of the River Thames. Consequently, each set of fans worked for rival firms who were competing for the same business; this intensified the tension between the teams. In 1910, Millwall moved south of the River Thames to New Cross and the teams were no longer East London neighbours. Both sides have relocated since, but remain just under four miles apart. Millwall moved to The Den in Bermondsey in 1993 and West Ham to the London Stadium in Stratford in 2016.

Millwall and West Ham have played each other 99 times competitively: Millwall have won 38, West Ham 34 and 27 have ended in a draw. Before the First World War the teams met 60 times in just 16 years, mostly in the Southern and Western Football Leagues. They have played a total of 39 times in league and cup competitions since 1916. The teams have usually competed in different divisions, spending only 12 seasons in the same tier of the Football League. Even so, the derbies have retained their passion and both sets of supporters still consider the other club their main rival. They last played against each other in the 2011–12 Championship. As of the 2019–20 season, West Ham play in the Premier League and Millwall play in the Championship, the tier below.

The rivalry between the teams is deeply embedded in British football hooliganism lore and culture, and has been depicted in films that focused specifically on the animosity between the clubs' two hooligan firms, the Inter City Firm and the Millwall Bushwackers. Violence has occurred sporadically between the fans, once resulting in the death of a Millwall supporter in 1976. Most recently in the 2009 Upton Park riot, widespread disorder between supporters in and around West Ham's Upton Park ground led to numerous injuries and a Millwall fan being stabbed before the match began. In the last two games between the sides in the 2011–12 season, the Metropolitan Police implemented London-wide operations to ensure the games were trouble-free.

Peter Boyle (footballer, born 1876)

Peter Boyle (26 April 1876 – 24 June 1939) was an Irish footballer and manager. Born in Carlingford in Ireland Boyle was a left back whose most successful playing spell was with Sheffield United with whom he reached the FA Cup Final on three occasions, playing on the winning side on two of them. He also played for Sunderland and Motherwell as well as representing Ireland on five occasions. He later had a brief spell as player-manager with York City in 1912.

Steel City derby

The Steel City Derby (or Sheffield Derby) is a local derby that takes place between Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday, the two professional football league teams based in the city of Sheffield, England. It is widely considered to be one of the biggest derby matches in English football.Sheffield United and Wednesday have one of the most fierce football rivalries in football history, the teams have met competitively a total of 131 times, with United leading the meetings by 46 wins to Wednesday's 42 wins. The latest Steel City Derby was played on 4 March 2019, which ended in a goalless draw at Hillsborough.

Steve Smith (footballer, born 1874)

Stephen Smith (14 January 1874 – 19 May 1935) was an England international football player in the late 19th century.

Willie Layton

William Layton (1875–1944) was an English footballer who played as a full back in the late 1890s and early 1900s. Born in Gornal, Staffordshire, he played for Blackwell Colliery and Chesterfield Town before joining The Wednesday (later known as Sheffield Wednesday) during the 1897–98 season. In almost 12 years with The Wednesday, Layton made more than 300 appearances in The Football League and was part of the team that won the First Division title in 1902–03 and 1903–04. He was also in the team that won the FA Cup in 1906–07 and was once selected to play in a Football League XI. He made his final appearance for the club early in the 1909–10 season and later left to join Whitwell St Lawrence.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football and Southern Leagues
Lower leagues
Related to national team
18991900 in European football
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.