|15th Lancers (Baloch)|
|Active||1922 - 1937; 1955 - Present|
|Country|| British India|
|Uniform||Dark blue; faced buff|
|Engagements||Bhutan War 1864-65|
Second Afghan War 1878-80
First World War 1914-18
Third Afghan War 1919
Indo-Pakistani War of 1965
|Battle honours||Afghanistan 1879-80, Afghanistan 1919, Khem Karan 1965.|
The 17th Cavalry was raised in 1857 at Muttra by Colonel CJ Robarts and was composed entirely of Afghans. Throughout its existence, the regiment remained an exclusively Muslim unit. In 1861, after several changes in nomenclature, it was designated the 17th Regiment of Bengal Cavalry. In 1865, it saw action as part of the Bhutan Field Force, while in 1879-80, the regiment operated on lines of communication during the Second Afghan War as part of the Kabul Field Force. During the First World War, it dispatched a squadron to Africa where it took part in the East African Campaign. In 1919, the regiment fought in the Third Afghan War. The regiment maintained a mounted pipe band from 1895 to 1902. The uniform of the 17th Cavalry was blue with white facings. The regimental badge consisted of a silver star and crescent over "XVII" with a title scroll below.
The 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse) was raised in 1885 as the 7th Bombay Cavalry (Jacob-ka-Risallah) from the manpower of the 3rd Scinde Horse (Belooch Horse), which had been disbanded in 1882. This regiment was also an all-Muslim unit made up of Pathans and Baluchis. Their first chance of active service came in 1919, when they served in the Third Afghan War, although one of their squadrons operated in Persia during the First World War. Prior to 1914 the regiment's dress uniform was dark blue (khaki drill for hot-weather parade and field dress), with buff facings. The badge consisted of crossed lances and pennons with "37" over crossed lances.
After the First World War, the number of Indian cavalry regiments was reduced from thirty-nine to twenty-one. However, instead of disbanding the surplus units, it was decided to amalgamate them in pairs. This resulted in renumbering and renaming of the entire cavalry line. The 17th Cavalry and 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse) were amalgamated at Lucknow in 1922 to form the 15th Lancers. Meanwhile, an existing 15th Lancers (Cureton's Multanis) joined the 14th Murray's Jat Lancers to form the 20th Lancers.
The uniform of the new 15th Lancers was dark blue with buff facings, while the badge consisted of crossed silver lances bearing pennons with "XV" at the crossing and a scroll below. The same uniform and badges are still in use by the regiment.
In 1937, the 15th Lancers became the training regiment of the 1st Indian Cavalry Group. It was converted into a training centre in 1940 by amalgamating it with the 12th Cavalry (Frontier Force). However, the next year, the Centre was disbanded. In 1955, the 15th Lancers was re-raised by the Pakistani Army as a Reconnaissance Regiment of the Pakistan Armoured Corps and equipped with M24 Chaffee light tanks. During the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, the regiment served with distinction in the Kasur Sector and was awarded the Battle Honour 'Khem Karan 1965.' In 1969, the 15th Lancers was affiliated with the Baluch Regiment (now called the Baloch Regiment) due to the old link with the 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse). It added the title of 'Baluch' to its designation in 1989.
The 12th Indian Cavalry Brigade was a cavalry brigade of the British Indian Army that formed part of the Indian Army during the First World War. It remained in India throughout the war.14th Murray's Jat Lancers
The 14th Murray's Jat Lancers, also sometimes known as the Murray's Jat Horse, was a cavalry regiment of the British Indian Army.
The regiment was first raised at Aligarh as an irregular cavalry unit in 1857 as the Jat Horse Yeomanry, for the East India Company by Captain John Murray then serving with the Gwalior Contingent. It was raised from 250 sepoys and 120 sowars (cavalrymen) recruited from the Jats of the rural areas of Hathras, Mathura, Bulandshahr, Aligarh, and Khurja in UP, and Palwal and Hodal in Haryana, who were offered by Thakur Gobind Singh, a Jat chieftain of Khair in Aligarh, to combat the 1857 uprising, and thus became the first regiment to be manned completely with Jat troops in the British Indian Army. Until 1861 it was paid for by private funds of the British officers and Indian Risaldars. Later the Regimental Centre and Officers' Mess was established at Palwal. It participated in a number of actions in 1857-58, especially at Meerut, Delhi and Lucknow, but did not qualify for any battle honour. Subedar Pratap Singh was the first Subedar of the HQ Squadron of the regiment in 1857-1861. Murray's Lancers subsequently served in the Bhutan Field Force.The regiment formed part of the cavalry brigade of the Kabul Field Force during the 1878-79 Afghanistan War. The regiment participated in a difficult cavalry charge over extremely difficult ground and routed the Afghan line at Charasiah, 15 km from Kabul, on 6 October 1879 for which the regiment was awarded the battle honour "Charasiah" and the theatre honour "Afghanistan 1878-79".The regiment was mentioned in despatches by General Sir Frederick Roberts, VC who wrote:
I always remember the good work done by the regiment (14th Jat Lancers) when we were hard pressed by the Afghans in the Chardeh valley on the 11th December 1879. The retirement by squadrons was carried out as if on parade.
