The 14th Cavalry Regiment is a cavalry regiment of the United States Army. It has two squadrons that provide reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition for Stryker brigade combat teams. Constituted in 1901, it has served in conflicts from the Philippine-American War to the Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.
|14th Cavalry Regiment|
Coat of arms
|Active||1901 – 1972|
2000 – Present
|Country||United States of America|
|Role||Reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition|
|Motto(s)||Suivez Moi (Follow Me)|
World War II
Distinctive unit insignia
U.S. Cavalry Regiments
|13th Cavalry Regiment||15th Cavalry Regiment|
The 14th was stationed in the Philippines from 1903–1906 during the insurgency campaigns. Upon successful completion of that campaign in 1906, the regiment then returned home to the United States and took up garrisons in the Pacific Northwest, where it assumed peacetime duties. The regiment was re-deployed to the Philippines in 1909, although this time it was only engaged in garrison duties and training.
In 1912, the regiment was called for service in the Mexican campaign. On the night of 5–6 May 1916, a detachment of nine troopers guarding Glenn Springs, Texas came under attack by a band of about 70 Villistas in the Glenn Springs raid, and three privates, William Cohen, Stephen J. Coloe, and Lawrence K. Rogers, were killed on American soil. The unit then joined General John J. Pershing's expeditionary forces in the Mexican Punitive Expedition against Pancho Villa and his forces during the summer of 1916, chasing bandits throughout the Mexican plains. The regiment then returned to Texas, where it began the task of patrolling the border until 1918, when it was called into service in Europe. The Treaty of Versailles was signed before the regiment could cross the Atlantic and the regiment resumed its border patrol mission.
In 1920, the 14th Cavalry Regiment was moved to Iowa, and for approximately the next two decades served in a peacetime capacity.
In 1942, the regiment was inactivated, and from its lineage came the 14th Cavalry Group, 14th Tank Battalion, and 711th Tank Battalion. On 28 August 1944, the 14th Cavalry Group sailed for Europe, where it landed on Omaha Beach on 30 September and pressed east. On 18 October, the unit was split into the 18th Squadron, attached to the 2nd Infantry Division, and the 32nd Squadron, attached to the 83rd Infantry Division.
The unit regained its autonomy on 12 December 1944 during the latter stages of World War II and began guarding the Losheim Gap in Belgium. On 16 December, the 14th Cavalry Group received the full brunt of the German winter counteroffensive in the Battle of the Bulge. After two days of savage fighting, the unit reassembled at Vielsalm, Belgium and was attached to the 7th Armored Division.
On 23 December, the unit secured the southern flank of the perimeter, which allowed friendly troops to withdraw to safety. On 25 December, the unit was reequipped, attached to the XVIII Airborne Corps and moved back into the Bulge to push back the German Army. After the bloody and brutal fight in the Ardennes Forest, the regiment was assigned to the 3rd U.S. Army, and ended the war near the Austrian border.
While the 14th Cavalry Group was fighting the German Army at the Battle of the Bulge, the 14th Tank Battalion was assigned to the 9th Armored Division's Combat Command B (CCB) and took part in operations in the vicinity of St. Vith, Belgium from 17 to 23 December 1944. The battalion was subject to constant German tank and infantry attacks, repeatedly throwing back the numerically superior attacking German forces while sustaining heavy losses. By denying the Germans their objective, the 14th Tank Battalion disrupted the enemy's time line and momentum, causing the Germans to divert a corps to capture St. Vith. For seven days, the 14th Tank Battalion, as part of CCB, held St. Vith before being ordered to withdraw west of the Salm River. For their actions in defense of St. Vith, the 14th Tank Battalion was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation.
The 14th Tank Battalion was unexpectedly thrust into a key role crossing the Rhine River when, on 7 March 1945, they unexpectedly captured the Ludendorff railroad bridge at Remagen and thus established the first Allied bridgehead over the Rhine. A Company/14th led the advance across the bridge and established fighting positions on the eastern side, repelling multiple German counterattacks by armor and infantry. After ten days of withstanding enemy attacks by ground, air and waterborne forces, the Ludendorff Bridge failed; however, by this time, two additional pontoon bridges had been established and the bridgehead reinforced, allowing the unimpeded movement of U.S. forces into Germany. Company A, the first tank company to cross the Rhine, was instrumental in helping seize the railroad bridge and establishing the first Allied bridgehead over the Rhine. Once across, they established fighting positions on the eastern side, repelling multiple German counterattacks by armor and infantry. For their actions, Captain George P. Soumas, First Lieutenant C. Windsor Miller, Sergeant William J. Goodson, and First Lieutenant John Grimball were awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. The entire battalion was awarded its second Presidential Unit Citation.
