École Militaire

The École Militaire (French pronunciation: ​[ekɔl militɛʁ], "military school") is a vast complex of buildings housing various military training facilities in the 7th arrondissement of Paris, France, southeast of the Champ de Mars.

École Militaire
Central building of Ecole Militaire at dusk, Paris 7e 20140607 1
Central École Militaire building
TypeMilitary college

48°51′09″N 2°18′13″E / 48.85250°N 2.30361°ECoordinates: 48°51′09″N 2°18′13″E / 48.85250°N 2.30361°E


It was founded in 1750, after the War of the Austrian Succession, by Louis XV on the basis of a proposal of Marshal Maurice de Saxe and with the support of Madame de Pompadour and the financier Joseph Paris Duverney, with the aim of creating an academic college for cadet officers from poor noble families. It was designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel, and construction began in 1752 on the grounds of the farm of Grenelle, but the school did not open until 1760. The Comte de Saint-Germain reorganised it in 1777 under the name of the École des Cadets-gentilshommes (School of Young Gentlemen), which accepted the young Napoleon Bonaparte in 1784. He graduated from this school in only one year instead of two.

It now hosts:

Paryż szkoła wojskowa2
The vast complex formed by the École militaire.
École Militaire from the Place de Fontenoy
École Militaire Chapelle St Louis
St Louis Chapel at the École Militaire

External links

Ali Pasha Sherif

Ali Pasha Mohamed Sherif (1834 – February 26, 1897) (alt spelling, from French Ali Pacha Chérif) was an Egyptian government official and a renowned breeder of Arabian horses during the late 19th century.


Bingerville is a town in south-eastern Ivory Coast. It is a suburb of Abidjan and is one of four sub-prefectures of Abidjan Autonomous District. Bingerville is also a commune. The town is about 10 kilometres east of Abidjan and lies on the Ébrié Lagoon.

Originally a market town, Bingerville grew as the capital of the French colony from 1909 until 1934. It is named after Louis-Gustave Binger, a former French colonial governor. Many colonial buildings survive in the town, which is also known for its botanical gardens.

Villages in the sub-prefecture include Eloka.

Bingerville is home to École militaire préparatoire technique (EMPT), a military academy.

Prior to the 2011 reorganisation of the subdivisions of Ivory Coast, Bingerville was part of the Lagunes Region.

Champ de Mars

The Champ de Mars (French pronunciation: ​[ʃɑ̃ də maʁs] ; English: Field of Mars) is a large public greenspace in Paris, France, located in the seventh arrondissement, between the Eiffel Tower to the northwest and the École Militaire to the southeast. The park is named after the Campus Martius ("Mars Field") in Rome, a tribute to the Latin name of the Roman God of war. The name also alludes to the fact that the lawns here were formerly used as drilling and marching grounds by the French military.

The nearest Métro stations are La Motte-Picquet–Grenelle, École Militaire, and Champ de Mars-Tour Eiffel, an RER suburban-commuter-railway station. A disused station, Champ de Mars is also nearby.

Champ de Mars (Paris Métro)

Champ de Mars is a ghost station along line 8 of the Paris Métro, between the stations la Motte-Picquet - Grenelle and École Militaire. It is situated in the 7th arrondissement of Paris, to the southwest of the public garden called Champ de Mars.


Camp Coëtquidan (Camp de Coëtquidan) is a French military educational facility located in the Morbihan department of Brittany in France. It forms a part of the commune of Guer and covers an area of approximately 64 km².

It comprises:

École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr (ESM)

École militaire interarmes (EMIA) (inter-services military school)

4e bataillon de l'École spéciale militaire de Saint-Cyr.


Guer (Breton: Gwern-Porc'hoed) is a commune in the Morbihan department in Brittany in north-western France.

It is located at the edge of the famous Brocéliande Forest, which is the setting of the Round Table novels in Brittany. It is 43 km (27 mi) southwest from Rennes, the regional capital.

Camp Coëtquidan (Camp de Coëtquidan) is located in Guer and comprises three military educational facilities:

École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr, France's foremost military academy dedicated to the training of Army officers through direct recruitment;

École militaire interarmes (inter-services military school), for non-commissioned officers; and

École Militaire du Corps Technique et Administratif (military school of the technical and administrative corps).

High Mountain Military School

The École militaire de haute montagne (High Mountain Military School) (ÉMHM) is a training establishment of the French Army, that trains French and allied service personnel in mountain warfare, skiing, mountain leadership, and arctic warfare.

Institut des hautes études de défense nationale

The Institut des hautes études de défense nationale (IHEDN) (fr: Institute for Higher National Defence Studies) is a French public academic institution for research, education and promotion of expertise and sensitization towards defence matters, founded in 1936 by Admiral Raoul Castex. Originally it was the Collège des hautes études de défense nationale and was renamed an institute in 1948. To the original national training sessions were added sessions in the regions (1954), international sessions (1980), economic intelligence cycles (1995), and other targeted seminars. In 1997 the Institute became a public administrative establishment placed under the authority of the Prime Minister. In 2010 it merged with the DGA's (Direction générale de l'armement) Centre des hautes études de l’armement (Centre for Higher Armament Studies (CHEAr)). The Institute is located in the École Militaire.

The vocation of the Institute is to train high-level military, government officials and high-ranking executives in defence matters. Some sessions are reserved for young auditors, generally students in the foremost Grandes Ecoles, and under the age of 30. In 2010, the deputy director of the defense college was Robert Ranquet.

La Tour-Maubourg (Paris Métro)

La Tour-Maubourg is a station on line 8 of the Paris Métro. The station is located next to Les Invalides.

