1898–99 FA Cup

The 1898–1899 FA Cup was the 28th season of the world's oldest association football competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (more usually known as the FA Cup). The cup was won by Sheffield United, who defeated Derby County 4–1 in the final of the competition, played at Crystal Palace in London.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held at neutral venues until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1898–99 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsNottingham Forest
ChampionsSheffield United
(1st title)
Runners-upDerby County


The format of the FA Cup for the season had a preliminary round, five qualifying rounds, three proper rounds, and the semi finals and final.

Round Date
Preliminary Round Saturday 24 September 1898
First Round Qualifying Saturday 1 October 1898
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 15 October 1898
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 29 October 1898
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 19 November 1898
Fifth Round Qualifying Saturday 10 December 1899
First Round Proper Saturday 28 January 1899
Second Round Proper Saturday 11 February 1899
Third Round Proper Saturday 25 February 1899
Semi-Finals Saturday 18 March 1899
Final Saturday 15 April 1899

First round proper

The First Round Proper contained sixteen ties between 32 teams. The 18 First Division sides were given a bye to this round, as were Newton Heath, Woolwich Arsenal and Manchester City from the Second Division, and non-league Southampton. Most of the other Second Division sides were entered into the Third Qualifying Round, with the exceptions of Barnsley, who started in the Second Qualifying Round, and Burton Swifts, Blackpool and Loughborough who were placed in the First Qualifying Round. Of those sides, only Grimsby Town, Small Heath and Glossop North End qualified to the FA Cup Proper. Seven non-league sides also qualified.

The matches were played on Saturday, 28 January 1899. Four matches were drawn, with the replays taking place in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 2–4 Sunderland 28 January 1899
2 Burnley 2–2 Sheffield United 28 January 1899
Replay Sheffield United 2–1 Burnley 2 February 1899
3 Liverpool 2–0 Blackburn Rovers 28 January 1899
4 Preston North End 7–0 Grimsby Town 28 January 1899
5 Notts County 2–0 Kettering 28 January 1899
6 Nottingham Forest 2–1 Aston Villa 28 January 1899
7 The Wednesday 2–2 Stoke 28 January 1899
Replay Stoke 2–0 The Wednesday 2 February 1899
8 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0–0 Bolton Wanderers 28 January 1899
Replay Bolton Wanderers 0–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 February 1899
9 West Bromwich Albion 8–0 South Shore 28 January 1899
10 Everton 3–1 Jarrow 28 January 1899
11 Small Heath 3–2 Manchester City 28 January 1899
12 Heanor Town 0–3 Bury 28 January 1899
13 Woolwich Arsenal 0–6 Derby County 28 January 1899
14 New Brompton 0–1 Southampton 28 January 1899
15 Tottenham Hotspur 1–1 Newton Heath 28 January 1899
Replay Newton Heath 3–5 Tottenham Hotspur 1 February 1899
16 Glossop 0–1 Newcastle United 28 January 1899

Second Round Proper

The eight Second Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 11 February 1899, although only three games were played on this date. The other five games were played the following Saturday. There were three replays, played in the following midweek fixture.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 3–1 Newcastle United 11 February 1899
2 Preston North End 2–2 Sheffield United 11 February 1899
Replay Sheffield United 2–1 Preston North End 16 February 1899
3 Stoke 2–2 Small Heath 11 February 1899
Replay Small Heath 1–2 Stoke 15 February 1899
4 Notts County 0–1 Southampton 11 February 1899
5 West Bromwich Albion 2–1 Bury 11 February 1899
6 Derby County 2–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 11 February 1899
7 Everton 0–1 Nottingham Forest 11 February 1899
8 Tottenham Hotspur 2–1 Sunderland 11 February 1899

Third round proper

The four Third Round matches were scheduled for Saturday, 25 February 1899. There were no replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Southampton 1–2 Derby County 25 February 1899
2 Stoke 4–1 Tottenham Hotspur 25 February 1899
3 Nottingham Forest 0–1 Sheffield United 25 February 1899
4 West Bromwich Albion 0–2 Liverpool 25 February 1899


The semi-final matches were both played on Saturday, 18 March 1899. The Sheffield United–Liverpool match went to a replay, played the following Thursday. The match was again replayed a week later, when Sheffield managed a 1–0 win. They went on to meet Derby County in the final at Crystal Palace.