The regiment was merged in 1922 with the 15th Lancers (Cureton's Multanis) to form the 20th Lancers which was transferred to India after partition in 1947.15th Lancers (Cureton's Multanis)
The 15th Lancers (Cureton's Multanis) was a cavalry regiment of the British Indian Army which existed from 1858 to 1921. Raised during the 1857 uprising, the regiment later saw service in the Second Afghan War of 1878–80 and the First World War. The regiment was one of the single class regiments, with all troops being recruited from the Multani Pathan Muslim community.Cureton's Multanis had a blue uniform with scarlet facings. The badge comprised two crossed lances and a pennon with a star and crescent. The star was placed over the point of crossing of the lances and was inscribed with "XV". The crescent was placed lower down and had the words "CURETON"S MOOLTANEES" inscribed upon it.The regiment had a tradition of giving a Muslim salute, i.e. salaam, a gesture of obeisance, instead of the regulation military salute. This departure from military regulations was permitted them by the Lord Napier of Magdala.1909 New Year Honours
The New Year Honours 1909 were appointments by King Edward VII to various orders and honours to reward and highlight good works by members of the British Empire. They were announced on 5 January 1909.By Special Statutes of the Order of the Star of India and the Order of the Indian Empire, dated 10 December 1908 and published in the same Gazette as the appointments, the King was empowered to appoint additional members to the second and third classes of those Orders (KCSI, CSI, KCIE and CIE) on 1 January 1909, in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the assumption of the government of India by the Crown "without permanently increasing the number of the Ordinary Members of the Order." The members so appointed are indicated with a # in the list below.20 Lancers (India)
20th Lancers is an armoured regiment in the Armoured Corps of the Indian Army. The regiment distinguished itself in operations with its defence of Chhamb in Jammu and Kashmir during the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War winning one Maha Vir Chakra.The regiment has provided three Army Commanders including one Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Gurbachan Singh 'Buch', Gen Shankar Roychowdhury, ADC (Retd) and Lt Gen Pradeep Khanna, ADC (Retd).20th Lancers (British Indian Army)
The 20th Lancers was a regiment of the British Indian Army.
It was formed in 1922 by the amalgamation of the 14th Murray's Jat Lancers and the 15th Lancers (Cureton's Multanis).20th Lancers (Pakistan)
The 20th Lancers is an armoured regiment of the Pakistan Army.
As part of a reorganization of the British Indian Army, the original 20th Lancers was formed in 1922 by the amalgamation of the 14th Murray's Jat Lancers and the 15th Lancers (Cureton's Multanis).The modern regiment was formed in 1956.3rd (Lahore) Division
The 3rd (Lahore) Division was an infantry division of the British Indian Army, first organised in 1852. It saw service during World War I as part of the Indian Corps in France before being moved to the Middle East where it fought against troops of the Ottoman Empire.41st Armoured Regiment (India)
41st Armoured Regiment, is an armoured regiment which is part of the Armoured Corps of the Indian Army. The regiment was raised as an all-class regiment on 1 July 1980 by Lt Col J.P. Singh at Ahmednagar. The first Colonel of 41st Armoured Regiment was Maj Gen S. Krishnamurthy, AVSM. It was initially equipped with Vijayanta tanks, but was re-equipped with T-72 tanks in 1997. The regiment was declared fit for war service in February 1981.The regiment celebrated its silver jubilee in 2006. To commemorate the special day, a "Sainik Sammelan" (soldier's gathering), was organised. The founder of the Regiment, Brigadier J.P. Singh (retired), also graced the occasion. A number of ex-servicemen participated in the celebrations.Charles Cureton (British Indian Army officer)
Sir Charles Cureton (1826–1891) was a British Indian Army officer. He distinguished himself as a cavalry leader, and was recognised for acts of personal bravery. He became brevet colonel 14 February 1868, lieutenant-colonel 22 February 1869, major-general 22 February 1870, lieutenant-general 1 October 1877, and general 1 December 1888.Claude Ernest Pert
Major-General Claude Ernest Pert (29 September 1898 – 14 March 1982) was a senior cavalry officer in the British Indian Army, and British India polo champion.Eric G. Atkinson
Colonel Eric Garnett Atkinson MVO, (9 April 1887 – 1955) was a soldier and a British India 9-goal polo player. He competed in the 1924 and 1927 International Polo Cup.Hira Lal Atal
Hira Lal Atal (26 January 1905 – 23 January 1985) was an Indian soldier. He served with the British Indian Army from 1925 until 1947, and the Indian Army from 1947. He rose to the rank of major general and was the first native adjutant general of the Indian Union. He had the major role in designing the Indian Armed Forces highest award for bravery, the Param Vir Chakra.Indian Polo Association
