|2/1st South Midland Brigade|
184th (2/1st South Midland) Brigade
184th Infantry Brigade
61st Infantry Division's Second World War insignia
|Part of||61st (2nd South Midland) Division|
61st Infantry Division
|Engagements||World War I|
The brigade was raised as a duplicate of the 145th (1/1st South Midland) Brigade and consisted of those men in the Territorial Force who had not volunteered for overseas service when asked at the outbreak of war. It originally acted as a reserve to the 145th Brigade, sending drafts of officers and men as battle-casualty replacements and participated in home defence duties. It was assigned to the 61st (2nd South Midland) Division and, from May 1916 onwards, served on the Western Front in the trenches. In April 1917 Company Sergeant Major Edward Brooks of the 2/4th Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry was awarded the Victoria Cross.
The brigade was disbanded after the war in 1919, along with the rest of the Territorial Force which was reformed in the 1920s as the Territorial Army. In early 1939, war with Nazi Germany was becoming increasingly likely and, as a result, the Territorial Army was ordered to be doubled in size, in order to meet the threat. The brigade was reformed, now as the 184th Infantry Brigade, in 1939, prior to the outbreak of the Second World War and consisted of units from the South Midlands area of England. It was assigned to the 61st Infantry Division. However, despite being raised for service in war, the brigade never saw active service abroad and remained in the United Kingdom throughout the war, acting in a training role. In July 1945 the division was reorganised as a light division in preparation for a deployment to the Far East to fight the Imperial Japanese Army. However, the Japanese surrendered in August 1945 and the move cancelled.
184th Infantry Brigade was constituted as follows during the Second World War:
184th may refer to:
184th (2nd South Midland) Brigade, formation of the Territorial Force of the British Army
184th AAA Battalion (United States), attached to the 49th AAA Brigade
184th Battalion, CEF, unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War
184th Fighter Squadron, unit of the Arkansas Air National Guard that flew the A-10 Thunderbolt II
184th Infantry Regiment (United States) (Second California), infantry regiment of the United States Army
184th Intelligence Wing, located at McConnell AFB, Kansas
184th Nembo Parachute Division, airborne division of the Italian Army during World War II
184th Ohio Infantry (or 184th OVI), infantry regiment in the Union Army during the American Civil War
184th Ordnance Battalion (EOD) accomplish the explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) support activity
184th Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment, Yugoslav aviation regiment established in 1948
184th Rifle Division (Soviet Union), Soviet Red Army division during World War II
Pennsylvania's 184th Representative District61st (2nd South Midland) Division
The 61st (2nd South Midland) Division was an infantry division of the British Army raised in 1915 during the Great War as a second-line reserve for the first-line battalions of the 48th (South Midland) Division. However, the division was sent to the Western Front in May 1916 and served there for the duration of the First World War.
On 19 July 1916, together with the 5th Australian Division, the 61st Division fought the Battle of Fromelles, designed as a feint attack as part of the Somme Offensive. The attack, against well prepared German positions based on a ridge, was a disaster and responsible for the subsequent poor reputation of the Division.
They later took part in the Third Battle of Ypres and the advance to the Hindenburg Line.British infantry brigades of the First World War
During the First World War, 259 infantry brigades were raised by the British Army, two by the Royal Navy, and one from the Royal Marines. Of these brigades, fifty-three were held in reserve or only used for training, while another nine only served in British India.
The pre war regular army only had eighteen infantry brigades, with another forty-five serving with the reserve Territorial Force (TF). Once war was declared, the regular army was expanded first by volunteers and then conscripts for what became known as Kitchener's Army. At the same time, volunteers for the TF formed second line formations.
Three infantry brigades served with a division, mostly the same one throughout the war, but some did serve for short periods with another division. At the start of the war, four infantry battalions along with a small headquarters formed a brigade; but, by 1918, with the number of casualties mounting, the brigade was reduced to three battalions. During the same time, the firepower of a brigade was increased by the assignment of more machine guns. Eventually, as the war progressed, a brigade had its own machine gun company and a trench mortar battery assigned.