After World War II, the group was reorganized as the 14th Constabulary Regiment and served as a police unit until 1948, when it was again reorganized as the 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment and served until 1972 as such on "Freedoms Frontier" at Fulda, Bad Kissingen and Bad Hersfeld, Germany, performing reconnaissance and border duties for NATO until its colors were cased and it was replaced by the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.
The regiment was reactivated on 15 September 2000 as the U.S. Army's first reconnaissance, surveillance and target acquisition squadron in the Stryker brigade combat team. The 1st Squadron deployed to Northern Iraq in 2003. The mission was assumed by the 2nd Squadron in October 2004 and, in turn, by the 4th Squadron under the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team in September 2005. The 1st Squadron returned to Iraq in August 2006 and the 4th Squadron's tour was extended an additional 120 days. The 2nd Squadron was reflagged as the 2nd Cavalry squadron in June 2006. Upon finally returning from Iraq in December 2006, the 4th Squadron was reflagged as 5th Squadron, 1st Cavalry. The 1st Squadron returned from their second tour in Iraq to Fort Lewis in September 2007. The newest addition, the 5th Squadron, was activated at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, on 13 October 2005 and was redesignated as 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry, in December 2006. The 2nd Squadron then served in Iraq from December 2007 to March 2009, and again in Iraq from June 2010 to June 2011 in the Diyala Province.
From December 2011 to December 2012, TF 1–14 CAV deployed to Zabul Province, Afghanistan, working with the Afghan National Army, Afghan National Police, and local government to conduct wide area security and build the legitimacy of the Afghan government. Bronco Troop was detached working alongside TF 5–20 Infantry in the Zhari District and later the Spin Boldak District along the Afghan-Pakistan border. Apocalypse Troop was also detached to partner with the Australian Army in Uruzgan Province to secure the region. HHT, Crazyhorse Troop, and C/52nd Infantry "Hellcats" secured the entirety of Zabul Province with two Romanian Army battalions and their Afghan partners. Throughout the deployment, the Squadron trained and mentored local forces, placing them in the lead and paving the way for future units.
According to The Institute of Heraldry, the 14th Cavalry Regiment has been granted the following coat of arms:
Shield: Or, a bend Azure between a Moro kris paleways point up Sable, and a rattlesnake coiled to strike Proper.
Crest: On a wreath of the colors Or and Azure, a dexter arm embowed habited Azure, the hand gloved in a buckskin gauntlet Proper, grasping a staff erect Sable barbed Or, thereon a standard flotant of the last charged with a horseshoe heels upward encircling the Arabic numeral '14' in Black.
Motto: "Suivez Moi" (Follow Me).
Likewise, soldiers assigned to any squadron of the 14th Cavalry are authorized to wear its Distinctive Unit Insignia:
A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Or, a bend Azure between a Moro kris paleways point up Sable, and a rattlesnake coiled to strike Gules. Attached below the shield a blue scroll inscribed 'SUIVEZ MOI' in Gold letters."
The regimental coat of arms briefly tells part of the history of the unit. The black Moro Kris commemorates more than forty engagements and expeditions in which the 14th participated during the Philippine-American War. The coiled rattlesnake pays tribute to the patrol accomplishments along the Mexican Border during 1912–1918. The blue bend and gold background represent the traditional cavalry color and the uniform of the horse cavalry soldiers.
While the 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment was inactive it was selected by author Harold Coyle to form part of the U.S. Tenth Army Corps in his 1993 techno-thriller "The Ten Thousand". It was joined by two other inactivated units: the 55th Infantry Division (as the 55th Mechanized Infantry Division) and the 4th Armored Division.
Eisenhower's chief of staff, his alter ego, General Walter Bedell Smith, termed the Remagan Bridge worth its weight in gold.
The 14th Virginia Volunteer Cavalry Regiment was a cavalry regiment raised in Virginia for service in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. It fought mostly with the Army of Northern Virginia.
Virginia's 14th Cavalry Regiment was organized in September, 1862, with nine companies, some of which had previously served in Jackson's Squadron Virginia Cavalry. The tenth company was made up of surplus men of the other companies.
The unit was attached to Jenkins', Echols', and McCausland's Brigade. It skirmished in western Virginia, then saw action at Droop Mountain and Lewisburg.
During January 1864, it had 29 officers and 424 men present for duty. The 14th continued the fight in Western Virginia, took part in the operations in the Shenandoah Valley, and disbanded in April 1865. The field officers were Colonels James Cochran and Charles E. Thorburn, Lieutenant Colonels Robert A. Bailey and John A. Gibson, and Majors B. Frank Eakle and George Jackson. A Union soldier, Private James F. Adams, was awarded the Medal of Honor for capturing the regiment's state flag during an engagement at Nineveh, Virginia, on November 12, 1864.1st Cavalry Brigade (Imperial Japanese Army)
The 1st Cavalry Brigade of the Imperial Japanese Army was originally formed November 3, 1901.
It was assigned to Kwantung Army in April 1933 as part of the IJA Cavalry Group. It was then assigned with the Cavalry Group to the Northern China Area Army in June 1938. Again with the Group it was assigned to the Mongolia Garrison Army in February 1939.1st Division (Iraq)
The 1st Division is a formation of the Iraqi Army.2004 Forward Operating Base Marez bombing
The Forward Operating Base Marez bombing took place on December 21, 2004. Fourteen U.S. soldiers, four U.S. citizen Halliburton employees, and four Iraqi soldiers allied with the U.S. military were killed in an attack on a dining hall at the Forward Operating Base next to the main U.S. military airfield at Mosul.2nd Cavalry Division (United States)
The 2nd Cavalry Division was a cavalry division of the United States Army.2nd Garrison Division of Beijing Military Region
5th Cavalry Division(Chinese: 骑兵第5师) of the National Defense Force was formed in May 1952 from 5 cavalry divisions in Inner Mongolia.
As its formation the division was composed of 3 regiments:
13th Cavalry Regiment;
14th Cavalry Regiment;
15th Cavalry Regiment.The division took part in the 1953 National Day's military parade in Beijing.
In July 1957 the division was inactivated, and all regiments were returned to military sub-districts control.
In October 1964 the division was reactivated. All three former cavalry regiments returned to the division.
In 1969 the division was converted to a garrison unit and renamed as 34th Garrison Division(Chinese: 守备第34师). Soon after the division was further renamed as 2nd Garrison Division of Beijing Military Region(Chinese: 北京军区守备第2师) in December. All cavalry regiments were converted to garrison regiments:
5th Garrison Regiment (former 13th Cavalry);
6th Garrison Regiment (former 14th Cavalry);
7th Garrison Regiment (former 15th Cavalry).In 1976 Artillery Regiment of the division was activated.
In 1981 8th Garrison Regiment was activated. By then the division was composed of 4 garrison regiments, an artillery regiment, a tank battalion and an antiaircraft artillery battalion.
In December 1985 the division was reduced and renamed as 2nd Garrison Brigade of Beijing Military Region(Chinese: 北京军区守备第2旅), which consisted of 4 garrison battalions and an artillery battalion.