The station was opened on 13 July 1913 as part of the original section of Line 8 between Beaugrenelle (now Charles Michels, which is now on line 10) and Opéra. It is named after the Boulevard de la Tour-Maubourg, which commemorates Marquis Victor de Fay de la Tour-Maubourg (1768-1850), who was a General under Napoleon, Minister for War after the Restoration and then Governor of Les Invalides from 1821 to 1830.

Nicolas Beauzée

Nicolas Beauzée (9 May 1717 in Verdun, Meuse – 23 January 1789 in Paris) was a French linguist, author of Grammaire générale (published 1767) and one of the main contributors to the Encyclopédie of Denis Diderot and Jean-Baptiste le Rond d'Alembert on the topic of grammar. In 1772 he was named as the successor to Charles Pinot Duclos in the Académie française.

Paris Métro Line 8

Paris Métro Line 8 is one of 16 lines of the Paris Métro. It connects the Balard station in southwestern Paris to Créteil – Pointe du Lac station in Créteil (a town southeast of the French capital), following a parabolic route on the right bank of the Seine. The last line of the original 1898 Paris Métro plan, which opened in December 1913, it was initially intended to link the Porte d'Auteuil and Opéra stations.

The line was substantially modified during the 1930s as line 10 took over the western section. The current route serves the southwestern part of the city, the Grands Boulevards and the Bois de Vincennes, ending in the southeastern inner suburbs through the cities (communes) of Charenton-le-Pont, Maisons-Alfort and Créteil (which the line reached in 1974 at the Créteil – Préfecture station, after several extensions). The underground line was the first to connect the prefecture of one of the new departments of Île-de-France.

The only Paris underground line to cross the Seine and its principal tributary (the Marne) in the air via a bridge between Charenton - Écoles and École Vétérinaire de Maisons-Alfort, it also crosses the Seine underground between Concorde and Invalides. With 89 million travellers in 2004, it is the network's eighth-busiest line.

Tony Sbalbi

Tony Sbalbi AKA "Tony the tiger" (born September 4, 1969) is a French ski mountaineer and non-commissioned officer of the chasseurs alpins corps.

Sbalbi was born in Aix-en-Provence. He attended the Lycée Jean Raynouard in Brignoles. At the age of 18 years he joined the army, where he became instructor at the École militaire de haute montagne (EMHM) in Chamonix. In 1989 he participated in his first ski mountaineering race, and has been member of the French national team since 2002.

École Militaire (Paris Métro)

École Militaire is a station on line 8 of the Paris Métro near the École Militaire (military school).

The station was opened on 13 July 1913 as part of the original section of Line 8 between Beaugrenelle (now Charles Michels, which is now on line 10) and Opéra.

École de l'air

The École de l'Air is a military school and grande école training line officers in the French Air Force. It is located at Salon-de-Provence Air Base in Salon-de-Provence, France.

École de l'infanterie

The École de l'infanterie (English: "Infantry School"), formerly known as École d'application de l'infanterie, is a French military academy that trains commissioned officers, non-commissioned officers, and some enlisted personnel having special aptitudes and roles. It is located in Draguignan.

The École de l'infanterie offers over 70 different courses (either generalist, specialist or adaptation) to around 1500 trainees yearly. Five hundred additional trainees from foreign armies or from French ministries other than that of Defence, attend annual courses there.,

École des officiers de la gendarmerie nationale

L'École des officiers de la gendarmerie nationale, the French Gendarmerie nationale Officers School, was created in 1901 and based in the Schomberg barracks in Paris. It provides a military education in order to train and teach military officers who enter the officer corps. In 1918, following the First World War, the school moved to Versailles and diversified by including in its ranks officers from other armies. It was not until 1937 that the school was given a flag. This emblem was officially handed over to the chef de corps, Colonel Picot, 14 July 1937, on the Champs-Élysées by the President Albert Lebrun. During the Second World War, the school moved to Pau then back to Paris before finding its current home in the Augereau barracks in Melun on 1 October 1945.

École militaire de l'air

The École militaire de l'air (Air Force Military School) was a military school training officers of the French Air Force. It was the equivalent of the École militaire interarmes for the Army or the École militaire de la flotte for the French Navy. It ran from 1925 to 2015, when it joined the École de l'air.

École militaire interarmes

The Combined Arms School or Joint military school, known as École Militaire Interarmes or EMIA, is a military school of the French Army intended to form and train military staff including Senior and General officers who have risen from the ranks. It was founded in 1942 and based in Coëtquidan (Morbihan) along with Saint-Cyr military school.

École spéciale militaire de Saint-Cyr

The École spéciale militaire de Saint-Cyr (ESM, literally the "Special Military School of Saint-Cyr") is the foremost French military academy – often referred to as Saint-Cyr (French pronunciation: ​[sɛ̃ siʁ]) – located in Coëtquidan in Guer, Morbihan, Brittany, along with the École militaire interarmes. Its motto is Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre, literally meaning "They study to vanquish" or, more freely put, "Training for victory". French cadet officers are called saint-cyriens or cyrards. French students who enter Saint-Cyr as cadets are about 21 years old, and undergo three years of training. All ESM cadets graduate with a master of arts or a master of science and are commissioned officers.The academy was founded in Fontainebleau in 1802 by Napoleon. It was moved in 1806 to the buildings of the former Maison Royale de Saint-Louis, in Saint-Cyr-l'École, west of Paris. During the Second World War, the cadets moved several times due to the German invasion. They eventually settled in 1945 in the Coetquidan military camp in Morbihan.

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.