The Indian Polo Association (IPA) is the governing body for polo in India. Most of the IPA's major activities are executed by the 61 Cavalry Unit of the Indian Army. The Unit, based in Jaipur, is one of the few remaining cavalry units in the world that maintains its own stable of horses. The IPA's registered office is co-located with the 61 Cavalry's B Squadron.Malik Nur Khan
Air Marshal Malik Nur Khan (Urdu: ملک نور خان ; 22 February 1923 – 15 December 2011) SPk, HJ, HS, HQA, OI(J), NOC, OVN, commonly known as Nur Khan, was a three-star air officer, politician, sports administrator, and the Commander-in-Chief of the Pakistan Air Force, serving under President Ayub Khan from 1965 until 1969.Born into a Punjabi Awan tribe in Attock, he gained commissioned in the Royal Indian Air Force after graduating from the famed Rashtriya Indian Military College in Dehra Dun in 1941. He participated in World War II on the side of the United Kingdom and opted for Pakistan as an aftermath of the partition of British India in 1947. He gained nationwide famed and public notability when he commanded and led Pakistan Air Force in the second war with India in 1965 as well as noted for his aerial skills when he participated on Six-Day War on behalf Arab countries fought against Israel. After retiring in 1969, he started his career in national politics and served as Governor of West Pakistan under President Yahya Khan as well as serving cabinet minister in Yahya administration from 1969 till 1970 when resigning over mutual disagreements.During his career in the Air Force and the politics, he took charge of country's sportsmanship when he served as president/chairman of cricket, hockey, and squash where he introduced sport tactics and ideas that helped sporting performances and gained attention at the international venues. In addition, he also lobbied and pushed for the establishment of the Asian Cricket Council. Nur Khan, however, is regarded for his sharp intelligence and outstanding management skills that largely benefited the Pakistan's military and the organizations that he presided over.Pakistan Army Armoured Corps
Pakistan Army Armoured Corps (Urdu: ﺁرمى ﺁرمرڈ كور) is a combatant branch of Pakistan Army, tasked with armoured warfare. Equipped with more than 3000 Main Battle Tanks, the corps is based at the old garrison town of Nowshera and is organized into two armoured divisions and a number of independent armoured brigades. The Pakistan Armoured Corps has a proud history going back to 1773, when its oldest unit was raised in British India. The corps maintains a number of legendary units on its order of battle, who earned fame in numerous wars and engagements of British Indian Army including the two World Wars. At the time of the independence, Pakistan inherited six armoured regiments from the old British Indian Army.Since then, the corps has expanded into more than forty regiments. Many of these new regiments have also earned accolades for their performance in the wars fought with India. Prominent among them is 25 Cavalry (Men Of Steel), who beat back the invading Indian Armoured Division at Phillaurah during the Battle of Chawinda in 1965.Polo in India
India is the birthplace of modern polo. The modern game of polo is derived from Manipur, where the game was known as 'Sagol Kangjei', 'Kanjai-bazee', or 'Pulu'. It was the anglicised form of the last, referring to the wooden ball that was used, which was adopted by the sport in its slow spread to the west.Rawalpindi Parade 1905
The Rawalpindi Parade 1905 was a parade by the British Indian Army held in Rawalpindi, India on 8 December 1905 to honour the Prince and Princess of Wales. The troops were under the Command of Horatio Herbert, Viscount Kitchener of Khartoum, G.C.B., O.M., G.C.M.G., Commander-in-Chief India. The Royal party arrived at the parade ground escorted by a Field Officer's escort of 1st Skinner's Horse. They then received a Royal salute and inspected the troops, accompanied by the Commander-in-chief. On conclusion of the inspection, the troops on parade marched past in the following order.Royal Dragoon Guards
The Royal Dragoon Guards (RDG) is a cavalry regiment of the British Army. It was formed in 1992 by the amalgamation of two other regiments: The 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards and the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards. The regiment currently serves as the Armoured Cavalry Reconnaissance unit of the 20th Armoured Infantry Brigade and is therefore equipped with the Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked) Scimitar and is based in Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire. Today the RDG is an operationally experienced regiment having recently served in Iraq (Operation Telic 5 and 11), and Afghanistan (Operation Herrick 12 and 17).
|Supporting Arms and Services|
British Indian Army Cavalry Regiments 1903–1946
|Pre 1922 reforms|
|Post 1922 reforms|