In May 1992 the brigade was disbanded.317th Cavalry Regiment (United States)
The 317th Cavalry Regiment was a cavalry unit of the United States Army during the interwar period. The unit was activated as an Illinois Organized Reserve unit during the interwar period. It was disbanded after the United States entered World War II.318th Cavalry Regiment (United States)
The 318th Cavalry Regiment was a cavalry unit of the United States Army during the interwar period. The unit was activated as an Illinois Organized Reserve unit during the interwar period. It was converted into a signal aircraft warning regiment after the United States entered World War II.321st Cavalry Regiment (United States)
The 321st Cavalry Regiment was a cavalry unit of the United States Army during the interwar period. The unit was activated as a Missouri and Arkansas Organized Reserve unit during the interwar period. It was converted into a signal aircraft warning regiment after the United States entered World War II.Arif Örgüç
Arif Örgüç, also known as Mehmet Arif Örgüç, Hacı Arif Örgüç (1876 in Constantinople (Istanbul) – April 1940 in Istanbul) was an officer of the Ottoman Army and the Turkish Army.Hussards de la Mort
The Hussards de la Mort or Death Hussars were a French light cavalry company formed during the French Revolution.John B. Coulter
Lieutenant General John Breitling Coulter (April 27, 1891 – March 6, 1983) was a senior United States Army officer. Enjoying a distinguished 40-year military career, Coulter served during World War I, World War II and the Korean War.List of Kentucky Confederate Civil War units
This is a list of Kentucky Confederate Civil War Confederate units. The list of Kentucky Union Civil War units is shown separately.Operation Sayeed
Operation Sayeed (Arabic: عملية الصياد) also known as Operation Hunter in English, was a series of operations conducted in western Anbar Province by the United States Marine Corps in 2005. It was an umbrella operation, consisting of at least 11 named operations between July 2005 to December 2005. The purpose was to drive Al Qaeda in Iraq forces from the Western Euphrates River Valley. Some parts of Operation Sayeed were Operation Steel Curtain and Operation Iron Fist.There were three goals of Operation Sayeed, in addition to removing AQI from the Western Euphrates River Valley; they were to ensure there was a secure "climate" and "environment" to conduct a referendum in October and national elections in December 2005; and the third was to secure the control of the Iraqi border to the Iraqi people. Al-Anbar Governorate was divided into areas of operations: II Marine Expeditionary Force (codenamed Operation Atlanta) included Area of Operations Denver (western region), Area of Operations Topeka (Ramadi and surrounding area), Area of Operations Raleigh (Fallujah and surrounding area) and Area of Operations Oshkosh (al-Taqaddum).Soviet–Japanese border conflicts
The Soviet–Japanese border conflicts (also known as the Soviet-Japanese Border War) was a series of battles and skirmishes between the forces of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics and the Empire of Japan, as well as their respective client states of Mongolia and Manchukuo. Lasting from 1932 to 1939, most of the conflicts were small border skirmishes until May 1939, with the notable exception of the Battle of Lake Khasan. The border conflicts were resolved in a series of engagements at Khalkin-Gol, where the Soviets and Mongolians inflicted a decisive defeat on the Japanese. This resulted in the Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact. It should not be confused with the conflict in August 1945 when the Soviet Union declared war in support of the other Allies of World War II and launched the Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation.Tarinkot
Tarīnkōṭ (Pashto: ترينکوټ), also spelled as Tarin Kowt, is the capital of Urozgan Province (also written "Uruzgan") in southern Afghanistan in the Tarinkot District. Tarinkot city has a population of 71,604 (2015), with some 200 small shops in the city's bazaar.
In Tarinkot district, two major Pashtun tribal confederations are represented, Tareen tribes: Popolzai, Barakzai, Nurzai, Achakzai; and the Ghilzai tribes: Tokhi, Hotak. There are no medium or large-scale economic enterprises in the city. The provincial governor, currently Asadullah Hamdam, lives and works in a compound adjacent to the bazaar.
Tarinkot is a Provincial Centre in south central Afghanistan. The majority of land is classified as non built-up (69%) of which agriculture is 67%. Residential land accounts for 47% of built-up land. The airport is located within the municipal boundaries, accounting the second largest built-up land use (24%).Tân Cảnh Base Camp
Tân Cảnh Base Camp (also known as Đắk Tô 1) is a former U.S. Army and Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) base northwest of Kon Tum in the Central Highlands of Vietnam.V Corps (Ottoman Empire)
The V Corps of the Ottoman Empire (Turkish: 5 nci Kolordu or Beşinci Kolordu) was one of the corps of the Ottoman Army. It was formed in the early 20th century during Ottoman military reforms.Đắk Tô Base Camp
Đắk Tô Base Camp (also known as Đắk Tô 2 Airfield and Phoenix Airfield) is a former U.S. Army and Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) base northwest of Kon Tum in the Central Highlands of Vietnam.