George Young, Lord Young

George Young, Lord Young (2 July 1819 – 21 May 1907) was a Scottish Liberal MP in the British Parliament and a judge, with the judicial title of Lord Young.

He was born at Dumfries and educated at the University of Edinburgh. He became a member of the Faculty of Advocates in 1840 and was also called to the English bar. He held the judicial offices of Sheriff of Inverness-shire in 1853–1860 and of Haddington and Berwick in 1860–1862.

He was appointed Solicitor General for Scotland in 1862–1866 and 1868–1869. He then became Lord Advocate.

He represented Wigtown Burghs in 1865–1874, until he lost an election. After an election petition, that election was declared void and the seat awarded to Young on 28 May 1874. However, in June 1874, he was appointed a Judge of the Court of Session and left Parliament.

Briefly in 1874 he was Senator of the College of Justice.

He is buried with his wife Janet (d. 1901) near the south-west corner of St John's churchyard in Edinburgh.

George Young Watkins.jpg
George Young, photograph about 1868
The grave of Lord Young, St John%27s, Edinburgh.JPG
The grave of Lord Young, St John's, Edinburgh

Content from Wikipedia