Östermalm (Swedish pronunciation: [œstɛ(r)ˈmalm], sv: eastern city-burough) is a 2.56 km² large district in central Stockholm, Sweden. With 71,802 inhabitants it is one of the most populous districts in Stockholm. It is a wealthy area, having the highest housing prices in Sweden.
During the reign of the all-Scandinavian king Eric of Pomerania in the early 15th century, a royal cow-house was erected on the domains of the village Vädla. In the 17th century, the inhabitants of Stockholm were allowed to keep their cattle there. Since the town of Stockholm had grown and bordered on the area there were lots of complaints about animals causing damage in the town. In 1639, parts of the cow-house land were allowed to be developed, and in 1672 the eastern part became a military exercise field. During the following 200 years, some higher officers lived here but most of the inhabitants were poor.
A new town plan about 1880 implied a grid of streets and avenues that became lined with elegant houses in 4–6 floors. This put an end to the rustic appearance of the district, and the older official name Ladugårdslandet with the actual meaning cow-house land was replaced with the modern Östermalm. Since the Crown has been the owner of parts of the district for centuries a number of official buildings, museums and higher public educational institutions are located in Östermalm. In the 20th century, a large number of embassies, including those of USA, Britain, France, Germany, Poland, Thailand, Norway and Malaysia were located there.
Neighbourhoods in Östermalm include: