|10th Infantry Regiment|
Coat of arms
|Branch||United States Army|
|Motto(s)||Courage and Fidelity|
American Civil War
World War II
U.S. Infantry Regiments
|9th Infantry Regiment||11th Infantry Regiment|
The regiment was first commissioned as the 10th Infantry on 3 March 1855 and was officially organized in April 1855 at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania. In 1869 the regiment was consolidated with elements of the 26th Infantry Regiment after having served in the Civil War. It was assigned to the 14th Division on 5 July 1918 and stayed there until it was relieved from assignment in 1919.
The regiment was inactively stationed at Camp Sherman, Ohio from December 1921 until June 1922 when it was reassigned to Fort Knox again on active duty. In 1923 it was assigned to the 5th Infantry Division and stayed there through World War II.
After World War II, the regiment was stationed in Kentucky on inactive duty. In 1947 it was moved to South Carolina until 1951, when it was then stationed at Indiantown Gap Military Reservation, Pennsylvania. Due to Cold War escalations, it was sent to West Germany in 1953 on active duty. Four years later it was relieved from assignment and reorganized as a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System. In 1989 it was again reorganized, this time under the United States Army Regimental System, and transferred to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command.
The regiment was divided into three separate battalions. For the most part, they served in the same theaters. However, there are some slight differences in the active service of these battalions.
The 1st battalion of this regiment was stationed at Fort Ord, California from 1961 until February 1962 when it went on active duty at Fort Carson in Colorado, where it remained until 1970. It was then relieved of its duty and reassigned to the 4th Infantry Division. Its headquarters were last transferred in 1996 to United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
The 2nd battalion was also inactivated 1 June 1957 at Fort Ord, California, and relieved from assignment to the 5th Infantry Division. After the same duties, it was activated 23 April 1960 in the Panama Canal Zone. Finally, its headquarters were transferred 4 June 1987 to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
After 19 March 1959, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3rd Battle Group, 10th Infantry were withdrawn from the Regular Army, allotted to the Army Reserve, and assigned to the 83d Infantry Division. It was almost immediately reactivated and consolidated with the 1st Battalion, 331st Infantry. It was later reorganized and redesignated 15 April 1963 as the 3d Battalion, 10th Infantry. In 1967, it was allotted to the regular army, and transferred to the 5th infantry division. Finally, its headquarters were transferred 4 June 1987 to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
Today, the 3rd Battalion, 10th Infantry Regiment conducts Basic Combat Training. The five subordinate companies conduct the transformation of civilian volunteers into competent, confident, and disciplined Soldiers who live the Army Values and are physically and mentally prepared to successfully complete the next phase of initial entry training. The Battalion is commanded by Lieutenant Colonel William Earl with Command Sergeant Major Jason Duncan.
The 10th Infantry regiment saw extensive service through several wars. Its first major tour of service was in the Civil War. Afterwards the regiment was used in the Indian wars, the Spanish and Philippine wars, and finally saw action in World War II.
The regiment saw the most action in its history during the civil war and participated in several battles listed below.
After the Civil War, the regiment was used to combat several hostile tribes in the Indian wars.
The regiment saw some action in the Spanish–American War, although minimal.
The 10th also took part in the war against the Philippine insurrection and, although not in any full-fledged battles, did see action in putting down hostile guerrillas and controlling the island.
The 10th saw heavy action across Western Europe during World War II against Nazi Germany.
10th Regiment may refer to:
10th Field Regiment Royal Artillery
10th (R/Fus) Medium Regiment Royal Artillery 1942-1946, from 16th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt)
2/10th Armoured Regiment (Australia), a unit of the Australian Army
2nd/10th Medium Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery, a unit of the Australian Army
10th Light Horse Regiment (Australia), a unit of the Australian Army
10th Malay Regiment, an irregular formation which opposed the British occupation of Maylasia
10th (North Lincoln) Regiment of Foot, a unit of the British Army
10th Royal Hussars, a unit of the British Army
10th Royal Tank Regiment, a unit of the British Army
10th Infantry Regiment (United States), a unit of the United States Army
10th Cavalry Regiment (United States), a unit of the United States Army
10th Marine Regiment (United States), a unit of the United States Marine CorpsHenry Boynton Clitz
Henry Boynton Clitz (July 4, 1824 – October 30, 1888) was a career United States Army officer who served with distinction in the Mexican–American War and in the Union Army during the American Civil War. He received brevet appointments for his service in both wars. After his release as a prisoner of war from the Confederate Libby Prison in Richmond, Virginia on July 17, 1862, he was Commandant of Cadets at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, from October 23, 1862 to July 4, 1864. Clitz was nominated and confirmed for appointment as a brevet brigadier general in the Regular Army (United States) on March 2, 1867 to rank from March 13, 1865. He retired from the Regular Army as colonel of the 10th Infantry Regiment (United States) on July 1, 1885. Clitz, whose deteriorating mental state had been noticed by relatives for several months, disappeared at Niagara Falls, New York, and was presumed drowned on October 30, 1888.Infantry Branch (United States)
The Infantry Branch (also known as the "Queen of the Battle") is a branch of the United States Army first established in 1775.