1878 FA Cup Final

The 1878 FA Cup Final was a football match between Wanderers and Royal Engineers on 23 March 1878 at Kennington Oval in London. It was the seventh final of the world's oldest football competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (known in the modern era as the FA Cup). Wanderers had won the Cup in the previous two seasons and on four previous occasions in total, including the first FA Cup Final, in 1872, in which they defeated the Engineers. The Engineers had also won the Cup, having defeated Old Etonians in the 1875 final.

Wanderers, who were considered firm favourites to win the Cup for the third consecutive season, took the lead after only five minutes through Jarvis Kenrick, but the Engineers quickly equalised. The cup-holders regained their lead before half-time and added a third goal after the interval to secure a 3–1 victory. Under the original rules of the competition, the Cup was retired and presented to the club on a permanent basis to mark their third straight win, but the Wanderers returned the Cup to The Football Association on the condition that it never again be won outright by any club.

1878 FA Cup Final
1896 FA Cup
Event1877–78 FA Cup
Wanderers Royal Engineers
3 1
Date23 March 1878
VenueKennington Oval, London
RefereeSegar Bastard

Route to the final

Wanderers were the reigning cup holders and had also won the tournament in 1872, 1873 and 1876. In the first of these victories they had defeated the Royal Engineers.[1] The Engineers had won the competition in 1875.[1] Both teams entered the competition at the first round stage. Wanderers were allocated a home tie against Panthers and easily defeated their opponents 9–1, proceeding to the second round where they were paired with High Wycombe and again recorded a high-scoring victory, winning 9–0. Their opponents in the third round, Barnes, proved stronger opposition, particularly as key players such as Hon. Arthur Kinnaird were unavailable for the cup-holders.[2] The match ended in a 1–1 draw[1] necessitating a replay, which Wanderers (back to full strength) won 4–1. In the quarter-finals Wanderers defeated Sheffield 3–0 and then, with an uneven number of teams remaining in the competition, the team received a bye into the final.[3]

The Engineers' scheduled first round opponents were Highbury Union, but they withdrew from the competition, giving the Engineers a walkover victory. The "Sappers", as the Royal Engineers regiment is traditionally nicknamed, went on to defeat Pilgrims 6–0 and Druids 8–0, with hat-tricks in both matches from Lieut. Robert Hedley,[4][5] to reach the quarter-finals where their opponents were 1874 cup-winners Oxford University. The initial match finished in a 3–3 draw, and the replay also finished without a victor, ending 2–2. Finally, the Engineers emerged victorious in a second replay, winning 4–2. This set up a semi-final match against Old Harrovians, the team for former pupils of Harrow School. The match was played at Kennington Oval and the Engineers reached the final by defeating the Harrovians 2–1.[6]



Lovick Friend was in goal for the Engineers.

Wanderers, who were considered the firm favourites by the book-makers, won the coin toss and chose to defend the Harleyford Road end of The Oval.[7] The match drew a crowd estimated at 4,500 spectators, the highest yet recorded for an FA Cup Final.[8] Both teams played with two full-backs, two half-backs and six forwards;[7] the team captains were the Hon. Arthur Kinnaird and Lieut. Robert Hedley.[9] The cup-holders immediately dominated the game and Kinnaird quickly had an unsuccessful shot on goal. After only five minutes Henry Wace crossed the ball from a wide position and Jarvis Kenrick kicked the ball past the Engineers' goalkeeper Lieut. Lovick Friend to give the Wanderers the lead.[10] Approximately ten minutes later, Wanderers goalkeeper James Kirkpatrick suffered a broken arm during a tussle on the goal-line, but managed to keep the ball out of the goal, and went on to play the remainder of the match despite his injury.[7] In the 20th minute of the game, the Engineers scored an equalising goal. Some modern sources state that Lieut. William Morris scored the goal,[11][12] however contemporary newspaper reports in The Field, The Sporting Life and Bell's Life in London all state that Morris took a throw-in which led to a "scrimmage" or "bully" in front of the Wanderers' goal, out of which the ball was forced over the goal-line.[13]

Towards the end of the first half, the Wanderers were awarded a free kick. Kinnaird took the kick, which led to a second goal for the cup-holders. Modern sources list Kinnaird as the goalscorer, but some contemporary reports suggest that, following his free kick, another "scrimmage" ensued in front of the Engineers' goal before the ball was forced over the line.[13] Shortly after the half-time break, the Engineers' captain Robert Hedley appeared to have scored a goal, but it was disallowed due to an infringement of the offside rule.[7] After around twenty minutes of the second half, Kenrick scored his second goal following some skilful play by Hubert Heron, giving Wanderers a 3–1 lead which they retained until the end of the game.[13]


Wanderers3–1Royal Engineers
Kenrick Goal 15'Goal 65'
Kinnaird Goal 35' (disputed)
Report Morris Goal 20' (disputed)
Royal Engineers
GK England James Kirkpatrick
FB England Alfred Stratford
FB England William Lindsay
HB Scotland Hon. Arthur Kinnaird (Captain)
HB England Frederick Green
FW England Charles Wollaston
FW England Hubert Heron
FW England John Wylie
FW England Henry Wace
FW England Charles Denton
FW England Jarvis Kenrick
Royal Engineers:[7]
GK England Lieut. Lovick Friend
FB England Lieut. James Cowan
FB England Lieut. William Morris
HB England Lieut. Charles Mayne
HB England Lieut. Frederick Heath
FW England Lieut. Charles Haynes
FW England Lieut. Morgan Lindsay
FW England Lieut. Robert Hedley (Captain)
FW England Lieut. Francis Bond
FW England Lieut. Horace Barnet
FW England Lieut. Oliver Ruck


As was the norm until 1882, the winning team did not receive the trophy at the stadium on the day of the match, but later in the year at their annual dinner.[14] Under the original rules of the competition, if a team won the Cup three times in succession, it would be retired and become their "absolute property".[15] Wanderers secretary C. W. Alcock, however, returned the Cup to The Football Association on the condition that the rule be removed and no other team permitted to win the Cup outright.[15] The only other team to win the Cup in three successive seasons to date is Blackburn Rovers, who won it three times in a row in the 1880s. On this occasion the club was presented with a commemorative shield.[16]

Three weeks after the Cup final, Wanderers played Scottish Cup winners Vale of Leven at Kennington Oval in a match for the unofficial "championship of Britain". In front of a crowd of around 2,000 spectators, Wanderers turned in what was regarded by the press as a sub-standard performance and were defeated 3–1.[15]


A.^ The Football Club History Database incorrectly list this as a 2–2 draw.[3] All other sources list the result as 1–1.[7][17][18]


  • Warsop, Keith (2004). The Early FA Cup Finals and the Southern Amateurs. SoccerData. ISBN 1-899468-78-1.
  • Cavallini, Rob (2005). The Wanderers F.C.: Five Times F.A. Cup Winners. Dog N Duck Publications. ISBN 0-9550496-0-1.
  • Collett, Mike (2003). The Complete Record of the FA Cup. Sports Books. ISBN 1-899807-19-5.
  1. ^ a b "England FA Challenge Cup Finals". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. 12 June 2009. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
  2. ^ Cavallini, p.50
  3. ^ a b "Wanderers". Football Club History Database. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
  4. ^ Warsop, pp.84–85
  5. ^ Collett, p.528
  6. ^ "Royal Engineers". Football Club History Database. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
  7. ^ a b c d e f g h i j Warsop, p.48
  8. ^ Warsop, pp.40–48
  9. ^ "The 7th edition of the "English Cup"". 1877/78 season. IFFHS. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
  10. ^ Warsop, p.35
  11. ^ Gibbons, Philip (2001). Association Football in Victorian England – A History of the Game from 1863 to 1900. Upfront Publishing. p. 51. ISBN 1-84426-035-6.
  12. ^ Barnes, Stuart, ed. (2009). Nationwide Football Annual 2009–2010. SportsBooks. p. 132. ISBN 1-899807-81-0.
  13. ^ a b c Warsop, p.36
  14. ^ Warsop, p.53
  15. ^ a b c Cavallini, p.51
  16. ^ Soar, Phil; Tyler, Martin (1983). Encyclopedia of British Football. Willow Books. p. 160. ISBN 0-00-218049-9.
  17. ^ Cavallini, p.138
  18. ^ Collett, pp.116 & 630

External links

Charles Ashpitel Denton

Charles Ashpitel Denton (24 October 1852 – 28 September 1932) was an English amateur footballer who twice won the FA Cup with Wanderers. In his professional life, he was a solicitor.

