AllMusic (previously known as All Music Guide or AMG) is an online music guide. It was launched on the internet in 1991, predating the World Wide Web. 
Wordmark of AllMusic (2013).png
Logo of AllMusic (2013).png
AllMusic was launched as All Music Guide in 1990 by musician Michael Erlewine. The first All Music Guide was a 1200 page reference book, packaged with a CD-ROM, which was published in 1991. Erlewine's goal was to create an open access database that included every recording "since Enrico Caruso gave the industry its first big boost." The first digital iteration of the All Music Guide was available as a Gopher site.
The AMG consumer web properties AllMusic.com, AllMovie.com and AllGame.com were sold by Rovi in July 2013 to All Media Network, LLC. All Media Network, LLC was formed by the original founders of SideReel.com and Ackrell Capital.
Services and products
The content was initially published in book form in 1992 as the All Music Guide, and is now freely available to the public for online reference and information, as well as available via licensing for point-of-sale systems, media players, and online music stores.
All Media Network also produced the AllMusic guide series, which includes the AllMusic Guide to Rock, the All Music Guide to Jazz and the All Music Guide to the Blues. Vladimir Bogdanov is the president of the series.
In August 2007, PC Magazine included AllMusic in its "Top 100 Classic Websites" list.
- ^ "Allmusic.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- ^ "AllMusic FAQ". All Media Network, LLC. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
©2014 AllMusic, a division of All Media Network, LLC
- ^ "AllMusic". Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- ^ Wolf, Gary (February 1994). "All Music". Wired. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- ^ Nosowitz, Dan (January 30, 2015). "The Story of AllMusic, Which Predates the World Wide Web". Vice. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- ^ "Rovi Corporation Reports Second Quarter 2013 Financial Performance: Announces Agreements to Sell Rovi Entertainment Store and Consumer Website Businesses" (press release). Rovi Corporation. July 21, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2017 – via GlobeNewswire.
- ^ "Digital Entertainment Veterans Launch ‘All Media Network’ to Perfect Digital Media Discovery" (press release). Business Wire. businesswire.com. December 3, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- ^ Bowe, Brian J. (January 24, 2007). "Make it or Break it". Metro Times. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- ^ Toon, Jason (July 21, 1999). "Rock Stock: A book report on the best tomes to consult before buying tunes". Riverfront Times. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- ^ Heater, Brian (August 13, 2007). "Top 100 Classic Websites – AllMusic – Slideshow from pcmag.com". PCmag.com. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
Content from Wikipedia