Derby County3–1Stoke
Sheffield United2–2Liverpool
Sheffield United4–4Liverpool
Second Replay
Sheffield United1–0Liverpool


The final took place on Saturday, 15 April 1899 at Crystal Palace. Just under 74,000 supporters attended the match, a record attendance at the time. John Boag opened the scoring for Derby County after 12 minutes. Derby's lead was maintained until midway through the second half, until Sheffield struck back with three goals in ten minutes from Walter Bennett, Billy Beer and John Almond. Fred Priest scored the fourth and final goal in the eighty-ninth minute, to cap a good victory for the Yorkshire side.

Match details

Sheffield United4 – 1Derby County
Bennett Goal 60'
Beer Goal 65'
Almond Goal 69'
Priest Goal 89'
[1] Boag Goal 12'
Sheffield United
Derby County [3]

See also


  1. ^ Match report at fa-cupfinals.co.uk Archived 28 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine
  2. ^ Sporting Chronicle - 1899 FA Cup Final
  3. ^ FA Cup Final kits, 1890-1899
1898–99 Small Heath F.C. season

The 1898–99 Football League season was Small Heath's seventh in the Football League and their fifth in the Second Division. With four games of the seasons remaining, they were in fourth place, two points below the promotion positions, but a draw and three defeats in those last four games left them with an eight-place finish in the 18-team league. They also took part in the 1898–99 FA Cup, entering at the third qualifying round and progressing to the second round proper (round of 16), at which stage they were eliminated by Stoke after a replay. In local cup competitions, Small Heath reached the second round of the Birmingham Cup and Staffordshire Cup, and lost to West Bromwich Albion in the first round of the Mayor of Birmingham's Charity Cup.

Twenty-three players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were thirteen different goalscorers. Walter Abbott scored 42 goals, of which 34 were scored in the league, a season's best for the Second Division. Both totals remain as of 2012 club records. Abbott, half back Alex Leake and forward Sid Wharton each played in all 40 league and FA Cup matches over the season, and three other players missed only one such game.

1899 FA Cup Final

The 1899 FA Cup Final was contested by Sheffield United and Derby County at Crystal Palace. Sheffield United won 4–1, with four second-half goals scored by Jack Almond, Walter Bennett, Billy Beer and Fred Priest after John Boag had scored a first-half opener for County. This was Derby's second successive losing final and worse was to come in that regard in 1903 against Bury. The contest was photographed by Henry Jasper Redfern.

Billy Meredith

William Henry Meredith (30 July 1874 – 19 April 1958) was a Welsh professional footballer. He was considered one of the early superstars of football due to his performances, notably for Manchester City and Manchester United. He won each domestic trophy in the English football league and gained 48 caps for Wales, for whom he scored 11 goals and won two British Home Championship titles. His favoured position was outside right, and his key skills were dribbling, passing, crossing and shooting. A dedicated and extremely fit professional, his habit of chewing on a toothpick during games made him instantly recognisable.

In 27 seasons in the Football League from 1892 to 1924 (not including the four seasons lost to the First World War and the 1905–06 season in which he was banned for bribing an opposition player), he scored 176 goals in 740 league and cup appearances. He played for Chirk, before joining Northwich Victoria in 1892. His career took off when he signed with Manchester City in 1894 and turned professional in January 1895. He captained the team to the club's first major honour, a 1–0 victory over Bolton Wanderers in the 1904 FA Cup Final. He moved to Manchester United in May 1906 after being banned for bribing Aston Villa half-back Alex Leake £10 to lose a match. There he won the league title in 1907–08 and 1910–11, the FA Cup in 1909, as well as two FA Charity Shields. He also helped to set up the Players' Union, which was a fore-runner of the Professional Footballers' Association. He returned to Manchester City in 1921 at the age of 47 and played a further 32 games before retiring in 1924, making him the oldest ever player for City, United and Wales. He later ran the Stretford Road Hotel and helped to coach the short-lived Manchester Central.

Cowes Sports F.C.

Cowes Sports Football Club is a football club based in Cowes, Isle of Wight, England. They play in the Wessex League Premier Division. The club is affiliated to the Isle of Wight Football Association, which is a division of the Hampshire Football Association.

Cross-border derby

The Cross-border derby is a football match played between Wrexham and Chester City/Chester.

The clubs are 12 miles apart but are Welsh and English respectively, though Chester's Deva Stadium straddles the England–Wales border, and its pitch lies entirely in Wales.

