The 10 krooni banknote (10 EEK) is a denomination of the Estonian kroon, the former currency of Estonia. Jakob Hurt (1839–1907), who was an Estonian folklorist, theologian, linguist and prominent social figure during the Estonian national awakening in the 19th–20th century, is featured with an engraved portrait on the obverse side of the banknote. The 10 krooni bill is sometimes called a "Hurt".
A view of the Tamme-Lauri oak tree at Urvaste is featured on the reverse.
The EEK has been withdrawn and replaced by the euro, but the 10 krooni can be exchanged indefinitely at the currency museum of Eesti Pank for €0.64.
This is the list of commemorative coins of Estonia.Estonian kroon
The kroon (sign: kr; code: EEK) was the official currency of Estonia for two periods in history: 1928–1940 and 1992–2011. Between 1 January and 14 January 2011, the kroon circulated together with the euro, after which the euro became the sole legal tender in Estonia. The kroon was subdivided into 100 cents (senti; singular sent). The word kroon (Estonian pronunciation: [ˈkroːn], “crown”) is related to that of the Nordic currencies (such as the Swedish krona and the Danish and Norwegian krone) and derived from the Latin word corona ("crown"). The kroon succeeded the mark in 1928 and was in use until the Soviet invasion in 1940 and Estonia's subsequent incorporation into the Soviet Union when it was replaced by the Soviet ruble. After Estonia regained its independence, the kroon was reintroduced in 1992.Jakob Hurt
Jakob Hurt (22 July [O.S. 10 July] 1839 in Himmaste – 13 January 1907 [O.S. 31 December 1906] in St Petersburg) was a notable Estonian folklorist, theologian, and linguist. With respect to the last, he is perhaps best known for his dissertation on "pure" -ne stem nouns ("Die estnischen Nomina auf -ne purum", 1886). He was also featured on the 10 krooni note.
Also known as the "king of Estonian folklore", Hurt planned the publication in the 1870s of a six volume series called Monumenta Estoniae Antiquae. Hurt organised around 1400 volunteer collectors via a press campaign, who visited almost every house in Livonia collecting around 124,000 pages of folklore. Due to financial difficulties, however, only two volumes of folk songs were published in 1875-76, entitled Vana kannel (Old Zither). Two more volumes were published in 1938 and 1941. Hurt also published a three volume collection called Setukeste laulud (The Setus' Songs) between 1894 and 1907.Tamme-Lauri oak
Tamme-Lauri oak (Estonian: Tamme-Lauri tamm) is the thickest and oldest tree in Estonia, located in Antsla Parish, Võru County. The height of the tree is 17 metres (56 ft), circumference is 831 centimetres (327 in), measured 130 centimetres (51 in) from the ground. According to researchers, the tree was planted around 1326.The oak has been hit repeatedly by lighting, damaging the branches and hollowing out the center. During restoration in the 1970s an old hideout of the Forest Brothers was found inside the cavity. Seven people could stand inside the tree before it was filled with 8 tonnes (18,000 lb) of reinforced concrete. The tree is still viable, although it has lost its top because of the lightning strikes.The name of the Tamme-Lauri oak comes from Tamme-Lauri farm, which in turn got its name from the spirit that was thought to live in the oak, bringing bad and sometimes good luck. It was the spirit of fire called Laurits.Tamme-Lauri oak is depicted on the back side of Estonian ten kroon banknote. The land where the tree is located was bought by Estonian Ministry of the Environment in 2006 and the oak has been under protection since 1939.
Estonian currency and coinage
|Former Estonian Coins|
|Former Estonian banknotes|