The 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars was a cavalry regiment of the British Army. The regiment was formed by the amalgamation of the 15th The King's Hussars and the 19th Royal Hussars in 1922 and, after service in the Second World War, it amalgamated with the 13th/18th Royal Hussars to form the Light Dragoons in 1992.
|15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars|
Badge of 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars
|Active||11 April 1922 - 1 December 1992|
|Part of||Royal Armoured Corps|
|Garrison/HQ||Fenham Barracks, Newcastle upon Tyne|
|Motto(s)||Merebimur (We shall be Worthy) (Latin)|
|Colours||Blue - Yellow - Red & Blue|
21 December Sahagún Day|
23 September Assaye Day
|Colonel-in-Chief||HRH Princess Margaret|
|NCOs - Royal Crest. All Ranks Assaye and Elephant on belt buckle.|
The regiment was created, as part of the reduction in cavalry in the aftermath of the First World War, by the amalgamation of the 15th The King's Hussars and the 19th Royal Hussars on 11 April 1922 to form the 15th/19th Hussars. It briefly dropped the 19th numeral from its title in October 1932, becoming the 15th The King's Royal Hussars, before regaining it in December 1933.
At the outbreak of the Second World War the regiment was based at York, serving as the divisional reconnaissance regiment for the 3rd Infantry Division. The regiment was deployed with the division as part of the British Expeditionary Force, and fought in the Battle of France: it suffered heavy losses during the German advance and, having left all its armour and vehicles behind, took part in the Dunkirk evacuation.
Following the withdrawal, the regiment was assigned to the 3rd Motor Machine Gun Brigade which was redesignated as the 28th Armoured Brigade and assigned to the 9th Armoured Division. A cadre was detached to form the 23rd Hussars in December 1940. The regiment remained in the United Kingdom until August 1944 when it was dispatched to France to serve as the divisional reconnaissance regiment for the 11th Armoured Division.
The Regiment was deployed to Palestine in December 1945 and then to Sudan in November 1947. It moved to Knightsbridge Barracks in Lübeck in October 1949 and to McLeod Barracks in Neumünster in November 1951. It became recce regiment for 7th Armoured Division and relocated to Combermere Barracks in Wesendorf in March 1953. In June 1954 it deployed to Malaya, with regimental headquarters and one squadron based at Ipoh and the other squadrons at Taiping and Raub, during the Malayan Emergency. In June 1957 a troop was deployed to Muscat during the Jebel Akhdar War. The regiment then joined 39th Infantry Brigade, moving to Lisanelly Camp in Omagh in August 1957 and then became an armoured car training regiment based at Deerbolt Camp near Barnard Castle in May 1959.
The regiment re-roled as nuclear escort regiment based at Swinton Barracks in Munster in September 1961 and then moved to Bhurtpore Barracks at Tidworth Camp in January 1968. It returned to West Germany where it joined 11th Infantry Brigade and moved to Wessex Barracks in Bad Fallingbostel in November 1969. It became the garrisoned regiment at Long Kesh in August 1971, following the introduction of internment of Provisional Irish Republican Army suspects. It transferred to Lisanelly Camp in Omagh in November 1974. It then moved to a recce role, equipped with Scorpion and Fox, for 5th Infantry Brigade based at Aliwal Barracks in Tidworth Camp in May 1976 ; from there it deployed squadrons for the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus.
In September 1977, the regiment was deployed back to Germany, where it was assigned to the 3rd Armoured Division and based at Alanbrooke Barracks in Paderborn: from there it continued to send units to Northern Ireland as part of Operation Banner and undertook guarding duties at the Maze Prison. In November 1984, the main body of the Regiment returned to England as the Royal Armoured Corps Training Regiment at Bovington Camp in Dorset although one squadron was deployed to Cyprus, equipped with Ferret Scout Cars, to serve as the resident armoured car squadron. As part of the post-Cold War defence reforms, the regiment amalgamated with the 13th/18th Royal Hussars to form the Light Dragoons on 1 December 1992.
The regiment's battle honours were those of its predecessor regiments plus:
Colonels of the Regiment were: 
The following are notable former members of the regiment: