The United States Census of 1880 conducted by the Census Bureau during June 1880 was the tenth United States Census. It was the first time that women were permitted to be enumerators. The Superintendent of the Census was Francis Amasa Walker.
|1880 United States Census|
Seal of the United States Census Bureau
Thomas Edison in the 1880 US census
|Date taken||June 1880|
Five schedules were authorized by the 1880 Census Act, four of which were filled out by the enumerators:
Schedule 4 (Social statistics) was the responsibility of experts and special agents, rather than the enumerators. The majority of the data came from correspondence with officials of institutions providing care and treatment of certain members of the population. Experts and special agents also were employed to collect data on valuation, taxation, and indebtedness; religion and libraries; colleges, academies, and schools; newspapers and periodicals, and wages.
Special agents were also charged with collecting data on specific industries throughout the country, and included the manufactures of iron and steel; cotton, woolen, and worsted goods; silk and silk goods; chemical products and salt; coke and glass; shipbuilding; and all aspects of fisheries and mining, including the production of coal and petroleum.
Full documentation for the 1880 population census, including census forms and enumerator instructions, is available from the Integrated Public Use Microdata Series, which contains microdata.
The original census enumeration sheets were microfilmed by the Census Bureau; after which the original sheets were transferred to various state archives, libraries, or universities. The microfilmed census is available in rolls from the National Archives and Records Administration. Several organizations also host images of the microfilmed census online, along which digital indices.
Microdata from the 1880 population census are freely available through the Integrated Public Use Microdata Series. Aggregate data for small areas, together with compatible cartographic boundary files, can be downloaded from the National Historical Geographic Information System.
The 1880 census determined the resident population of the United States to be 50,189,209, an increase of 30.2 percent over the 38,555,983 persons enumerated during the 1870 Census. The mean center of United States population for 1880 was in Boone County, Kentucky.
The processing of the 1880 census data took so long (eight years) that the Census Bureau contracted Herman Hollerith to design and build a tabulating machine to be used for the next census. The 1880 census also led to the discovery of the Alabama paradox.
|X||District of Columbia ||177,624|
|01||New York||New York||1,206,299||Northeast|
|14||Washington||District of Columbia||147,293||South|
|17||Jersey City||New Jersey||120,722||Northeast|
|93||Salt Lake City||Utah||20,768||West|
Addison Courtney Gumbert (October 10, 1868 – April 23, 1925) was a pitcher for Major League Baseball in the 19th century. His brother Billy Gumbert and great nephew Harry Gumbert were also Major League Baseball players.Bill Darrah
William Lindsey "Bill" Darrah (April 7, 1876 - after 1920) was a sheep rancher and stonemason in Shoshone, Idaho known for his construction of lava rock water tanks from the 1910s to 1920s. He built water tanks ranging from approximately eight to 30 feet high and from 12 to 25 feet in diameter. His tanks were typically built with a stone foundation several feet into the ground. The walls were approximately three feet wide and built out of lava stones and lime mortar. Darrah's tanks were typically accompanied by one-story pump housesA number of Darrah's works are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, some as part of a Multiple Resource Area Thematic Group submission for Lava Rock Structures in South Central Idaho.Darrah was born in April 1876 in California. He was the son of Simon Darrah and Arzilla (Shipton) Darrah. At the time of the 1880 United States Census, he was living in Shasta, California with his parents and six siblings. His father was employed as a lumberman at the time. By 1900, Darrah had relocated to Shoshone, Idaho where he was living with his parents and four siblings. As of 1918, Darrah was living in Shoshone with his wife, Ida A. Darrah and listed his occupation as a self-employed contractor. At the time of the 1920 United States Census, he remained in Shoshone living with his wife Ida and his sister-in-law Effie Parry. His occupation was listed as a mason, and his wife as a stenographer in an abstract office.Darrah's works include:
Darrah House and Water Tank House, located northeast of Shoshone, Idaho, NRHP-listed
Ben Darrah Water Tank and Well House, located north of Shoshone, Idaho, NRHP-listed
Thomas Gooding Water Tank House, located northwest of Shoshone, Idaho, NRHP-listed
Louis Johnson Water Tank House, located west of Richfield, Idaho, NRHP-listed
Myers School, located west of Shoshone, Idaho, NRHP-listed
J. W. and Rachel Newman House and Bunkhouse, located east of Jerome, Idaho, NRHP-listed
Arthur D. Silva Water Tank, located northwest of Shoshone, Idaho, NRHP-listedBobby Cargo
Robert J. Cargo (October 1868 – April 27, 1904) was a former professional baseball shortstop who played two games for the 1892 Pittsburgh Pirates. He remained active in the minor leagues through 1903. He died of pneumonia in 1904, which he contracted during his playing career.Brownsville, Maryland
Brownsville (also Banjotown) is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Washington County, Maryland, United States, near Gapland in an area known as Pleasant Valley. Its population was 89 as of the 2010 census.Chalfant, Pennsylvania
Chalfant is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 800 at the 2010 census.The borough was named after the Chalfant family of early settlers.Churchill, Pennsylvania
Churchill is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 3,011 at the 2010 census. The town was named from the hilltop Beulah Presbyterian Church.Deering, Maine
Deering was a town in Cumberland County, Maine which was incorporated in 1871 and annexed by the neighboring City of Portland in 1899. Until 1871, the town was part of Saccarappa, which also included what is now neighboring Westbrook. In that year, the towns split with little opposition. The 1880 United States Census counted 4,324 residents of the newly formed town. In 1892, Deering was incorporated as a city. In 1899, Deering was annexed by Portland, becoming the northern neighborhoods of the city.Edgeworth, Pennsylvania
Edgeworth is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, along the Ohio River approximately 14 miles (22.5 km) northwest of Pittsburgh. The population was 1,680 at the 2010 census.Etna, Pennsylvania
Etna is a borough in Allegheny County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, along the Allegheny River, opposite Pittsburgh. Etna was named after the volcano Mount Etna, an allusion to blast furnaces, steel mills, galvanized-pipe works, and other manufacturers located there. In 1900, 5,384 people lived in Etna. In 1910, 5,830 lived there, and in 1940, 7,223 lived there. The population was 3,451 at the 2010 census.Hampton Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Hampton Township is a township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 18,363 at the 2010 census.Kijik, Alaska
Kijik is a ghost town in Lake and Peninsula Borough, Alaska, United States. An Athabascan village that was established on the shores of Lake Clark in the Alaska Range, its population was recorded at 91 in the 1880 United States Census and declined thereafter, falling to approximately 25 individuals by 1904. Today, the village has been abandoned. The ghost town is located within the bounds of Lake Clark National Park and Preserve.