Frederick Heath-Caldwell

Major-General Frederick Crofton Heath-Caldwell, (né Heath: 21 February 1858 – 18 September 1945) was a senior British Army officer, who also served in the early Royal Air Force (RAF). Joining the Royal Engineers in 1877, he saw active service during the Anglo-Egyptian War, the Mahdist War, and the Boer War. During the First World War, he was posted to the War Office, served as General Officer Commanding (GOC) of Portsmouth (1916–1918), and, in what was to be his final military appointment, served as GOC South East Area in the newly created Royal Air Force (1918–1919). In retirement, he was a magistrate in Chester.

George William Addison

Lieut-Colonel George William Addison (18 September 1849 – 8 November 1937) was an English soldier who played for the Royal Engineers in the 1872 and 1874 FA Cup Finals.

Hedley (surname)

Hedley is a surname. Notable people with the surname include:

Charles Hedley (1862–1926), malacologist from England and then Australia, winner of the Clarke Award

Charles Hedley (rugby league) (1881–1942), Australian rugby footballer

Jack Hedley (born 1930 as Jack Hawkins), British actor

John Prescott Hedley (1876-1957), British physician

Lieut. Robert Hedley (1857–1884), English captain of the Royal Engineers in the 1878 FA Cup Final

Thomas Hedley (born 1942/43), publisher

Colonel Sir Walter Coote Hedley (1865–1937), English army officer and amateur cricketer

William Hedley (1779–1843), British industrial engineerFictional characters

Roland Hedley, reporter in the comic strip Doonesbury

Henry Wace (footballer)

Henry Wace (21 September 1853 – 5 November 1947) was an English amateur footballer who made three appearances for England and played for Wanderers, with whom he won the FA Cup in 1877 and 1878. By profession he was a lawyer who specialised in bankruptcy law.

Hubert Heron

George Hubert Hugh Heron (30 January 1852 – 5 June 1914) was an English footballer who made five appearances as a forward for England in the 1870s and won three FA Cup winners' medals.

Kirkpatrick baronets

The Kirkpatrick Baronetcy, of Closeburn in the County of Dumfries, is a title in the Baronetage of Nova Scotia. It was created on 26 March 1685 for Thomas Kirkpatrick, with remainder to heirs male whatsoever. The family seat of the Kirkpatrick family was Closeburn Castle, Dumfriesshire.

Charles Kirkpatrick (1879–1955), grandson of Roger Kirkpatrick, second son of fourth Baronet, was a Major-General in the British Army. His son Herbert James Kirkpatrick (1910–1977) was an Air Vice-Marshal in the Royal Air Force.

Sir James Kirkpatrick, 8th Baronet was a keen amateur footballer in his youth and appeared in goal for the Wanderers in the 1878 FA Cup Final.

Leopold Heath

Vice Admiral Sir Leopold George Heath KCB (18 November 1817 – 7 May 1907) was a Royal Navy officer who went on to be Commander-in-Chief, East Indies Station.

Lovick Friend

Major General Sir Lovick Bransby Friend (25 April 1856 – 19 November 1944) was a British Army major general and amateur sportsman. He served with the Royal Engineers and was Commander-in-Chief, Ireland during the 1916 Easter Rising. As a sportsman, Friend played in goal for the Royal Engineers in the 1878 FA Cup Final and first-class cricket for Kent County Cricket Club.

Segar Bastard

Segar Richard Bastard (25 January 1854 – 20 March 1921) was an English amateur association football player and referee born in Chigwell, Essex. He played football on an amateur basis for three clubs as well as playing for England once. He was also an international referee and was held in high regard throughout English football. Bastard also played county cricket for Essex County Cricket Club and Marylebone Cricket Club and was a solicitor by profession.

Sir James Kirkpatrick, 8th Baronet

Sir James Kirkpatrick, 8th Baronet (22 March 1841 – 10 November 1899) was the 8th Kirkpatrick Baronet of Closeburn, Dumfriesshire. In his youth he was a keen sportsman, and helped organise the Scottish football team in the representative matches between March 1870 and February 1872. He also played in goal for the Wanderers when they won the FA Cup in 1878.

Qualifying rounds

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.