Wrexham edged the English-Welsh derby with 30 victories against Chester's 26 in Football League meetings. Between 1986 and 2005, the sides were in the same division in just one season (1994–95) but they were then Football League Two opponents in the three campaigns from 2005–06 to 2007–08. In 2009–10 the sides clashed again in the Conference National after Chester followed Wrexham out of the Football League. Games between the two are usually moved to Sunday, with a 12:00 kick off, minimising time for the consumption of alcohol and the risk of the two sets of supporters clashing. In the 2012–13 season, Chester won promotion to return to the Conference Premier after a three-year absence, and played Wrexham at the Racecourse ground, in a highly anticipated derby, as this was the first since Chester re-formed as a fan owned club. All away fans had to travel to the match via coaches and police escort and were unable to travel by train, unlike most years. Despite going into the game with a poor form of recent games, Chester won the match 2–0, recording their first win of the season. The most recent meeting saw Wrexham win 2-0 in March 2018. The two teams are currently separated due to Chester's relegation from the National League at the end of the 2017-18 season which sees them play their football in the National League North, one division below Wrexham.

The Cross-border derby is often considered to be one of the biggest rivalries in the lower leagues of English football, due to the close proximity of Wrexham and Chester as they are the largest settlements in the area (North east Wales/West Cheshire) and the only clubs in that area to have played in The Football League. The Welsh-English divide also makes it unique to other football derbies in Britain, as national identity is a large part of the two teams.

Luton Town F.C.–Watford F.C. rivalry

South-eastern English football clubs Luton Town and Watford have been rivals since their respective formations in the late 19th century. The clubs are respectively from Luton, Bedfordshire, and Watford, Hertfordshire, and for this reason a match between the two teams is sometimes called a "Beds–Herts Derby". Another name occasionally used in the press is "M1 Derby", which comes from the M1 motorway, which passes both towns. The clubs, which were both founded during the 1880s, met competitively for the first time in the 1898–99 FA Cup. Following this they played each other regularly in the Southern League and The Football League until 1936–37, when Luton's promotion separated them in league competition until 1963–64. The animosity intensified during the late 1960s and the 1970s, and reached a peak during the 1980s, when both teams played in the top-flight First Division. Watford were relegated at the end of the 1987–88 season, while Luton followed four years later.

The clubs regularly played against each other in the league for six seasons during the 1990s, in the second and third tiers of English football. Since then, however, the teams have not met regularly, as Watford have played in higher divisions than Luton for 18 of the last 19 seasons, including when Luton was relegated to non-league football. Since the 1997–98 season, at the end of which Watford won promotion, there have been only two league meetings between the two teams, both of which were played during the 2005–06 season, when both teams were in the Football League Championship, English football's second level. The most recent winners in a head-to-head match were Watford, who beat Luton 2–1 at Kenilworth Road on 2 January 2006. The most recent match, played at Watford's Vicarage Road ground on 9 April 2006, ended in a 1–1 draw. During the forthcoming 2018-2019 season Watford will be competing two divisions above their rivals in the top tier of English football, the Premier League; while Luton have just been promoted into league 1, where they placed second behind Accrington Stanley with 88 points.

Since 1898, there have been 118 competitive Beds–Herts Derbies. Luton hold the superior record in these matches, with 53 victories to Watford's 36; there have been 29 draws. The most decisive result in a Luton–Watford game is Luton's 5–0 victory at Kenilworth Road, their home ground, in January 1926. There have been two incidences of 4–0, both of which have been won by the away side; in September 1929, Luton beat Watford 4–0 at Vicarage Road, and in October 1997, Watford beat Luton 4–0 at Kenilworth Road.

Peter Durber

Peter Durber (1873–1963) was an English footballer who played in the Football League for Glossop North End and Stoke. He played in the Southern League for Southampton with whom he played in the 1900 FA Cup Final, beating three First division clubs along the way.

Peter Meechan

Peter Meechan (often misspelled "Meehan") (28 February 1872 – 1915) was a Scottish professional footballer who played as a full-back. He won the English league championship in 1894–95 with Sunderland and the Scottish Football League championship with Celtic in 1895–96. He also played in the 1897 FA Cup Final for Everton and the 1900 FA Cup Final for Southampton, and made one appearance for Scotland in 1896.

Tom Wilkes (footballer)

Thomas Henry Wilkes (19 May 1874 – 1921) was an English footballer who played in the Football League for Aston Villa and Stoke.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football and Southern Leagues
Lower leagues
Related to national team
189899 in European football
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.