The historic portion of the village was the subject of archaeological and ethnological research in the 1960s. Interviews with Dena'ina elders in Nondalton established that the people of Kijik relocated to Old Nondalton (not far from present-day Nondalton) in the early 19th century, probably to be closer to trading posts and the canneries of Bristol Bay. A survey expedition that visited the site in 1909 reported it to be abandoned. A major archaeological excavation of the historic village took place in 1966, exposing twelve foundational remnants of log houses (many of the houses having apparently been moved to Old Nondalton at the time of the relocation), and two of what appeared to be larger communal structures.In 1979, twelve acres of the village site were added to the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district. A much larger area, encompassing a significant number of archaeological sites related to the habitation and use of the area from at least the 12th century forward, was designated a National Historic Landmark District in 1994, for the unique concentration of sites related to the inland Dena'ina people.The community was known by many other names than "Kijik" during its history, including "Lake Clark Village", "Nijik", "Nikhkak", "Nikhak", and "Old Keegik". Its current name has been spelled in a wide variety of ways, including "Keechik", "Keeghik", "Keejik", "Keggik", "Keygik", "Kichak", "Kichik", "Kilchik", and "Kilchikh".Naknek Lake
Naknek Lake is a lake in southern Alaska, near the base of the Alaska Peninsula. Located in Katmai National Park and Preserve, the lake is 40 miles (64 km) long and three to eight miles (4.8 to 12.9 km) wide, the largest lake in the park The lake drains west into Bristol Bay through the Naknek River. The elevation of the lake has lowered over the past 5,000 years as it has cut through a glacial moraine, separating Naknek Lake and Brooks Lake and creating Brooks Falls about 3500 years ago.
The earliest Russian explorer reported the lake's name as Naknek, but a later one said its name was "Akulogak". Ivan Petrof named the lake Lake Walker, for Francis Amasa Walker, Superintendent of the 1880 United States census.
The lake is famous for its sport fishing, supporting one of the largest king salmon fisheries in southwestern Alaska, though the king salmon are greatly outnumbered by sockeye salmon as well as pink and chum salmon. Large rainbow trout are also common around the lake, along with northern pike, lake trout and Arctic char. Brooks Camp is located on the lake's shore where the Brooks River enters the lake over rapids.Pine Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Pine Township is a township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 11,497 at the 2010 census.Pine Township was named for the abundance of pine trees.Richland Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Richland Township is a township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 11,100 at the 2010 census.
The township was named for its fertile soil.Scott Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Scott Township is a township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 17,024 at the 2010 census.Trafford, Pennsylvania
Trafford is a borough in Allegheny and Westmoreland counties in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. Located near Pittsburgh in western Pennsylvania, the borough lies primarily in Westmoreland County; only a small portion extends into Allegheny County. It was incorporated in 1904 from the northernmost corner of North Huntingdon Township, and was named by George Westinghouse for Trafford near Manchester, England. The population was 3,174 at the 2010 census. Of this, 3,113 were in Westmoreland County, and only 61 were in Allegheny County.Ulysses J. Lincoln Peoples
Ulysses J. Lincoln Peoples (February 1865 - after 1940) was an American architect based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Five schools located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that were designed by Peoples have listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Peoples was born in Pennsylvania in 1865. He was the son of William Peoples, a stair builder. At the time of the 1870 United States Census, Peoples was living with his parents and three siblings in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. At the time of the 1880 United States Census, Peoples was living in Chester, Pennsylvania. At the time of the 1900 United States Census, Peoples was living in Pittsburgh with his wife Emma and daughter Edith. By the time of the 1910 Census, Peoples also had a son Ulysses, Jr. He remained in Pittsburgh at the time of the 1920 and 1930 Censuses. By the time of the 1940 Census, Peoples and his wife Emma had relocated to Uniontown, Pennsylvania, where both were employed as taxi cab dispatchers.Peoples' works include:
Larimer School, Larimer Avenue at Winslow Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, NRHP-listed
Madison Elementary School, Milwaukee and Orion Streets, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, NRHP-listed
McCleary Elementary School, Holmes Street and McCandless Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, NRHP-listed
Oakland Public School, Dawson Street near Edith Place, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, NRHP-listed
Wightman School (1897), (now Wightman School Community Building), 5604 Solway Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, NRHP-listedVersailles, Pennsylvania
Versailles is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. At the 2010 census, the population was 1,515. Despite being named after the extraordinary Palace of Versailles, the name of the borough is almost universally pronounced ver-sales by residents of the area.West Deer Township
West Deer Township is a township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania in the United States. The population was 11,771 at the 2010 census.